Nearly There

nigel dabster

Outlaw Dave has the sequence of Martin taking a 5 in 1979 on Ben Nevis to lose the trial.......Thats just weird! If you go to Outlawtrials.com, and click on the gallery, then click on the classic album, it is the last few pictures.

Outlaw Dave has the sequence of Martin taking a 5 in 1979 on Ben Nevis to lose the trial.......Thats just weird! If you go to Outlawtrials.com, and click on the gallery, then click on the classic album, it is the last few pictures.

Some great pictures, was there and saw it.

Some great pictures, was there and saw it.

Will see you at Gala, Ross and, despite what you saw and what the Press hyped up at the time, I can tell you how Martin did not lose the trial at Ben Nevis but at Mamore.

Will see you at Gala, Ross and, despite what you saw and what the Press hyped up at the time, I can tell you how Martin did not lose the trial at Ben Nevis but at Mamore.

I disagree mate. From memory there was still two or three marks between Mart and Malc when they hit the Ben, Mart fived the last un, Malc cleaned em, I was there as well.

Stand to be proved wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was what happenned

....and you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife on the Ben today, that audible intake of breathe, just doesn't get any better.

I disagree mate. From memory there was still two or three marks between Mart and Malc when they hit the Ben, Mart fived the last un, Malc cleaned em, I was there as well.

Stand to be proved wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was what happenned

....and you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife on the Ben today, that audible intake of breathe, just doesn't get any better.

A five on a comparatively difficult section at the Ben can happen to any ace as "one of those things". I was at Mamore earlier in the week when Martin fived a tricky, round a tree then across a slab, but, by top level standards, easier, section through appearing to use a gear higher than everyone else and the speed was just too great for the grip available at the angle of attack. As luck would have it I didn't get the photo. As a young fan I was aghast and the memory has accordingly stayed all these years. One of those occasions where even the best of riders just misjudges things when under pressure I suppose. I remain of the opinion that that is where the trial was really lost.

I'd wager that Ian Austermuhle lost this year's trial on Wednesday at Upper Mamore when his bike, running like a bag of spanners, died about 2 bike lengths short of the ends cards on the first half of a double sub for a 5, then got a three on the top sub after getting his bike started again, still running rough as hell. Might've been better sorting it out before riding the top one...

Wiggy took his only 3 marks of the day on that top sub as well, could say that lost him the trial too.

Didn't get any photos!