Week 113 - Thanks Sheep!

Andy

rapley_header_beta.jpg

The trial is named after Scottish rider Ian Pollock who was tragically killed in a road traffic accident during the trial many years ago and the trial is a fitting tribute and memorial to a fine young man who is no longer with us. Good on the club for organising the event and providing such a wealth of excellent sections and terrain on which to ride. I have absolutely no idea for how long it will continue, but make the effort to take part if you possibly can as the journey north may well be long and arduous, but the trial is certainly well worth it.

Sorry Michael, but that is inaccurate! Let me clear this one up.

Ian Pollock did ride a little in trials but he was best known as one of the original Fort William Committee of the SSDT who lived and worked in Kinlochleven at the British Aluminium factory. He was born in Falkirk, Stirlingshire and moved to Kinlochleven just after the war as it was then a boom town! He was responsible for discovering the Loch Eild Path; Pollock Way; German Camp (Leiter Bo Fionn) and of course the path now known as Blackwater.

You have actually confused Pollock with the late Ian Fender who tragically died of injuries sustained during the 1991 SSDT at North Ballachulish, right opposite the petrol station on the first day. Ian was on his TY250 Yamaha and had ridden the Lagnaha sections and had merely to ride back to the on the A82 back to the parc ferme in the West End car park of Fort William. An impatient south-bound Vauxhall Cavalier driver with a sail board mounted on his roof, attempted a blind overtaking manoevre of a south-boundlogging artic truck and didn't see Ian coming in the opposite direction. The driver subsequently admitted full responsibility for the fatal accident at the inquest some months later.

I had the misfortune to be travelling some 25 minutes behind the accident on my way to Lagnaha and had to pass by the accident, the sight of the downed Yamaha lying just to the side of the road, is something I will never forget.

The committee asked if the trial should continue and the Fender family's wish to continue was obeyed. Ian Fender's funeral at Perth Crematorium the next week was one of the largest I have ever attended. I think most of that years' competitors attended as a mark of respect.

Hope this clears this up Mike, anyone can make a mistake!

Big John

Edited by Big John

Thanks for clarifying the error on my part. Now that you have mentioned the tragic circumstances I recall Ian Fender's death and have confused him with Ian Pollock. My apologies to all concerned; the error was a genuine one and I trust all will accept my admission in the manner in which I make it.

Mike Rapley

I was kinda disappointed when I read this week's column after seeing the headline. I was expecting a biography of Perce :thumbup:

I recognised the special role that sheep have played in our sport years ago, homage will be paid at this years Three Day.

rapley_header_beta.jpg

Trials riders have a lot to thank sheep for!............................................................................

Whilst taking part I got to chatting with Mark Whitham, the SSDT clerk of the course, and asked when the Scottish routes will be announced. They are unlikely to be announced this week, but should be available next week. He tells me that there are still some decisions to be made regarding some new groups they have located, but he also told me Monday’s confirmed route. Whilst I cannot divulge what Monday’s planned route is to be, I can tell you that it is nothing like anything that has been plotted before and seems to me to be a very tough first day. What I can confirm is that it will finish at Lagnaha, which of course is always the most popular and readily accessible spectator group.

Yes we have a rearranged monday which will get you into the groove :o with a bang !! - the first moor of the morning is inaccessible to sheep - maybe mountain goats should be thanked for this one :thumbup:

Edited by overthehill

Will you people kindly refrain from putting the frightners on us poor souls who will be early on Monday.

So far I think we are starting at Trotters, at some point we will need oxygen for the moor that sheep cant reach and we will end the day hopefully at Lagnaha.......

YIKES

This sounds interesting, so should we start a pool see who gets closest???

Fort William

Annat

Muirshearlich..Trotters..(you knew where I meant)

Gairlochy

Spean bridge

The new Big Sections above Roybridge

Fersit

Creaguinach Lodge

Blackwater

Pipeline

Over Mhartuim

down Altnafeadh

Some killer new groups at the top end of Glencoe

Over the moor from Ballahulish into Lagnaha the back way

Fort William.

If not we can always dream... :thumbup:

Lochaber Club owe our access to the fantastic land we use for trials in Kinlochleven and Glen Nevis to Rio Tinto Alcan, the landowners. Their land agent is a pleasure to work with, but we have to respect RTA's property and treat every event as if it were our last. I'm sure about your analysis of the role of sheep and shepherds Mike - we're starting to find a few of them - shepherds that is - who are outright hostile, so we may be investing in more bottles of the amber nectar than previously, to lubricate their happy glands.

Land access is as demanding an issue for our club as it is for everyone else's. We've started to build up more information on all of the venues we use, including accurate maps showing course layouts and places to avoid, for example SSSIs, information such as parking facilities, closed seasons (times when we can't use the land due to lambing, deer stalking and so on), contact names and numbers etc. This is one of the ways we are using to show our care for landowners' property and to be proactive in working with them. Let's face it - our sport's days are numbered if all we do is to take advantage of landowners' generosity and don't show regard to their needs.

On another slightly different tack - due to lack of observers, we had to cut three sections from the lap at the Pollock Trial. Anybody out there who would like to help Lochaber Motorcycle Club to continue to run trials across the finest land in the UK kindly get in touch via our (soon to be updated) web site on www.lochabermcc.com.

Chris Jones