Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

Would be good if you could summarize....

1. The symptoms of your fault

2. The cause(s) of the problem

3. What did you learn or uncover along the way.

Best of balance.

Neo

Yes, of course... completely forgot.

1. Symptoms - The bike was constantly going from rich to lean, bogging out whilst riding however much you leaned it off, bogged on the throttle opening despite occasionaly having it so lean it would knock. Setting it correctly was almost impossible. Also, once the throttle was blipped it was taking a long while to return to a normal idle speed, normally about 2 seconds, it was taking upwards of 8.

Gearbox oil leaking from the crank case breather. When tested, by putting the overflow hose into a bucket of water, I found that bubbles were produced, meaning it was under pressure.

2. Cause - Turned out to be the crank seals that needed replacing. The seals that were in the bike were the black Nitrile ones, with the help from this forum we established that the Nitrile seals cant handle alcohol laced fuel. Replaced with the brown, Viton seals.

3. The black nitrile seals go hard with our fuels due to the alcohol content. All Sherco's seem to be using different seals. The crank case on the 250 and 125 is very different. The jitsie filters decompose and block carbs. As per your problem I beleive. Oh, and the best way to get those gears off, a home made puller. Will explain this later!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and the best way to get those gears off, a home made puller. Will explain this later!

Yes please do.....as I'd like to compare that against my WD method of using a steel Jubilee Clip and a long screw driver :) ...I'm laughing but I am serious too.....it worked a treat and left no marks.

Best of balance.

Neo

Well, it was an old pedal cage from a push trials bike. Bent over so the ends can grip under the edge of the gear and at the right distance apart for the gear. I put a nut either side of a hole in the cage and threaded a bolt through it and let it push against the shaft... Wound the bolt round with a socket and it was off in seconds.

Quite effective. Will get pictures later!

Holly Moses....that's awesome....I love it :D

Best of balance.

Neo

Yea, quite resourceful! If it works, use it!

He does seem to have his stuff together at times!

Notice the well groomed fingernails and cuticles! It is obvious he has found out about girls!

:)

Yea, quite resourceful! If it works, use it!

He does seem to have his stuff together at times!

Notice the well groomed fingernails and cuticles! It is obvious he has found out about girls!

:)

Hasn't worked out how to use a venetian blind however, unless it's a signal to the "girls"

So... Seems like this thing doesn't like the oil I use! Was out training with a few locals down in Kinlochleven on Saturday and took a nasty bail on a splatter, bike fell onto its side and has put a nice hole right through the clutch cover. New one on its way!

Whilst im here however, I have another question to ask... How do I set the float level on the Keihin? I appear to constantly be p***ing fuel out of the overflow! Put a pipe from the overflow to alongside the bowl, and it's about 5mm above where i'd expect it to cut off.

Cheers guys!

First off, which tube is it p***ing from? If it is the one that comes off the lower part of the bowl you simply need to block it off. It is useless at this angle of installation.

Other than that, you have to hold the carb body at about a 45 deg.angle to determine exactly when the floats contact the needle without compressing the spring, as this is your actual point of shutoff, and the floats should be near in level with the carb body to achieve the 19.5 mm spec to the top of the floats from the body.

:thumbup:

First off, which tube is it p***ing from? If it is the one that comes off the lower part of the bowl you simply need to block it off. It is useless at this angle of installation.

:thumbup:

Ahh right... That solves a fair few of my problems then! Thought it was perhaps the float level set wrong, not allowing the fuel to be shut off... but if its normal then no bother!

Cheers!