Clake Fitted To 4rt

oz thumper

I have now had two long practice sessions at our trials park since fitting the CLAKE to my 06 Repsol. This Ozzie developed combined clutch and rear brake unit is a real eye opener.

I found by the second session I was cleaning sections that I had not been able to when the bike was set up conventionally. Found it totally natural and have not once gone for the missing brake pedal!!

The biggest surprise has been the ability to lock the rear wheel even on the flat and concrete surface with only reasonable pressure from the one finger and the clutch remains as light as normal.

My main reason for trying the unit was that I can rarely hit the back brake when the bike is starting to loop in a section, and I figured that as I always go for the clutch at that time if that also pulled on the rear brake there was a better chance of saving the plot.

With the CLAKE fitted that has been the case but the real improvement has been in better control particularly over rocks and drop offs.

I have found it great so far and an easy fitting job onto the bike. A really innovative approach that works for me!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

First I've heard of this unit, but after reading the website, I'm very interested. I like seeing new approaches and this looks to be a genuinely useful idea. I agree about the difficulty in using the rear brake to bring back a runaway wheelie on a steep uphill and also find I can't get a brake pedal position that is ideal so I have total control on the brake with a decent foot position on the peg.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with it.

Graham

I have now had two long practice sessions at our trials park since fitting the CLAKE to my 06 Repsol. This Ozzie developed combined clutch and rear brake unit is a real eye opener.

I found by the second session I was cleaning sections that I had not been able to when the bike was set up conventionally. Found it totally natural and have not once gone for the missing brake pedal!!

The biggest surprise has been the ability to lock the rear wheel even on the flat and concrete surface with only reasonable pressure from the one finger and the clutch remains as light as normal.

My main reason for trying the unit was that I can rarely hit the back brake when the bike is starting to loop in a section, and I figured that as I always go for the clutch at that time if that also pulled on the rear brake there was a better chance of saving the plot.

With the CLAKE fitted that has been the case but the real improvement has been in better control particularly over rocks and drop offs.

I have found it great so far and an easy fitting job onto the bike. A really innovative approach that works for me!!

I doubt it would work for my riding, Im often slipping the clutch and using the rear brake at the same time. when up against rocks ill be slipping the clutch while on the brake and when doing turns I use the rear brake to control how slow or fast I go rather than the clutch.

however, Would it be possible to fit it with the normal pedal aswell? if so I might be interested...

Tom

I can't see how this works in the world of Trials?

One lever doing two jobs? SO when the lever is pulled half way this is your clutch, Pull it a little more this is your rear brake?

SO when you need to slip the clutch and use your rear brake at the same time how do you do this?

I can't see how this works in the world of Trials?

One lever doing two jobs? SO when the lever is pulled half way this is your clutch, Pull it a little more this is your rear brake?

SO when you need to slip the clutch and use your rear brake at the same time how do you do this?

The best thing is to look at the Clake web site http://WWW.CLAKE.COM, the best information is in the FAQ section. You will see that the set up can be varied by changing the cams in the lever assembly.

Mine is set so that there is quite a bit of overlap between the clutch and rear brake. That is the clutch is still dragging quite a bit as the rear brake comes on, more movement of the lever frees the clutch a bit more and applies more brake.

The transition is very smooth and has good feel to it.

The unit also allows you to slide your finger inboard about 10mm and that gives less overlap and is used by some when changing gear, there is also a further facility called roll back that completely clears the clutch so that you can pull the bike back when in gear. Strangely, on my 4RT I can get neutral much easier when using the roll back position than I could with the normal set up.

I do have a couple of photo's and will try to work out how to post them.

There are about twenty trials machines fitted with the CLAKE in Australia including a couple of our expert grade riders. I only ride C grade so I can't tell you how it works at the expert end, but can tell you that the majority of the guys that have tried out my bike here in W.A found it exceptionally easy to ride with.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

First I've heard of this unit, but after reading the website, I'm very interested. I like seeing new approaches and this looks to be a genuinely useful idea. I agree about the difficulty in using the rear brake to bring back a runaway wheelie on a steep uphill and also find I can't get a brake pedal position that is ideal so I have total control on the brake with a decent foot position on the peg.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with it.

Graham

Well first trial of the year at the weekend and rode the 4RT equipped with the CLAKE and my enthusiasm for the concept continues to grow. If not for a most uncharacteristic spit and stop from the motor whilst riding into a section, on a paved area!, I would have equaled the winning score in our grade, well above where I have been riding in the past.

Without thinking about it I have moved to riding more on the balls of my feet ( could feel more than usual fatigue in the calf !) and the bike feels more stable both on steep downhill sections as well as much easier to recover when getting off line going up.

For those who can't see it's use in trials, not here to convince you - same as fuel injection and programmable throttle bodies etc. - Just passing on that it works great for me. ( And apparently Matt Newland who took out the A grade championships in Victoria and Tasmania last year!!)

To ride trials you need to be able to use the rear brake and clutch independently and at infinately variable rates at every section.

This is a non starter, unless you have a different sport down under?

Hi Nigel,

I respect your experience but I would disagree that "This is a non starter" we ARE using the CLAKE here in trials and in Matts case winning.

The way it operates is that there is an overlap between clutch and brake that is set by the choice of cams in the lever, The more the lever is pulled the more the clutch clears and the more brake is applied.

I can't think of many circumstances where you want to be engaging the clutch fully and applying the rear brake hard. ( I have done this plenty of times due to incompetent use of the brake pedal, but not intentionally!!)

Again accept that many people will prefer the traditional set up, but have found that most riders who have tried it prefer the CLAKE system. It really is something you have to experience to appreciate how well it works.

I got my unit on the basis I could return it if I didn't like it, and I was convinced during my first ride.

As for different sport down under, well it was 39.9 degrees C according to weather bureau at the start of the weekend trial, so we don't have a hell of a lot of snotty mud around !!!

Thanks for the report and well done!

I welcome things like this; it's great to see a genuinely viable alternative approach. As mentioned, it will not be to everyone's tastes, but it's nice to have an option. After all, the foot brake is only a legacy from old rod operated drums!

Graham