Flywheel Removal

yeoblade

I need to remove the flywheel as there is a problem with the stator or woodruff key( bike wont rev)

Having bought the puller tool it won't come off.

Do the 2 philips headed screws need to come out first before the flywheel will come off? I have tried to remove these with no success (impact driver etc) If they need to be removed before the flywheel will come off then I will probably need to drill then out !!

Any help most appriciated.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the center nut is off the puller should pop it off. If it's been stuck on there a long time there may be some cold welding (can't remember the proper name) that sticks it on tight. Not trying to be a smartass but you may have to be less of a girly man with the wrench on the puller.

Ok thanks for the help guys,

Off to the NEC bike show tomorrow so will give it another go on tuesday,

I was giving the puller a fair bit of torque using two 15" spanners and thought any more and something would bust! Thats why I was concerned about removing the two philips screws first or not,

Must try harder :)

That got it off, a bit more muscle power need, Woodruff key ok so took stator off and sent to Westcountry rewinds, was informed the trigger was faulty, repaired and back with me in 2 days, very quick turn round.

Problem is IT STILL WONT REV :) , same problem.

Revs to about 2000RPM then stops firing above that, but it seems to run absolutly fine at tick over and up to 2K rpm,

Anyone have any other idears have taken carb off and cleaned it and new plug .

Engine totally stops firing above about 2K RPM and starts firing again when the revs drop back again. At low revs it runs fine , no misfires, starts fine first time, though will very occasionally kick back. It seems as if the sparks is stopping above a certain rpm though not sure how to test/prove that this is the fault.

CDi ?, plug lead........

you could always try a spark gap tester thing that you put inline with the ht lead to the plug and check that you have an output from the coil above 2k if not then try a new coil and cdi .. maybe you could borrow one if you know of another bike in the area maybe something is breaking down and it cant fire a spark past a certain point.. ?

Possibly the Fuel Filter, Tank Breather or the Fuel Tap are partially blocked. Lets enough fuel through to allow the bike to run then when more fuel is required it starves for fuel.

Had a car once that above 80 kph it would miss and fart around. Mechanic said needs Platinum Plugs. I doubted him saw another mechanic who listened to what I said and went straight for the fuel filter and poured out a heap of rust or dirt. New filter and good as gold. Old mechanic said would still run better with Platinum plugs, I don't use him any more.

Thanks for useful tips guys, will strip down fuel system this afternoon,

I took a video of the problem and put it up on Youtube, sometimes a picture is woth a thousand words in explaining something

Any other thoughts after seeing the vid most welcome (already

i have just watched your video on youtube, not sure what the problem is but for peace of mind and for no cost take the carb off, remove all the jets and give it a good blow out with a high pressure airline. before putting the jets back in blow them all through and comfirm that they are clear visually (hold up to a bright light). check the float heights (see topic on here, well covered). also check the needle, is it seated correctly? is the clip there? then before replacing the carb remove the reed block and make sure they are intact and seated correctly. once you are 100% happy that all this is done refit and try again with a new spark plug, making sure that the plug cap is screwed right onto the HT lead. if this doesnt cure the problem then you will have to look at an electrical component and seeing as you have already tried the winding and trigger it narrows it down a bit. if you lived nearer i would suggest swapping compenents from my bike to see what happened, perhaps someone local may offer to help with this. let me know how you get on

Paul