Adults Riding A New 125?

ticket2ride

Are there any adults out there riding a new(ish) 125?

Just looking at getting a new bike and am curious about this new breed of more powerful 125's....

About 10 odd years ago, I switched from a 270 gasser to one of the 160's and had great fun with it!!

It's been about 3 years since I've been out and from what I can gather the 07/08 125's are supposed to be more a more reasonable adult ride nowadays??

Any opinions or experience?

I sold my 3.2 4t sherco a few months back just before a trial so I jumped on my son's '08 125 Sherco for the event. I totally expected to struggle, but I ended up finishing better than I usually do and I weigh 190 pounds and ride the advanced class. I have since got a '09 sherco 125 and got there 200 kit for it. I still do just as well on 125 though.

Im sure Billy Craig will be along soon to tell you all about it. from what I gather he absolutly loves his 125 Gasser, he did the SSDT on it too which is pretty impressive!

All the best

Tom

Suppose I am an adult nowadays at 33 :thumbup:

Are there any adults out there riding a new(ish) 125?

Just looking at getting a new bike and am curious about this new breed of more powerful 125's....

About 10 odd years ago, I switched from a 270 gasser to one of the 160's and had great fun with it!!

It's been about 3 years since I've been out and from what I can gather the 07/08 125's are supposed to be more a more reasonable adult ride nowadays??

Any opinions or experience?

I'd say go for it, I dropped down from a 300 Raga as I felt I was just to over biked in harder trials. Was fine in local club trials but theirs lots of time to sort everything out. Dropped to a 280 but still felt when it got tough I spent all my time controlling the bike.

Contemplated a 250 but had my eye on a 125 as all these kids are getting mega talented since they got forced to stay on them. When I was 12 I went straight on a 250 Yamaha so I figured I'd go back and learn to ride better.

I'm not doing amazing but I've defiantly improved a lot since i got it, the SSDT seemed easier (until I had problems on the last day) as I rode the sections with more control, the moors seemed easier as well which I wasn't expecting.

Its done every novagar this year and its made it up everything, needs riding rather than just relying on the throttle to get you out of trouble but its amazing fun.

Big test is the MacKenzie on sunday and then the Scott in October, sure the bikes up to it.....just me that needs improvement :thumbup:

I have looked at the 125's , had one untill couple years back that I would ride club events on, rather than the big bike, and have ridden the ones newer than my old '03.

Bottom line, they are good trainers, yet must be ridden with more aggression and skill in the revs, throttle and clutch control because they have little torque off the bottom, must keep the revs up, rev/ pop, rev/ pop.

This is all fun, yet in reality I am finding myself far too lazy for that riding style(old and out of shape)! They just don't mix any longer.

A good 200 or 250 is just easier to ride! :thumbup:

...thanks for the feedback guys....

....I think we're on similar lines Billy......I'm 33 too!!...and jumped on a Beta 240 when I was about 13......the switch back to the 160 made me work it a bit harder, but I felt a little more 'in-charge'.....back in those days though, the 125's had rear sprockets about the size of a dustbin lid and just made noise!! withouth really moving anywhere's....

Think I'll give the 125 a go.....been offered a new 08 Rev 3 for reasonable money, so if it doesn't work out I shouldn't stand to loose too much....

Bit of an aside, any recommendations for clubs/practise areas on the Notts/Derby border?

Cheers chaps...

...thanks for the feedback guys....

....I think we're on similar lines Billy......I'm 33 too!!...and jumped on a Beta 240 when I was about 13......the switch back to the 160 made me work it a bit harder, but I felt a little more 'in-charge'.....back in those days though, the 125's had rear sprockets about the size of a dustbin lid and just made noise!! withouth really moving anywhere's....

Think I'll give the 125 a go.....been offered a new 08 Rev 3 for reasonable money, so if it doesn't work out I shouldn't stand to loose too much....

Bit of an aside, any recommendations for clubs/practise areas on the Notts/Derby border?

Cheers chaps...

Probably rode together then as I'm in that area. Sutton Falcons, Mansfield Maun, Pathfinders, YMSA. We practice at Hawks Nest, Hermitage Farm and Bracken Rocks when Mansfield Maun open it up. Off for a few days practice this week if you get your bike.

I had my first go on a Gasser 125 yesterday and really enjoyed it, bike felt plenty powerfull enough and very very easy to ride, bottom end was stronger than I thought it would be and Iam sure I would get used to it within a day. Due to its obvious lack of power compared to the bigger bikes you put it where you want it to go not the other way around, I was well impressed :thumbup: will be on the look out for a fuel injected one as of now.

Just to add this was an ex ACE Team Trial bike so expect it had a few mods,still impressive though and I think another TC regular was impressed as well

Edited by The Addict