First Bike - 2 Stroke Or 4 Stroke?

andysv1k

Im starting to look around at used bikes, just really taking in all the prices, watching them come and go on ebay etc so that when i choose to buy i will have a better idea on value.

one question i have though is, as a complete novice to trials, but not to bikes, whats people's views on 2 stroke or 4 stroke as a first bike.

I guess one of the biggest issues is maintenance as a 2 stroke will be far simpler to maintain.

but what about actual riding?

pros and cons to either?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

Andy.

why dont you go along to a trial this weekend, chat to some owners of bike that you like the look of and ask for a quick spin, you will be surprised at what you find. the ones you like the look of might not ride 'nice' and some of the others are really easy to get on with.

i made a mistake with my first bike, struggled for a few months, sold it boughts a 200 sherco and went forward in leaps and bounds.

ok, some say 4 stroke some say 2 stroke...

either i buy a 4 stroke and take some bits out then, or find someone who makes a 3 stroke!

Has anyone owned both and can tell me the practical differences between them while riding?

Andy.

I am not saying all 4T's are going to be good to learn on. Infact some would be terrible first bike choices. I am a total scorpa lover, i love the sy 2T but ended up with a SY125 by accident.

(both at the same time) I loved it so much i decided to get 250 4T Beta. in my mind the beta rides more like my 2 stroke scorpa than the little 4 stroke scorpa.

I would say you will be fine as long as you dont get power hungry to early, buy wise and you probably wont loose loads if you decide to swap bikes.

I cant sing the praises of the little scorpas enough tho, the best bike i have ever owned. i will be looking for a sy200, if you see one let me know.