Rear Tubeless Leaking

kurt

When I replaced my rear sprocket I needed to release 2 or 3 spokes (push in the nipple) to be able to put a ring spanner over the very tight nuts.

After this operation I noticed I have a slow leaking rear tyre, flat afer a week.

I had the tyre of the rim to check the rubber rim tape.

In the Sherco tyre manual I found some instruction on how to the put the rim band on. It need to go under the lips right and left. But I found that on the GG 2007 Raga that the rim band is sort of glued on. Or maybe it is vulcanised rubber or so? I don't recall seeing any lips that hold the rim band. I'm not able to remove unless "braking the glue".

Is that correct? Does GG rims (2007) not use lips to hold the rim band?

How do I cure the leaking then? Buy a new rim band from GG?

When I replaced my rear sprocket I needed to release 2 or 3 spokes (push in the nipple) to be able to put a ring spanner over the very tight nuts.

After this operation I noticed I have a slow leaking rear tyre, flat afer a week.

I had the tyre of the rim to check the rubber rim tape.

In the Sherco tyre manual I found some instruction on how to the put the rim band on. It need to go under the lips right and left. But I found that on the GG 2007 Raga that the rim band is sort of glued on. Or maybe it is vulcanised rubber or so? I don't recall seeing any lips that hold the rim band. I'm not able to remove unless "braking the glue".

Is that correct? Does GG rims (2007) not use lips to hold the rim band?

How do I cure the leaking then? Buy a new rim band from GG?

I'm not aware of lips for the band. You might try putting about 30 psi in the tire and that may help re-set the adhesive. When I'm not riding my bike I put 30 psi in the tires for storage. After a wet Trial, it squeezes the water from the bead/rim area and helps keep the rim band sealed tight. I've had no leakage problems in my 02' Pro in 8 years.

Jon

I've had the same problem, as many other people i know have.

Whip the tyre and rim tape off and put a splodge of silicone on the inside of each spoke. Put a new rim tape on, replace the tyre and pump her up. Has worked a treat on mine.

Stan's no tube is great stuff but expensive!!!

My O7 GG tire was leaking also and after closely inspecting the rim band, which pulled off easily, I noticed a small tear caused by my tire iron. I put a bicycle tube patch over it and put silicone on the rim before putting the band back on and no more leak.

Thanks for all tips & answers guys;

I'm still not sure if the rimband is glued on the rim or just a tight fit?

Like I said, I don't recall seeing any lips or groovers were the rim band sits at. It more looks like the rimband was laying 'on top' of the rim. Also it looks like it was not easy removable without braking the glue...

Is that correct for this type rim?

The rim band fits into a groove n the inside rim edge.

To cure leakage almost certainly someone has used silicon sealer or similar under the band.

Best to remove band, clean rim & re-fit with silicon or bead sealer under the band.

You may need a new rim band - the newer types have the valve bonded in & they're the better bet.