Irc Rear Tyre

paul w

I've tried one on a Majesty a couple of times (same back wheel as 175) and it won't stay fully seated on the rim. It will seat when first inflated and blown out but when the pressure was let down about an 8" long section on one side dropped off the rim. This was at about 8psi, I hadn't even got down to normal running pressure. This happened regularly, I'd reinflate it and seat it back on the rim but as soon as the pressure dropped to about 8psi one section dropped back off the rim.

I've had the same happen on a KT rear wheel, there is something about the tubed Yam/KT rims that won't allow the tubeless tyre to seat properly. I've used them on an Ossa and Bultaco without problem but not the Yam or KT.

If you already have the tyre you may as well try it but if you are going to buy one for that bike there is the risk it will not fully seat on the rim at lower presuures.

Edited by Woody

I've so far fitted tube type IRCs to the rear wheels of:

TY250B

Majesty (TY250D wheel)

OSSA MAR MkII (shoulderless Akront)

and found that after a bit of perseverance and leaving them pumped up to 20psi between rides, that the IRC stays on these rims at 6psi.

I also find that the tube gets moved around in one direction inside the tyre.

If you look at a tubeless rim there is a small lip which stops the tyre from coming off the rim ( this is also the reason for the loud pop when the tyre is seated ) To convert a tube type rim to tubeless try welding a small lip around the rim ( a full weld run should not be necessary ) or use a grinder to create one ( tedious and not ideal )

I find a tubed tyre grips ok and does not give problems on a twinshock,and you can fix a flat in the car park.

If you ride really hard or do the expert rout you may need a tubless but for ordinary twinshock its not worth the extra cost.

If you really need a tubless tyre fit a new rim then your sorted