Jack Wood Trial Statistics

micm

The Jack Wood trial is a trial where a later riding number is of some advantage. Of the last 20 riders, numbers 136 to 156 inclusive, 18 of the bikes were of one make. This clustering occurred nowhere else in the entry by a large margin. Included in the 18 bikes were the team manager and team mechanic respectively together with their sponsored riders. The particular make of bike is popular in South Yorkshire so one could make too much of this grouping. However it does look rather odd from an outsiders point of view, especially one who prays towards Harrogate!

We run a round of the Novogar Championship and if 18 entries turned up in one envelope, they would start the trial in consequtive numerical order. Entries in order of receipt; that might look odd but there would be nothing sinister about it at all.

Maybe this is what happened???

If that were the case it would require some very good timing to get those numbers for that many riders. I hope the first contributors suspicions are ill founded. It does seem a folly for manufacturers and importers etc to see good results neccesary for good market share. Yes it's great to compete with your mates thats what sport should be about. Perhaps a better indicatoin of what makes a bike a good buy would be proportion of total sales income spent by each marque on sales promotion costs along with total number of bikes sold. We should never lose sight of the fact that such costs are built into the sale price of either the bikes or the associated parts and equipment. If we continue along the lines that we are we could end up with a similar situation as motor racing (formula one) ore dare I say one where the tail wags the dog regarding ballots servicing/support. In the words of J.J. Cale money talks!

As secretary of a trial that offers a late number to an early entry, I frequently get asked why one particular rider always has a late number and why this particular rider seems to have a late number in virtually every trial in which he takes part.

I can't speak for other secretaries but as for myself, the reason this rider gets a late number is because his entry arrives first, virtually without fail, therefore I follow my own regs and allocate him a late number.

With regard to the Jack Wood, I can't speak for the secretary, but if a organised Team Manager sent me 18 entries in one envelope and that envelope was one of the first to arrive, then I would allocate him late numbers. Simple. If the regs say early entry late number, it doesn't matter whether the envelope contains one entry or 50 entries.

Equally, you would be surprised at the number of riders who enter fairly late and still expect a late number!

As secretary of a trial that offers a late number to an early entry, I frequently get asked why one particular rider always has a late number and why this particular rider seems to have a late number in virtually every trial in which he takes part.

I can't speak for other secretaries but as for myself, the reason this rider gets a late number is because his entry arrives first, virtually without fail, therefore I follow my own regs and allocate him a late number.

With regard to the Jack Wood, I can't speak for the secretary, but if a organised Team Manager sent me 18 entries in one envelope and that envelope was one of the first to arrive, then I would allocate him late numbers. Simple. If the regs say early entry late number, it doesn't matter whether the envelope contains one entry or 50 entries.

Equally, you would be surprised at the number of riders who enter fairly late and still expect a late number!

Just what I said, but better put. :rotfl:

Morning

I'm the secretary for the Jack Wood.

Firstly the entries are compliled in order of reciept, once the trial is full which it was within less than three weeks of regs being posted in the calendar on this website and being posted to the 08 riders who sent an envelope with their entry. Whithin the club we have a small (e) mailing list which I sent out with details of where regs could be found in order that we could drum up support.

In addition I get as much publicity in TMX as possible.

This year we have a reserve list which was well over 20 riders and when someone dropped out the rider at the top of the list was slotted in.

I use the same system as mentioned here ie 10 entries arrive in one envelope (and they do) then they are kept together.

Every rider sends their entry straight away, expects a late number and can't believe it when they get an early one.

With regards to bike make, this is purely by chance in relation to entry reciept and numbers, there were infact 60 odd gasgas, 40 odd beta and the rest spilt, sorry I can't remember the exact numbers (only 9 sherco, I do remember that, they look OK, is there something I don't know?), this is from the origional entry list the third to last rider was in fact on a Mont.

With regards to the late entry/easier section debate this will always rumble on. We would argue that the trial is balanced, Dave 'Haggis' Knaggs is the chief section plotter and takes a great effort to ensure this is the case, I'm the last rider, picking up flags and collecting score cards and know how hard some of the sections had become. Every section is ridden in and cleaned before the event, we have to wire brush the rocks on the Kwai before we can get near them. Evidence of this would be in '08 number 12 won the clubman class, in '07 Lee Sampson won as one of the first national route riders.

Else where on this forum there seems t be a problem with the results I posted. I thought the spreadsheet included both classes and a separate list for the Kwai (I need to do this as there is an award for the best ride on the group), there only seems to be one PDF. It's the first time I've done it, I'll give it another go.

Dougie Pumpkin, as I'm so disorganised perhaps you would like to give the secretary job for both the club nationals next year a go, I've done it for the last 5 or so and I'm sick of the criticism, moaning, accusations of cheating, workload, lack of thanks etc etc - but I strongly believe in putting something back into a sport I take from and as a club with an small band of workers we have to spread the work out as best as possible.

As a slight aside, we think we have the only 1 lap, 50 section trial left in the UK - does anyone know of another? Most nationals are less sections or two laps +.

well i fo one would like to say thanks,hillsborough are among the very best trials that i attend,general feeling among the group i rode round with were that the sections were dead right and that there was'nt a duffer among them all day, i know that it's so hard to get sections right especially as there are so many good riders on the clubmen route these days and it must be murder to cater for all abilitys in just that class.

any way thanks for putting on what's probably the best 1 day trials this year.

well i fo one would like to say thanks,hillsborough are among the very best trials that i attend,general feeling among the group i rode round with were that the sections were dead right and that there was'nt a duffer among them all day, i know that it's so hard to get sections right especially as there are so many good riders on the clubmen route these days and it must be murder to cater for all abilitys in just that class.

any way thanks for putting on what's probably the best 1 day trials this year.

Agreed :thumbup::rotfl: First time ride for me, certainly wont be the last,

As a slight aside, we think we have the only 1 lap, 50 section trial left in the UK - does anyone know of another? Most nationals are less sections or two laps +.

Allan Jefferies 1 lap 44 sections. This year the trial is on 12/7/09

Scott is one lap of 76 sections, you cross your tracks going in & out from the start but generally there's 76 different sections.

& cheating slightly :rotfl:

Reeth 3 day is one lap of 110 sections

SSDT is one lap of 180 sections

Why does the AJ always have to be just before our 3 Day when I'm busy marking out?

Dead easy to get a late number in this trial. You don't even have to be on a Gas Gas. Just watch out in the press for the entries being out, get an entry form and send it straight back. Simple!!!

Well done to Hillsborough mcc for an excellent trial. Sections were spot on for me. Nice and straightforward with no silly trick riding needed using some of the best trials land in the country.

Nice and straightforward with no silly trick riding needed

That's what all trials should be like! I know getting access to land is difficult but I think it is a real waste when clubs get a massive bit of land and end up putting silly hoppy boppy setions in!

Wish I lived in Scotland :rotfl:

I thought Sunday was excellent, all the times I have ridden its been the same.

I dropped to the easy course this year as I'm officially old but I had a great day and thats what its all about.

3 hour drive to get there plus the clocks changing saturday night, I'm just about recovered now :rotfl:

3 hour drive to get there plus the clocks changing saturday night, I'm just about recovered now :rotfl:

I had the joy of driving just 1.5 hours to the trial but had 3.5 hours to get to high wycombe after the trial, Killer! Feel sorry for the bloke I recognised from north berks who was riding, especially if he drove up and back down in the same day.

worth it for a trial like that tho.

Where did you finish Baldilocks?