Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

....my error and apologies.

Hi Cope....confirmed. None of the seals that I've pulled out were brittle or cracked and it was difficult to spot any wear at all.

Best of balance.

Neo

Well that is the type of thing that I suspect with the (alcohol induced softening or swelling) theory. As basically the seal simply relaxes.

The subtile changes in pressure thay I induced with the "blow" test seem to confirm this.

Of course, all the while you have bearings rattling about in there that start out with .003-.004 clearances from new! Add a bit of wear to those numbers and then you have a situation to where the seals must be able to retain enough reaction through tension to accomodate a constantly changing minor movement. Thus, if the seal is weak and "lazy" it cannot respond in time.

As in Clav's posted engineering article, there are limitations to all seals, and even minor variations in composition could potentially effect their longevity in a particular application. I am just glad they are easy to change!

What really p****s me off is this entire situation with the fuels!

If one does a bit of research on this topic, it is all another lot of political hogwash that is costing all of us more money for negative results! :thumbup:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one does a bit of research on this topic, it is all another lot of political hogwash that is costing all of us more money for negative results! :thumbup:

Hi Cope,

Would you kindly expand on this statement?....I think I know what your saying but I just want to confirm that.

Best of balance.

Neo

Had the bike running... had a few dribbles, lost about 5ml so far, fan cycled on once. No time to test properly though as I haven't refitted the wheels or anything, changing the bearings whilst it's apart.

The loss of oil is considerably less than before, it was p***ing out. Think it's just everything settling.

Will find out for sure tommorow!

Edit: Copey, seals were dropped off with the posty today, wont get sorted or sent till monday though, as our local office is just a shed, and doesnt sort on weekends. Will be with you soon, no doubt.

Edited by shercoman2k8

but is there anywhere that one can purchase 100% unleaded gasoline?????????

I don't think there is.

Oklahoma! :thumbup: But that should not be a problem for you, as I am sure you installed the expensive seals when you did your motor, right!

Hello, zipster,are you there----- you did, did you not? :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

Had the bike running... had a few dribbles, lost about 5ml so far, fan cycled on once. No time to test properly though as I haven't refitted the wheels or anything, changing the bearings whilst it's apart.

The loss of oil is considerably less than before, it was p***ing out. Think it's just everything settling.

Will find out for sure tommorow!

Edit: Copey, seals were dropped off with the posty today, wont get sorted or sent till monday though, as our local office is just a shed, and doesnt sort on weekends. Will be with you soon, no doubt.

No prob! :thumbup:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ Nov 7 2009, 03:30 PM) *

but is there anywhere that one can purchase 100% unleaded gasoline?????????

I don't think there is.

Oklahoma! rolleyes.gif But that should not be a problem for you, as I am sure you installed the expensive seals when you did your motor, right!

Oh yea sure the word expensive is always used in conjunction with my name.

Actually I called up RYP and installed what they sent me.

So far so good (but I have not went swimming with it lately either)

Rode for an hour today, no leak! Yay.. Carb was easier to set too, no rich/lean!

Unrelated now, but were the 06 and the 08 tanks completely different, the taps in a different posistion, and a bigger cut away near the muff... Could do with one like this on my newer bike, as the tank hits the carb top with the keihin, something the 06 tanks doesnt.

So, my question to you's, is there anyway to reshape these tanks slightly, only needs to be a 20 or 30mm difference!

Heat gun maybe, or is it a case of major fiddling with the carb and manifolds for a better fit?

Rode for an hour today, no leak! Yay.. Carb was easier to set too, no rich/lean!

Unrelated now, but were the 06 and the 08 tanks completely different, the taps in a different posistion, and a bigger cut away near the muff... Could do with one like this on my newer bike, as the tank hits the carb top with the keihin, something the 06 tanks doesnt.

So, my question to you's, is there anyway to reshape these tanks slightly, only needs to be a 20 or 30mm difference!

Heat gun maybe, or is it a case of major fiddling with the carb and manifolds for a better fit?

Tthe tanks are different, making the fit on my '07 a real cram! And the '08 may be the same. Once the carb and airbox were fitted, I actually had to ues a tire lever against toe top of the carb against the muff to get it to swist enough in the mounts to clear the tank. The swist is putting the bowl hard up against the rear brake resivour and it is really nedein to be modified.

Addind insult to injury, seems my tank has grown about 8mm in length over the years.

I do not think you can reset the nylon tank with heat, as you may well ruin it trying, as I believe it to be a "thermoset" plastic with memory!

Others may correct me here! :ph34r:

Nylon like the tank is possibly made from is a thermoplastic, ie is able to be remelted etc. The other main plastic group are only 1 shot deals, best known example is bakelite

Most plastic tanks are the same, old trick for expanding enduro bike tanks is to fill with boiling water & add air pressure

If you do decide to try reshaping the tank for clearance I'd use the hot water & try to use something to keep the shape as it cools

Most plastics take roughly 24hrs to stop moving after moulding-mainly shrinking so leaving held to the new shape as long as possible is best idea

It's a shame we are in different countries because I have an 06 Tank sitting in an 07 frame and I we could have swapped tanks.

But I wouldn't be attempting to remolding that tank if I were you.

Best of balance.

Neo

A lot of this back to my original beef, as the things don't normally fit worth ****! I have no idea what they have done on the Caby bikes?

I am still not sure the nylon can be easily reformed. The airbox will reform like butter with a blow gun, and can make a really nice fit against the rear frame and the side along the muff.

:ph34r: