Tight Mid Back?

I'm not sure if it is from trials but my mid back muscles tend to be tight and sore. It is the area of arching when standing on the bike. These are the muscles just below the shoulder blades. Are there any exercises or stretches that can loosen up this area? The yoga "plow" helps some but not much seems to reach this area.

I'm not sure if it is from trials but my mid back muscles tend to be tight and sore. It is the area of arching when standing on the bike. These are the muscles just below the shoulder blades. Are there any exercises or stretches that can loosen up this area? The yoga "plow" helps some but not much seems to reach this area.

I have no idea what current state your in so I suggest visiting your MD etc to rule out any issues such as osteoporosis etc.

A thoracic curve should measure between 30 to 35

Warning/disclaimer..I am not a doctor but I do like to dress up and play doctors and nurses :D:thumbup:

This reply does not supercede anything that BillyCraig has typed but this has worked for me:

I'm reckoning on you having the same problem that I had (imagine a pain in your back between your shoulder blades just where your bra strap would fasten :angry: ?).

Go to the corner of a room,put your left hand on the left wall and the right on the right (at shoulder height/width) then try to put your nose forward into the junction of the two walls.

The effect you are looking for is to push your shoulder blades back as your chest comes forward.

Repeat etc.. blah,blah..

Edited by HAM2

The pain/ stiffness is not between the shoulder blades but below. There is sort of a slab of muscle on each side of the spine that is tight. I assume this is spinal erector and something else. I'll get a foam roller. To approximate the old chiropractic roller table (interstatioal traction?), I made a roller of 5" plastic drain pipe with relief in the middle for my spine. Rolling back and forth on it also helps and gets some good back cracks.

A commonly used method is to place red dots around someones desk and office/work space. The aim is that it reminds them to move back into the posture they've been taught is correct as its easy to slump forward through fatigue etc. The same goes for handlebars, unless you make your living riding its possibly better that someone stands alongside you while you alter/move things to get spine in a more natural position. Riding may suffer in the short term but your back will thank you for it and you'll still be a trials rider in your old age (unless you look after your back and neglect everything else) :thumbup:

The more you slump into forward posture the less mobility you have, I get to see it on a daily basis as my clinic is at a T junction, I see lots of people having to turn their whole body because the neck won't turn enough anymore. By the time they've moved back into a driving position they need to check again

• 3 months later...

i know this sounds gay but can you touch your toes a lot of lower back problems are caused buy hanstrings being to tight of you do 2 before riding and 2 after riding do a 30 second stretch trying to get your parms to touch the floor without bending your knees do it for a few day i bet it helps :wacko:B)

• 1 month later...
Warning/disclaimer..I am not a doctor but I do like to dress up and play doctors and nurses :rotfl::)

This reply does not supercede anything that BillyCraig has typed but this has worked for me:

I'm reckoning on you having the same problem that I had (imagine a pain in your back between your shoulder blades just where your bra strap would fasten :rotfl: ?).

Go to the corner of a room,put your left hand on the left wall and the right on the right (at shoulder height/width) then try to put your nose forward into the junction of the two walls.

The effect you are looking for is to push your shoulder blades back as your chest comes forward.

Repeat etc.. blah,blah..

Update:A much easier version , would be to perform a push up using 2 thick books (4/5 inches) to place your hands on, then lower your chest ...seeempuls!

Billy may correct me here, but one thing I would suggest when riding is to try and adapt more to the bent knees and let the quads take the punishment(and development) while riding. As when the quads are not employed,the rider then stands more straight legged and when tired, causing even more stress to the thoractic and cervicle spine due to the higher body position on the bike.

If nothing else, toes on the pegs and drop the heels to lower your body a couple inches while in cruise mode.

I did use a bit taller bars for several years, yet as time has gone on and I have become become accustomed to having the bars further forward, this also seems to allow for a straighter position in the thoractic region. Yet that in itself could have a negative reaction in the neck (cervical) region while having to keep the head erect by constant looking up. Not sure about that.

Botom line,it seems easier to maintain proper upper body positioning and reduce stress if you keep them knees bent and let the leggs do the work, which still becomes more difficult as you tire! :)

Oh,and I have the roller as well, yet never :rotfl: replaces the chineese girls that walk on your back!

Bottom line, if you can keep the weight into the leggs at a bent position, overall it seems to help your riding and your score, as well as the fatigue on the rest of the body!

Edited by copemech

i know this sounds gay but can you touch your toes a lot of lower back problems are caused buy hanstrings being to tight of you do 2 before riding and 2 after riding do a 30 second stretch trying to get your parms to touch the floor without bending your knees do it for a few day i bet it helps :rotfl::)

fwiw I have never been able to touch my toes, or sit crossed legged either !