Montesa Cota 349

slim285

Your bike should have a set of chain tubes which are mounted on the rear wheel spindle via a bracket. The chain tensioner is fixed to the crank case near the gear box sprocket. As i recall one of the other changes on the Mk 3 was the design of the swinging arm which if you look in the photos has a kink upwards before the rear wheel spindle, you could try and copy this as it improved handling, or you could shorten the swinging arm but it depends if you want to mess around with it or just ride it.

In short do answer your dos and donts question

do sell it

dont buy another !

only kidding, have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hi found out a few more interesting faults with my monty over the last week but got the shock of my life when i took the flywheel off to find no woodruff key or condensor so no wonder the bugger woudln't start, so does anyone know where i can get new woodruff keys from.

Hi found out a few more interesting faults with my monty over the last week but got the shock of my life when i took the flywheel off to find no woodruff key or condensor so no wonder the bugger woudln't start, so does anyone know where i can get new woodruff keys from.

Condensor may be under the tank. Actually a good place to have it.

Wayne...

Hi the more i strip my Cota the more i find wrong with the bike, i've got more knackered bits than good bits at the moment.When someone gives you advice about not letting your heart make descisions listen to them it will save a small fortune.I now have to toss a coin wether i carry on or call it a day and break the pile of b####x.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon what clearance do you mean?

do you have a drawing to show which spacers are required?

Certainly there should be one about 6-8mm thick which goes between the swinging arm on the right side and the brake drum.

On the other side should only be a spacer tube which fits into an oil seal in the hub.

The problem i have relates to the brake operating arm that the cable fits to on the rear drum/ hub.The arm seems to be touching the rear sprocket,the arm is straight on my 1980 349 montesa but on my friends 1985 montesa 348 it's angled.Have i got the wrong part for this bike . Slim

Hi Simon,

The brake arm on my 1980 349 is angled away from the hub and then back to the verticle (if that makes sense). I've taken a photo but can't work out how to attach it to this message. It was a bit out of focus anyway. If anyone wants to let me know how to post a photo (without creating photobucket etc. accounts) the info would be welcome.

Andrew

Hi Simon,

The brake arm on my 1980 349 is angled away from the hub and then back to the verticle (if that makes sense). I've taken a photo but can't work out how to attach it to this message. It was a bit out of focus anyway. If anyone wants to let me know how to post a photo (without creating photobucket etc. accounts) the info would be welcome.

Andrew

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....showtopic=23551