Converting Monoshocks To Twinshocks. Fair Or Foul ?

old trials fanatic

Yep. Nothing wrong with that in the least.

There you have it, in a nutshell.

Ok but you will soon have more classes than riders. How about a class for people called John ? or bikes that are red ?

Come on guys you know why people do it.

It's to gain an unfair advantage.

Nothing more nothing less.

Theres already a class for them and we are going to lose one of our best venues as a club because of the air cooled monoshock class at our club. Fact !!!!!

The land owner also wont allow clubs who allow freak bikes like converted monos to compete either.

Truth not a wind up. Thanks then.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me more is the loss of the pre unit big bangers,I love seeing them at work in sensible sections - how can we encourage them back out again ?

I rode a pre 65 trial recently (which shall remain nameless) and out of the 140 approx pre 65 riders, only 8 were in the British Special catagory.

Unfortunatly you can have as many classes as you want, but if a 250 cub isn't entered as a special, what hope is there ?

but if a 250 cub isn't entered as a special, what hope is there ?

If turning a blind eye was an Olympic Sport Trials people would come home with Gold everytime.

Surely it's down to the Club to police the classes on the day.

Im no expert with Pre65 but i know what class a mono thats been converted into a Twinshock should go "Special" the rider can like it or lump it.

Its quite simple really.

Hey OTF why are you losing a venue ?? Due to a/c monos?? Seriously..

Because the land owner doesnt like modern bikes and he classes air cooled monos as a modern bike. His views on coverted monos is the same. Put simply he doesnt want them on his land. It's his land and his choice but it is one of the more favoured venues that the club uses and will be sorely missed.

we are going to lose one of our best venues as a club because of the air cooled monoshock class at our club. Fact !!!!!

The land owner also wont allow clubs who allow freak bikes like converted monos to compete either.

Clearly this person is a control freak with egomanic tendancies - he hasn't got enough land that I'd want to ride on it - let him have it to himself.

Whilst finances may dictate what bike you ride again this is not new to trials, years ago some bikes were always much more expensive than others.

Sadly however way you spin the argument it comes down to gaining an advantage, and should this be allowed ???.

Twinshock trials are what they say they are nothing more nothing less....

You can still buy twinshock bikes relatively cheaply, yes agreed the more " tricked and exotic " ones come at a price, but thats the same as everything , I.d like a Ferrari with a bike rack but that aint going to happen...

You can still do well riding a cheap bike, and spending a fortune or even converting a mono into a twinshock will not propell you up the results if your level of riding cannot take advantage of the better bike.

Again as I see it, if nothing officially is done regarding the rules and regs then I feel clubs will have to police it themselves or it may gather momentum.

Whilst finances may dictate what bike you ride again this is not new to trials, years ago some bikes were always much more expensive than others.

Sadly however way you spin the argument it comes down to gaining an advantage, and should this be allowed ???.

Twinshock trials are what they say they are nothing more nothing less....

You can still buy twinshock bikes relatively cheaply, yes agreed the more " tricked and exotic " ones come at a price, but thats the same as everything , I.d like a Ferrari with a bike rack but that aint going to happen...

You can still do well riding a cheap bike, and spending a fortune or even converting a mono into a twinshock will not propell you up the results if your level of riding cannot take advantage of the better bike.

Again as I see it, if nothing officially is done regarding the rules and regs then I feel clubs will have to police it themselves or it may gather momentum.

Well said - you dont need an expensive bike for twinshock,I bought a TY250 off E-bay for

It's like everything, there are bikes out there costing 500 tops look like a bag of **** but the rider can ride them well. The idea of throwing a tump of money at a bike is no use if you can't ride it well imho, you're wasting money ??

I recently observed at an ACU round and there were a few a/c monos 2 Gassers, 2 Fantics and a Pinky doing well. And of course the older t/s and pre 65s were out riding the same route as the monos. Some areas seem to dismiss the a/c monos unless they ride in the mono class against the 4rt etc. In some cases people don't want them, look at OTFs clubs predicament, they may lose a venue over it.

As they say you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Because the land owner doesnt like modern bikes and he classes air cooled monos as a modern bike. His views on coverted monos is the same. Put simply he doesnt want them on his land. It's his land and his choice but it is one of the more favoured venues that the club uses and will be sorely missed.

thats lame ...

There are probably only a few lucky people who actually own an RTL 250 with disc brakes in this country ,

and those who do are probably not short of a few quid as these bikes have never been cheap!

Yes i have spent a fair bit on my twinshock , but only to get it in a good rideable state with every working right on it.

I wouldn't even dream of buying an air cooled mono and sticking a pair of shocks on, i might as well do it to a Beta Evo etc

and ride the twinshock class!

In my eyes its a "cheat bike" and not fair at all.

If you buy a cheap twinshock and ride it without spending much on it then so be it , and if you buy a cheap/dear twinshock

and spend quite a few quid on it -whats wrong with that if you can afford it -

but if you can't then don't do it and stop moaning about it!!!

It's simple isn't it-

Twinshock class = original twinshock

Air cooled Mono class = air cooled mono

Thats why clubs such as Bath classic club have 2 routes - so the better riders on better bikes ride the harder route

and if they get beaten by a cheap no frills twinshock then good luck to guy who wins!

Not that hard to sort out really is it !! :lol:

And its a good feeling beating the mono's on a twinshock too,I rode the Bath Peace trial today,I must have won my class as I rode the only twinshock ! (Score cant be too clever tho,it were a bit 'ard....)