Gasgas Pro Gearing 250,280 And 300

benz19

Pro Gearing?? 11 or 10 tooth front??  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who uses what and why???

• 11 thooth
    • 10 tooth

There are lots of different views on what gearing people use on the Pro trials bike,im talking common bike,250,280 and 300,not 125 and 200s.

One view is to use a 10 tooth on the front rather than the standard 11 to slow down over all speed in the section...........................BUT as reducing the size of the front sprocket increases acceleration does this mean the bike is more likely to spin up easier???

Just thought i would start a pole to see peoples views and to give others some insight??

Cheers

Benz

I've been using 10 - 41 on my 250 for some time now, found I can use 1st 2nd & 3rd in sections no problem & it'll pull 5th & 6th across country instead of having to scream the nuts off it in fourth, suits me fine.

Edited by PERCE

tried a 10 on my 280 with 42 rear but found I used second most of the time so went back to 11. virtually every section can be done in 1st and it still pulls fifth across the moors

I'm the same as Baldilocks, apart from i have a (2007) 300. I tried the 10 tooth front sprocket from when i got the bike new but was in second most of the time, so i changed it to 11 and i am always in first. It's amazing what difference it makes in the sections. Now when i hook second for a section it feels as though it's got so much more power! I run 42 on the back.

Would recommend 11-42.

I'm the same as Baldilocks, apart from i have a (2007) 300. I tried the 10 tooth front sprocket from when i got the bike new but was in second most of the time, so i changed it to 11 and i am always in first. It's amazing what difference it makes in the sections. Now when i hook second for a section it feels as though it's got so much more power! I run 42 on the back.

Would recommend 11-42.

I agree,i run 11 42 also.

Think if you learn to control bike with the standard gearing it will benefit in the long run.

Also its much better for road trials and long sections.

Benz

One view is to use a 10 tooth on the front rather than the standard 11 to slow down over all speed in the section...........................BUT as reducing the size of the front sprocket increases acceleration does this mean the bike is more likely to spin up easier???

Just thought i would start a pole to see peoples views and to give others some insight??

Cheers

Benz

Since I got my 280 Pro in 02', I've tried: 11/42 (stock on the 02'), 10/42, 11/41, 10/41, 10/44 and settled on 11/44 (the 44T is the 125 rear sprocket).

I've found that gearing is a personal decision and depends on riding style, local terrain and other mods to the bike. Here in the Midwest U.S.A. we have moors, but they

are very, very, very small :). A lot of our riding is tight-twisty rock, moist dirt under tree off-camber hillside, sandy rocky creeks etc. and virtually no road work.

My riding style is old school (actually old geezer, "pick a gear and stay in it") and my bike has several mods to make it a tractor such as Boyesens,

Amal throttle (half way in between fast and slow Domino) modded reedcage/manifold and a special one-off headpipe. The bike pulls from the bottom

on up very smoothly and the 11/44 seems to give me a wider range of gears to pick from. With the 11/42 most of my sections were first only. The 10/42

worked well but the tighter chain wrap on the small radius gear promoted rapid wear and noise. The 44 hangs down slightly lower, but I make my own

sprocket protectors and have never had a problem with damage or derailment and we have a lot of rock here.

Jon

I ride a 280-- I like 10-42

My son's 200---9-44

If I changed anything I would go 10-42

I ride low level and need to stay slow.

My bike rarely gets past third gear.

I was wondering about if I can go 9-42 on my 280, so I am the slow poke

While we are on the subject Gas Gas Pros seem to wear the gearbox sprocket much faster than other bikes such as shercos scorpas betas, all of which I have owned in the last 7 years.

anyone know why ?

just the amount of grunt perhaps ?

I'll say...Keihin carb' ,quick action throttle....Ogh,Ogh suits you Sir.

When someone started the topic (last week) 280BHP GasGas,I thought 'I know what they mean' :)

While we are on the subject Gas Gas Pros seem to wear the gearbox sprocket much faster than other bikes such as shercos scorpas betas, all of which I have owned in the last 7 years.

anyone know why ?

just the amount of grunt perhaps ?

I'll say...Keihin carb' ,quick action throttle....Ogh,Ogh suits you Sir.

When someone started the topic (last week) 280BHP GasGas,I thought 'I know what they mean' :)

aye, he's got B*****ks larger than that shiney head of his to ride a Gasser like that, brave lad.

BTW, it's 'Suit you sir?'

• 2 weeks later...

11 for expert sections (expert riders, therefore), 10 for beginner/intermediate sections (beginner/intermediate riders, therefore.)

White throttle-tube for expert sections, black throttle-tube for beginner/intermediate sections.

Stiff suspension setup for expert/champ sections, softer for beginner/intermediate sections.

GasGas 280cc for expert sections, 300 for champ/pro sections, 200-250 for beginner/intermediate sections, unless you are really light-weight.

Edited by Funtrials

I think its really a matter of preference. You should try a 10t for yourself and compare. Can certainly change depending on what terrain you ride as well.

The four main things to trials success are:

1. Experiment

2. experiment

3. experiment

4. (Can't remember what it is, but I'll let you know when I do remember.)

11 for expert sections (expert riders, therefore), 10 for beginner/intermediate sections (beginner/intermediate riders, therefore.)

White throttle-tube for expert sections, black throttle-tube for beginner/intermediate sections.

Stiff suspension setup for expert/champ sections, softer for beginner/intermediate sections.

GasGas 280cc for expert sections, 300 for champ/pro sections, 200-250 for beginner/intermediate sections, unless you are really light-weight.

So how come my best ride round the SSDT was on a 250 Gasser set up for a beginner then?