Trevor Hunt Trophy Trial

pitley

Regs are now availible for the Wye Valley AC organised Trevor Hunt Trophy Trial which will be round 7 of the ACU Normandale Products Traditional Trials Championship which will take place on september 20th 2009.

The trial we be one lap of 30 miles, 40 sections, taking in up to 16 groups.

Old traders groups will be in use such as Darkie, Slough, Hermits, Fedw, Hill Lane, plus more land the club has secured.

Two routes will be on offer, a championship route and an easier alternative route.

The Trevor Hunt trophy will be awarded to the best rider in Twinshock class b championship route.

Start will be at the Crown inn, Longtown ,Herefordshire, HR2 OLT, 01873 860217.

Camp site near the start 01873 860221.

Entry limit is set at 100, so if you fancy a cracking days sport riding a traditional national one lap no stop trial, regs are now availible on www.acuwesterncentre.org.uk or from entry secretary Dan Sanders 01981 259890 or 01981 250458.

Observers are always hard to come by, so if you fancy helping call Dan on the above or Andy on 07976529955.

ENJOY :huh:

Edited by pitley

Hi Pitley, will the sections be same standard as last year now you are a championship round, and does the route return to Longtown throughout the day for fuel etc ? - have spoken to a number of people who rode last year and highly recommend it.

cheers

Hi Pitley, will the sections be same standard as last year now you are a championship round, and does the route return to Longtown throughout the day for fuel etc ? - have spoken to a number of people who rode last year and highly recommend it.

cheers

Hi 5, sections will be aimed at the majority so similar to last year, there will be about six to eight a bit tougher to sort the top runners,sections will be laid out with classic drum braked bikes in mind, as per acu conditions.

The trial route wont go back to longtown till the final groups, last year all bikes made it to group 7 where all the fuel had been taken(approx 10 miles).

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to Pitley and all the info I can give you at this time is that there are 88 entries, all the top ch/ ship contenders are riding, there are sections on the brick lane. There are 4 new groups this year. He has been very busy organising things and unfortunately there is no list of riders to publish.

Personally I will be observing again. Can't remember which numbers, see you there. :D:rotfl:

come on lads lets have some info on the event ,last year there was a great build up wetting our appetite, for what we are about to face .

this year all i have is a start time, is it to be roughly the same circuit as last year. including that brickroad with the hole on the right.

Hi folks the lap will be about the same length, sections on hill lane as we had so many riders last year enjoy riding that green lane!!

16 groups in all,4 new groups, hopefully the last 2 subs will be a good talking point!!

Basically you will be riding what was the Wye Valley Traders but on a less severe scale, and no Tremorithic to worry about.......

Look forward to seeing you all enjoying a good days sport.

Only wish i was riding!!

ENJOY :rotfl::D

Regards Andy Pitt

Edited by pitley

I spoke to Pitley and all the info I can give you at this time is that there are 88 entries, all the top ch/ ship contenders are riding, there are sections on the brick lane. There are 4 new groups this year. He has been very busy organising things and unfortunately there is no list of riders to publish.

Personally I will be observing again. Can't remember which numbers, see you there. :D:rotfl:

You be on 9 +10, 35+36 Bo :D

Andy, great trial today, rest assured all your hard work over the last few weeks and probably more, was well worth it. Really enjoyed it.

Some really good sections, right level of severity, nothing daft and even the more difficult ones could be cleaned with a good ride and a bit of skill (as David Pye proved by going clean apparently - exceptional ride by a very good rider) It would have taken some effort to go around in single figures I reckon, never mind clean (twinshock I mean, not modern bike) Even the weather stayed nice and the ride around was very enjoyable too. Only hiccup was that some groups had minimal markers to direct from one section to another or the way out of the group which may have caused a few people problems with time, but that is the only constructive criticism, everything else was spot on.

It would be a great pity if this wasn't a championship round again next year but therein lies a problem. Some riders rode last year when it ran as a 'feeler' to see if it could run as a championship this year. As it was non championship it had 2 routes on all (I think) sections. Riders who entered last year on the B route entered again this year but not being used to the Normandale series, didn't realise that only a small percentage of sections can have a B route, on the remainder they have to ride the championship route. Whereas the championship route was just about spot on, it was too hard for some as they didn't know what to expect. This isn't a failing of the trial, it's a failing of the standing regs for this series.

This point probably needs another thread but the Normandale series is crying out for two routes, with the exception of a couple of events, one route is not sustainable. All that is going to happen is that the twinshock and Pre65 bikes are going to disappear from this series apart from a few diehards. It's becoming a modern bike championship for over 40/50/60.

Run 2 routes, hard route for championship for all classes (I'm pretty sure that the class A championship contenders don't want to ride eased sections) The hard route can give the championship runners something to get stuck into. The severity of today's trial was right so I'm not talking about making the trials harder. However, running an eased route, on all sections if deemed necessary by the COC, for Pre65, t/s, aircooled mono and modern will open the trials up to other riders, particularly on classic bikes, who simply find the championship sections too hard.

The riders most likely not to enter this event again next year under current regulations would be on twinshocks and Pre65 bikes. With an eased route they would ride again, no doubt. With numbers of classic entrants decreased, I can well understand the organisers of the event thinking bugger the championship next year, we'll just run as a non-championship Pre65 and twinshock trial.

This would be a real shame and a loss to the championship. John Collins, if you're reading this, can we get this series back to dual routes next year and hopefully increase the numbers of classic bikes?

Couldn't agree more, fantastic event, only road event I've done this year and glad it was this one. (enjoyed the free breakie also)

Thoroughly deserves its place in this championship.

Would agree with Woody with respect to the 'b' route, was thinking it would be like last years, and for personal preference would of liked it if there were few more diversions from the main route, I just hope that the great events that make up this championship remain accessible to lesser clubman.

Run 2 routes, hard route for championship for all classes (I'm pretty sure that the class A championship contenders don't want to ride eased sections) The hard route can give the championship runners something to get stuck into. The severity of today's trial was right so I'm not talking about making the trials harder. However, running an eased route, on all sections if deemed necessary by the COC, for Pre65, t/s, aircooled mono and modern will open the trials up to other riders, particularly on classic bikes, who simply find the championship sections too hard.

Great day out, well done Wye Valley AC.

Have to agree about the championship classes, these must all run on the hard route.

I'd just like to agree with Woody's comments. This was a great trial but it was too hard for a lesser rider like me even on a modern bike. A few more easy route deviations for a non championship class would keep us plodders happy and that will keep the organizers happy. After all what is the point of the Wye Valley club members putting all the effort into organizing a trial with fewer riders than there are observers? That could easily be the scenario they are faced with next year.

Well done to the Wye Valley club for getting 40 sections manned and all the route marking done by the way. I know from experience how difficult it is to get even 10 observers out to a trial these days!

Thanks guys for a wonderful trial. Sections spot on. I changed class to ride the (slightly) harder route & throughly enjoyed it. I only found one marker missing on route, your backmarker wasn't sure so I went the wrong way.

Maybe us modern trials riders need to read a route sheet now & again.....

I & a few others seemed to need more time though - an 20 mins would have been ideal!

Have to argee with Jordi & Woody - keep the champ classes all on the one route.

Results are on the Western Centre Web page.

Not having ridden for 6 months and knowing that the alternative route was 'disappearing' I thought it might have been an error to ride. However, despite loosing more marks than the rest of the twinshock entry put together and then being out-of-time, i am glad i did ride. There were loads of places that the sub-average rider like me should have gone clean and whilst i can place the blame on a stuck throttle in Shawl's Lane, the rest of the failures were down to me,

An alternative route (like last year) would allow people like me to feel comfortable entering on any old twinshock or pre-65 in the shed and to have a good day out. As most threads on TC have shown over the years, its impossible to please everyone, but as a WVAC member I'll be suggesting that we run the trial in the Normandale championship series next year only if there is two routes (as Woody suggests), though there will be a range of options.

Also, as one of the people who put out the route marking, apologies for some of the placements, but its not always easier to find handy poles and trees.....