Main Bearings Gone

gaz

just a few more notes for poor souls who get the swishing sound...put motor together this afternoon. Don'y know if I did right or wrong by the manual (I didn't get one to tell me about this job) however I put the new bearings and crank assembly in the freezer set the crank halves on blocks so that the insides faced up, heated the crank halfs with my blowlamp until they good and hot (expanded) fitted seals from inside and bearings to follow didnt need to hit the bearings just pushed in by hand (but helped the seals into place with a piece of ally bar I had handy) due to tempreture differences,, allowed the bearings to grip and the heat to transfer to them put a wipe of grease on crank ..dropped drive side of crankshaft in first having greased and located new gasket onto drive side still faceing up , timing side followed (all this whilst drive side not moved all gearbox etc with it I wanted minimun moving it about in case bits fell out of place) when this lot was done( and I 'd had a cuppa to smugly concratulate myself) i heated (not too hot just enoughto get it to bite) the drive side pinion gear cleaned the taper and dropped gear on to taper and air wrenched it tight. ( i reckon that should hold, always dubious about tapers but realy they are incredible ) clutch assembly straightforward .don't forget shim (some would say washer) airwrenched clutch centre and remade lock tag. only other things to look out for are the spacer inside kickstart spring has a slot in it to clear the spring if it's not right the cover won't go into place. Also there is a shim/washer to go on the gearstick shaft. It took me about 40 minutes being ultra carefull and clean which was about twice as long as took to get it apart. Only thing I'm not happy about is best part of 50 quid (from BVM.. perhaps the most expensive trials dealer in the world) for a gasket set to do a job which really shouldn't be neccessary on a sixteen month old bike; the bearings and seals;.... well what can one say it's all been said. Hope this is of use to next fella who has to do this. I did hear of somebody paying local trials dealer c. 700 quid to do this job.. half that would be an easy days work for most folk.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv got mine back together now. I didnt have to heat anything up though. It was easier than I thought it was going to be, although I probably wont find out til I give it a proper ride.

I found though that plug looked quite black. So not sure if im running the right fuel oil mix at 1.5% (75ml oil to 5ltr fuel) or is the fuel air ratio (carb settings) right? Is there a procedure to setting up the carb like the keihn?

I totally agree with chewy on the gaskets. For what the gaskets are,

Setting carb up gaz all I have ever done is to get motor warmed up set tickover as slow as it is comfortable with then adjust airscrew untill it runns smoothest (with my Beta 08 200 has old type carb whatever it is< the airscrew is an airscrew i.e it is before the fuel pickup so it is in to richen and out for weaker).

I did have a little pop at float height adjustment to try to stop it overflowing and occasionally flooding when pointing downhill, hasn't affected running in in the back garden have to try it in "anger" soon.

Regards buying gaskets I simply ordered it expecting it to cost c. 25 quid;.. I think I'll have to go back to the old days of making my own.

Just to add insult to injury for me with this job the thermostat refused to switch ( did old trick of joining it's connector wires together and bingo fan on good and strong), put thermostat in saucpan and brough to boil... still no continuity across terminals so I guess thats another

Just to add insult to injury for me with this job the thermostat refused to switch ( did old trick of joining it's connector wires together and bingo fan on good and strong), put thermostat in saucpan and brough to boil... still no continuity across terminals so I guess thats another

• 1 month later...

What Can I say thats not already been said!!!it's not a difficult job but shuold not be neccesary on such young bikes details regarding doing the job here...somewhere! I have tried to elicit some reason for this but it seems less said soonest mended is the attitude. As I said elswhere final insult was

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bumping another old thread, just though it was better than starting a new one.

Im getting excessive vibration through my foot pegs and i believe it to be the mains.

It seems all you need is Mains, main seals and a centre crankcase gasket.

Has anyone had any joy with Branded Bearings like SKG, rather than going to beta and paying over twice as much?

cheers

even the seals though seem to be a standard part according to some of the posts on TC, Think im going to check all my bolts and then re-examine the mains issue

I would not risk a motor with cheap seals. The Beta ones are known to last many years!

Hmmm I had a set go out on my '05. Paid a friend who's just become a dealer to fix them. Partly because I didn't have the space and partly because he needed the experiance. They didn't make any kind of swishy noise. They sounded like a rock crusher. Rather impressive actually. I'll have to keep an ear on my '08.