Gasgas Pro Gearing 250,280 And 300

benz19

Pro Gearing?? 11 or 10 tooth front??  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who uses what and why???

• 11 thooth
    • 10 tooth

07 300, I tried the 11 that came on the bike, was too tall of gearing for me. 2nd gear didn't feel good in sections. With the 10 tooth front on I ride most sections in second and have first for the tight stuff and third for huge hills and extreme mud.

Craig

10-42 and only use first unless large climbs involved. Years ago i often used higher gears but a ex top british rider gave me some tips which i never knew about and one was about using first gear which in general keeps the bike at the speed you actually need. We actually did practise sections for a laugh not covering the clutch at all and the grip level is mad, which is where normal riders lose grip clutching the bike.

Thanks for all your replies guys!!

Keep them coming!!!

Im still with 11/42,will try a 10,but i feel the 250 is a little sharp of the bottom as it is,and my way of thinking is putting a 10 on the front will make it worse?

Im trying to climb the trials ladder as fast a possible,road racing background make me a competitive old sod! so i would rather have a bike set up for intermediate/expert level and learn to ride it,rather than set a the bike up for a novice and learn to ride it twice? (once as novice and then learn a new bike at expert level)

Im toying with the idea of a 300,as i know they have bags of power,but they seem so soft off the bottom,you never need to come off the pilot jet and they will jump up anything!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I've got an '07 300. The one that GasGas riveted a crappy little brass plate to, threw a few other bits such as carb etc. at it and called a Raga. I'm using 11/42 and hardly use first gear unless on dry rocks. I use the clutch a lot and ride slow... a bit too slow (always have done) :thumbup: . Gearing is a matter of preference. I used to run GG 160's and 200's and upped the gearing to 10/41 (I think) from 10/44 or 46 or whatever... and still hardly ever used First gear on those!

I don't find the 300 to be that soft low down, but don't really care. It is a bit awkward at low throttle grip, but fun to ride :biggrinsanta: .

Best thing to do is spend your money on fuel and ride it... forget all the mods just learn to ride it.

I've got one thats painted gold and got charged another grand for that pleasure but it does ride nice! Its a 250 and I run 11/42 and its pretty good, any of the first 4 gears are fine for sections, bottom isn't really my scene cos i'm a second gear rider, always have been and always will. I agree with Roseys post, just fill it up with petrol and ride it. All this tinkering about is psychological! If you want a quicker bottom gear run 11/41 but otherwise 11/42 is fine for anybody.

10/42 I might like 10/43 but I don't like 11/42 its to fast and I kill the motor to much.

[/quote

The 11/42 combination was a little "quick" for me too but I run 11/44 now and it's just right for my

riding style (if you can call falling off a lot, "style"). The trick to not stalling the Pro is to adjust the

idle speed with the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in "normally", usually with one finger

to the knuckles. This compensates for the usual GasGas clutch drag.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Have got a new 300 pro which came with 11/41 for some reason

1st and 2nd feels a little too fast but 3rd is ok

tried a 10t (with the 41 rear ) yesterday and it span up too much,

also 3rd felt like 2nd and 1st was a little too slow

Will try 11/42 and see how that goes.

I like the power as it is and don't think i will bother with the flywheel weight , bike is very smooth

and tractable and certainly not snappy like my mates 250 EVO!

Does anybody know if 41t is std ? as i thought it should be 42t!

Thanks