Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ham.....you've lost me here....could you please explain what this tool is and how it hold the the main pinion and turns the nut at the same time?

I know what you're saying but I've used a small peace of wood as a jam a few times now. The teeth tend to bite into the wood and that spreads the load down into the teeth. And I've not seen a single mark on the the teeth while using this method.

Best of balance.

Neo

Hi Neo, I watched your film last night,must have been great working with Monica Belucchi :D in that PVC dress :rotfl: , anyhow....

I'm using my very own version of logic :lol: here so bear with me..The socket I am talking about is just a conventional 1/2 '' drive socket but instead of a hexagonal design to drive(chew) the corners of a nut/bolt-head this 6 wall-drive design acts on the flats only( It may have been a one-off? as it was sourced from my friend in the tool trade).

The one I had slid over the front sprocket shaft and held the gearbox static so I could do what I wanted on the clutch side of the engine.

Alternatively some people put their bike in gear with the chain still connected to keep the gearbox static but I could never get that to work for me,bike kept creeping along. This is where the magic touch (which I don't have) with the impact gun would come in handy.

I am not knocking your methods in any way...wood's good :guinness: ... but I can't help thinking that someone less skilled than yourself could've jammed shercoman2K8's pinion /clutch gear then levered from the tang (which is now broken)...it would seem so tempting.

Wayne

Hi Neo, I watched your film last night,must have been great working with Monica Belucchi :D in that PVC dress :rotfl: , anyhow....

I'm using my very own version of logic :lol: here so bear with me..The socket I am talking about is just a conventional 1/2 '' drive socket but instead of a hexagonal design to drive(chew) the corners of a nut/bolt-head this 6 wall-drive design acts on the flats only( It may have been a one-off? as it was sourced from my friend in the tool trade).

I am not knocking your methods in any way...wood's good :guinness: ... but I can't help thinking that someone less skilled than yourself could've jammed shercoman2K8's pinion /clutch gear then levered from the tang (which is now broken)...it would seem so tempting.

Wayne

I have these in sizes ranging from 10mm to 35mm, dont think its a one off.

If your implying that, that was how the peice was broken, think again... I hadn't even thought of removing that side until a day or two ago, strong beleiver in using all the right tools, hence why I was waiting for a clutch holder to hold the gearbox still...

If your implying that, that was how the peice was broken, think again...

Easy tiger,I've heard of it before, perhaps I should have put it like this:

I once looked at that arrangement and I thought; 'That looks like a great place to jemmy from'...Doh!...then I thought again...

The 6wd socket thing?..I can't remember if it was a standard size (imperial/metric/mis-sized?) or not?

Easy tiger,I've heard of it before, perhaps I should have put it like this:

I once looked at that arrangement and I thought; 'That looks like a great place to jemmy from'...Doh!...then I thought again...

The 6wd socket thing?..I can't remember if it was a standard size (imperial/metric/mis-sized?) or not?

Just covering my back :guinness:

Anyways, all mine are metric... Not sure if yours will of been but chances are it was... When you say sprocket and shaft, you do mean the output/drive shaft yes?

Ahhh....English humor :guinness: ....one of the reasons I emigrated to Australia :lol:

So from the method you are describing it's better to put all that stress through all those gears in the the gear box to undo the clutch nut. But I still don't see how this would hold the Primary Pinon as the clutch would slip (assuming the plates are in). Honestly Ham try the small chunk of wood next time (it gets no where near the tang). You need something a lot fatter than a lolly pop stick but apart from that there's little to go wrong.....And even if you did use something too thin it would just pass between the two pinons without harming anything.

I believe that just because something is "the right tool" does not mean it's the best tool. It just means its the tool that most people are using.

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

You friggin lot of whichdoctors need to throw some bones in whth the pieces of wood!

One can argue this crap all day, but you can do it by hand, then get into wet/ dry thread theory and all that.

Basically , if you have good standard reference, you can easily put it back, or just slightly beyond, with the impact tools and nothing else easily and quickly if you can use good judgment! Duh! Develop a feel for most of it

If one has no referance point, then one must start from scratch or just use a bit of common sense in that it usually takes 1/4 to 1/2 turn to bring things up to torque, add for gaskets, washers and such, but when the thing wants to stop turning, that extra little bit of cinch should do it to normal limit! Get a grip!

Doing a timing reset, I pounded my flywheel nut back on yesterday after multi removals from the original mark, using the brutal 1/2 in air gun, and it came in at just about 30 degrees past the original mark. As example. Took me about 10 min to reset it all and go. No holders or other crap!

The others are no different, just use reasonable caution and they will zip on and off, Clutch hub being the most sensitive it seems.

Do as you like, as I shall not claim any responsability for your screw-ups!

:guinness:

Hmmmm...."Witch Doctor Tech" ...... I like that name Cope :lol: ......it has more of a ring to it than "nutter" :rotfl:

Besides do you have any solid evidence that a Witch Doctor didn't ever cure anyone? :D

Best of "wolla wolla tomba tamba yeeka!! ". :guinness:

Neo

Ouch!!! :guinness:

OK totally understood :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

PS I think I miss read your punch line above.....But either way I'll send your regards to Monica :rotfl:

I must,must just clarify which comment of mine you're questioning???

1. The gear thing?...I definitely did not mean this Mangle......mangle.jpg

2. The Matrix thing?...I most definitely did mean.....MoBel.jpg

We clear on that?

Hey Ham,

I think you'll find that they are actually the the same person.....but the photos were taken at different times of the day!! :guinness:

Now.....where's my white stick gone to!!!

Best of balance.

Neo