Switch To Sherco From Beta

paul w

Hi all, i am considering swaping from a 2008 beta rev 3 to a 290 sherco 2009 model (new). the last 290 i rode was a 2003 model that to be fair was in pretty poor condition. at the time i didnt think it was comparable. has anyone else made this switch? any know problems with this model? am i better off with a 250 or 290 sherco? thanks in advance , Paul. B)

No regular problems I've heard of with later Sherco's. In fact I would dare to say they are pretty reliable!

From 2008 onwards the 250's are sold in UK in 'UK tune' as requested by MRS.

Most riders choose the 290 but I suspect few have actually ridden the later 250's.

Which you choose depends on your skills, also fitness as the 290 can be tiring, your own weight and the type of sections you ride, 250's are rarer then 290's.

I did ride an Evo 250 at a Steve Saunder's test day and I thought it was quite a decent bike. After a Sherco I found the steering lock extreme.

Like the Raga Replica Gassers there is usually a 'Replica' Sherco 290 each year (Cabestaney Replica or Racing R), these are usually a bit quicker still and more expensive.

Hi, After 4 years of Rev3 250's I recently bought a discounted new Sherco 290. I'm no expert but here are my findings so far. It;s true the Sherco doesn't have as much steering lock but I have a couple of practice sections with tight turns that I could only just manage on the Beta and I'm still managing them with the Sherco so it might not be as much of an issue as expected. The 290 does take a bit more holding onto but in the 3 trials I've done on it if I've found that I'm less tired on it than I would've been on the Beta. I might try a slow action throttle but the fast one isn't bad ,although it does get to a point where it suddenly delivers big power.

To me it also seems much easier to move around the front and back wheel in sections. The Sherco also uses much less fuel (I wonder why) :thumbup: and sometimes I no longer bother topping up between laps now. I guess I lost faith in Beta's after my 07 needed mains/seals through no fault of my own at 16 months old and that along with a new Evo costing me almost

I have recently changed my bike, moving from a 07 270 Beta to a new 290 Sherco. I enjoyed my beta but I fancied a change and fell to the temptation of price.

Before riding the Sherco I removed the excess wiring and fitted a decent kill switch, its easy pull out the loom to expose the connected wires, cut it free, join the two yellow wires together, the black goes to one side of the kill switch. The union between the plastic tank and the rear mud guard is awful, I improved this slightly by unbolting the coil and bending the coil mount down to lower it as the tank pressed on coil, it