New Bike -which One?

hairyharry

Hi I am looking to get a newish bike over the next few weeks , and was thinking of either of these-

2008 REV 3 250/270

or if money will allow a 2009 Evo 250/290 - beta -best build quality

or a Gas Gas pro 2008 250/280/300 or 2009 -best bike to ride?

Having only owned a sherco 290 a few years ago

not sure which way to go - any help would be great

I did have a new 270 gasser - the old engine type in 96/97 and that was a good bike

I am an inter/expert level rider but have not ridden a modern bike for a few years

Thanks

Edited by hairyharry

Hi I am looking to get a newish bike over the next few weeks , and was thinking of either of these-

2008 REV 3 250/270

or if money will allow a 2009 Evo 250/290 - beta -best build quality

or a Gas Gas pro 2008 250/280/300 or 2009 -best bike to ride?

Having only owned a sherco 290 a few years ago

not sure which way to go - any help would be great

I did have a new 270 gasser - the old engine type in 96/97 and that was a good bike

I am an inter/expert level rider but have not ridden a modern bike for a few years

Thanks

I have always stayed away from Betas because they always felt "strange" to me, the gasser was similar in feel to a Sherco so I liked that. The new Evo is very different to the rev 3 so if you can go for that.

The GG quality is much better than it was, and I would imagine most riders have no more problems than the evo which in my case was nothing.

I have a 290 Evo and it is similar in power(perhaps a bit more) to the Sherco 290.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

hey,

i believe they are both good and reliable bikes, build quality of the gasgas is good and proven

the evo is not that old yet but engine and so is not new it's just an evolution so i guess that wil be a bit the same like the rev3

i would try them both and see wat you like moast

regards bob

I have always stayed away from Betas because they always felt "strange" to me, the gasser was similar in feel to a Sherco so I liked that. The new Evo is very different to the rev 3 so if you can go for that.

The GG quality is much better than it was, and I would imagine most riders have no more problems than the evo which in my case was nothing.

I have a 290 Evo and it is similar in power(perhaps a bit more) to the Sherco 290.

C'mon Nige..I've asked you before ; When you get some time over the holidays, will you write up a critique of your new steed in comparison to previous bike???

Back to my original question-

Which is better - Beta or Gas Gas?

I know how to ride a bike ,the question i am asking is build quality and reliability

of both types........answers please.............

OK muppet, I will toss in a 3'rd party objective opinion into the mix if you cannot make up your mind. I will tell you what I think, which may well differ from some.

Gassers in that range seem fine, if you can still accustom yourself to their personal quirks, namely the kick lever and shifter throw and the rattling motors. I cannot. But a nice 250 works well for a clubman that can adjust, it seems.

The Revs work well and are solid, most all issues can be sorted, seems still occasional stator, pump casing problems, but solid and reliable steed, and a 250 is perfectly gentile for a clubman, with the 270 being good but strong! Works well with the wheels on the ground! And in the mud, as weight not an issue!

The Evo's seem hot ****e, I like the bike as it seems much closer to my Sherco in overall feel, with the exception of the steering lock range, which just seemed excessive to me. As I seem to find some virtue in the stops, it seems scarey at first! They may indeed turn tighter than a Scorpa(the fav)! The Evo 290 has too much for me, as it is a brute torque machine, although still smooth through the range and very rideable by a well versed person..

No idea about the new thin tube gassers?

Ta,

You really need to pick your own poison,

I am in the same boat as you. I have sold my bike now must decide, ive owned both beta and gas gas. Your question doesnt have an answer. Gas gas is more reliable but not as well built as beta. Betas are plagued with little problems, carbs leaking, stator this or that much improved in the evo but not gone. The 280 and 300 gas gas too much bike for most so riders spend time making them ridable, gearing base gaskets, flywheel weights ect while the 290 beta smooth as butter, and so on. In the end ride them all and buy the one you connect with and live with the shortcommings because they both have little problems here and there but neither is better than the other.

Good luck

I am in the same boat as you. I have sold my bike now must decide, ive owned both beta and gas gas. Your question doesnt have an answer. Gas gas is more reliable but not as well built as beta. Betas are plagued with little problems, carbs leaking, stator this or that much improved in the evo but not gone. The 280 and 300 gas gas too much bike for most so riders spend time making them ridable, gearing base gaskets, flywheel weights ect while the 290 beta smooth as butter, and so on. In the end ride them all and buy the one you connect with and live with the shortcommings because they both have little problems here and there but neither is better than the other.

Good luck

Thanks for the honest answer!

I will try both bikes but am leaning towards a 289/300 gasser

thanks

Im going to ammend my previous post. I have had a 290 Evo demo for a few days and damn its nice. Carb now 100% and the bike is awesome. Im an intermediate rider and this bike really performs well, very planted and easy to ride. Im going to order a Beta what ive got to figure out if a 250 would be better. The 290 offers a lot of tuning via flywheel weights, throttles and the rest so prob go that way as opposed to being under gunned on a 250 but i need to think about it a while longer at least I figured out that I would like a Beta.