Evo Virgin

the addict

4th sounds good to me Dave, Yennards I think would be best mate if possible,hope you get it next week. Gizza, no not thought about re-sale for a 200 but not really that bothered if its the bike I like, think Steve does plenty of 250 decals for it when I come to sell lol.

Had my first go on two today, a 250 and a 290, the 250 was more lively than I expected and and felt very very light, I struggled for the first few minutes to even get any feel that there was a back wheel somewhere behind me. Bars on it were way to forward but it did feel very nice as well as the suspension. The bigger bike was well lively, lots of grunt low down but abit mental off pilot, on both bikes I struggled to get to the back brake easy as the frame seemed to be in the way but expect an hour or so of riding would sort that out. I've pretty much not ridden a 2 stroke at all for 2 years and I think it will take a week or two to get used to the Evo engine and lightness of the bike. What I really noticed more than anything was the way the bike would jump up on stuff even though I wasnt really trying, 2 years on the fat lass may have forced me to try harder at everything I do so things may just feel alot easier once I swap.One of the first things I noticed when I had my first ride on 4rt ever was how t forces you to move your body alot more, I liked that so hope all the effort has paid off.

I,m going to spend Saturday trying to find my spanners and socket set as I've not seen them much since having the 4rt and give them a good dusting off, from what Billy and Outlaw Dave have said I think the 200 route looks even more likely now,hope Doogle gets his next week so I can have a proper go.

Let you all know how I get on with the 200 and how it gets up some of the Yennards big climbs and rocks

Edited by The Addict

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody has mentioned mechanical reliability...are we all well past all those main bearing faliures, corroded water pump housings, crappy light switch/kill buttons, stator plate faliures? I've been running 2 08's ..in eigteen months normal use I've had all these problems on both bikes. I read about built in obsolesence in a seperate thread I would normally expect to have new bikes every 2 years but having rebuild repaired all the above I'm reluctant to spend good money if these issues arn't sorted.... only saving grace so far as I'm concerned was sensible attitude of John Lampkinand his team

hmmmm? forgot about all that chewy, heard of the bust frame and swingarms but nothing yet about the other famous Beta problems, hopefully they have been ironed out on the Evo

Having ridden a number of the 200 Beaters over the years, I always liked the 200 motor, just not on the Rev3! Being the TRUE 200, it has some guts, and for many it is a really good motor! For Billycraig, it is a 125 on steroids! Has most everything they lack! For Outlaw Dave they are capable and docile and really good fun to ride!

For YOU, I think it would be fun for a while and you would get bored with it, unless you want to totally stretch yourself and the bike and start riding it like a 125! Problem is it does not want to make the top end power as much as a 125, seems tuned for torque.

If the 250 seems too quick for you after the mont, you will quickly adjust to that as well, or de-tune a bit(heavy flywheel? :D ). Otherwise I think you(as a bit of a nutter) will be disappointed with it in the long run. And I say all this with full knowledge that I myself would not mind owning the 200, but I am not in the market so will stick with what I have.

M2C :D

Having ridden a number of the 200 Beaters over the years, I always liked the 200 motor, just not on the Rev3! Being the TRUE 200, it has some guts, and for many it is a really good motor! For Billycraig, it is a 125 on steroids! Has most everything they lack! For Outlaw Dave they are capable and docile and really good fun to ride!

For YOU, I think it would be fun for a while and you would get bored with it, unless you want to totally stretch yourself and the bike and start riding it like a 125! Problem is it does not want to make the top end power as much as a 125, seems tuned for torque.

If the 250 seems too quick for you after the mont, you will quickly adjust to that as well, or de-tune a bit(heavy flywheel? :D ). Otherwise I think you(as a bit of a nutter) will be disappointed with it in the long run. And I say all this with full knowledge that I myself would not mind owning the 200, but I am not in the market so will stick with what I have.

M2C :D

Switching from 4rt to evo takes a while but I think it won't be long before the 2t evo or whatever you feel better on. Pop over to me if you want a longer go on a 290?

Maybe one thing to consider and I know you havn't bought it or even made up your mind but..........................

Just wondered what happens when you decide to sell it as it has a very small market place? Youths being on 125's and anyone else on 250's or bigger. It might be the ideal bike for the majority, but you won't convince them!!!!!

This is a good point and something to consider, as I was a bit worried about this when I got my 07 200 new. What I have tended to find in general though is that although demand for the 200 is relatively low, the amount of 2nd hand 200's out there on the market is even lower. I had no problems selling mine privately and all the dealers I spoke to initially when trying to do a deal on the Evo were happy to take it in part ex.

GAY !!! as ralph is also going the evo route i think theres going to be lots of talk about how much time you are spending together in the shed polishing your tools !! as for the 200 or 250 i reckon you will find the 200 lacking for what you like to ride and it will be easy to soften a 250 than to try and get more power from the 200. selfishly i thought great they are both getting evos i can have all your 4rt spares but then i remembered they are so reliable and class bits of kit that you wouldnt have any spares ha. Any way good luck with what ever you decide and enjoy dusting down and polishing your tool. x

Is it bi now, gay later :D

Clarkey thats very good for an accountant lol, will let you have a little go on her when she comes mate

BIg Climbs and rocks! On my brand new bike. I was thinking more a few laps round the car park

Haha got to give it good go Dave, best to get the scratching out the way on the first day mate :( else you spend 3 months riding nothing

selfishly i thought great they are both getting evos i can have all your 4rt spares but then i remembered they are so reliable and class bits of kit that you wouldnt have any spares ha

Dad I,ve got a spare air filter and and a left hand mudguard bolt your welcome to have mate :D I think Ralph (The Pest) is hoping it will self ride so he can stop in bed whilst the Trial is on? I,m not convinced though

Pop over to me if you want a longer go on a 290?

Thanks Andrew, I might just take you up on that one, you got anywhere in mind to try it out? :D

If the 250 seems too quick for you after the mont, you will quickly adjust to that as well, or de-tune a bit(heavy flywheel?

No didnt feel to quick at all Mark, not as powerfull as the Mont I was just surprised how much it had compared to what I thought it might, been about 10 years since I owned a 250 2 stroke. You might be right about the 200 but I,ve got to give it a good go before I decide, Throw it at a few big steps and that eh Dave :(

Edited by The Addict

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ben, I know I'll like the 290 and have a kind offer from a TC member for a good go on one, need to try the 200 first else I doubt I'll have a go once the 290's been ridden. Be good to try a few sections Sunday after riding Gerty at the trial and see how much difference the 200 makes :thumbup: what i want from my next bike is plenty of grip, something I can keep up with at all times and letting the clutch go on full tilt without worrying the bike might be halfway down me back a second later

Theres a rumour going round Ralph is getting a 290 this week and has already ordered a quick action throttle/lightened flywheel and 450 big bore kit :o and some nice gold bling bits :)

Edited by The Addict