Sherpa In Action

pat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fantastic job done! The engine set up sounds perfect, Im very impressed of the pipe. I have ridden a -82 std Sherpa in one competition, not perfect condition.. but the power of 340cc felt very tired ..well, must have been suffered from a weight close to 95-100kg

If they do accept these forks, I do..cant see any reeds conversion but I think it should be accepted as well ref to TY175/250 from mid 70

Edited by Pat

That picture was taken at Robregordo this year, that's Chris Denney in the picture and I'm buried down by the Ossa back wheel looking at the swingarm which was from a 242 Montesa. I had a ride on the Ossa and it was a very capable bike, everything worked perfectly and felt very light to ride. Suspension set up was superb.

The Bultaco was a bit overdone to be honest and other riders weren't happy with the Sherco forks and yokes - a step too far. All of the Puma bikes have original forks with reworked internals so they look correct. The front end on that bike looked out of place and is wrong in my opinion but in practise at least, I'm not sure it actually offers any advantage over a Puma fork set up which is excellent. I can't remember if it had a Puma engine or not but it did go well.

Woody

Judging from the video it seems like the sherpa may have had some flywheel reduction as it sounded a little "perky!"

The bike still causes some chat over its controversy it seems.

The "Puma?" Cota 350 (I think) at 2:30 seemed to be going well too.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

I had a try on 3 Puma 340 Sherpas and I'd say they all had lightened flywheels. I'd guess (and that's all it is) that there is only minimal porting work done. I use a 250 ignition flywheel on my 340 and the pick up is similar to the Puma bikes. Main difference with them is they are carburated perfectly (Delortos) and that, along with the reworked exhaust (bigger volume middle box, straight through back box?) allows them to rev a little cleaner and higher than mine. The most impressive thing about all the Puma bikes I tried though was their lightness in feel. Every control is lightness itself in operation requiring minimal effort which means the bike isn't squirming around underneath you when you're using clutch/brakes etc. Brilliant set up and an absolute credit to the man. I wonder if the works bikes of the 70s were as good as these.

The Cota 350 is a Puma bike, yes. It belongs to Mr Puma's friend but I ran out of time to blag a go on that one. The 350 Cota motor is a stonker anyway so I'd loved to have seen what that one went like. Mr Puma's own Cota 247 was also very impressive.

Edited by Woody

I've not been for the event yet! But I did drive through Robregordo just a couple weeks ago on route from Madrid to Snr Cruz's place.

Big John or one of the others are better placed to describe the event. The start seems to be a Motel style place (Full of trucks when I went though) Other side of the road to where the trial seems to take place.

Wayne....

The start is from the service station on the side of the motorway.

Sections 1 to possibly 3 are within walking distance, from memory, to the south of the station, then the course starts out on a loop which passes to the north of the station just off the side of the road for more sections which had quite a few spectators but I'm not sure how long it would take to walk there. It took a few minutes to ride on the bike from there back to the station. From there the loop goes to the other side of the motorway for the remaining sections but they are not within walking distance as far as I remember. You wouldn't be able to walk around the entire course to see them all as it is too far.

Javier will have better information on which sections are easier for spectators to see (Greeves on here)

Nice movies from Spain, thanks to bonaigua

E.g. go to 2:49 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShRMRZlWzE...feature=related

Did you see this one? Look at 1:30 in particular!!

Some good rides in there too. The black Sherpa and it's rider does seem to perform well.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Did you see this one? Look at 1:30 in particular!!

Some good rides in there too. The black Sherpa and it's rider does seem to perform well.

Wayne...

There are 2 black Sherpas, the one in this video is the other one, definitely a Puma bike as it is one of the 3 that I tried

Good video, 1:30 being the absolute highlight

Edited by Woody