Trials Course Markings

robc

I struggle with just red & blue;

Red on right Blue on left.

After some years working on aircraft and being told to remember the saying 'Port is Red and on the Left'

So for me it's right to be wrong and port is not red.

HELP! B)

R's together (yeah yeah): Red = Right.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R's together (yeah yeah): Red = Right.

B route is the same idea.

yeLLow - Left, gReen - Right

It's when you get to C routes and D routes that things become rather more complicated, which is why coloured arrows are a brilliant idea. Simply remember the colour that you are riding and ride between the arrows. If you go the wrong side of an arrow, you can only blame yourself!

It has always been red to the right and blue to the left - for the past thousand years or so. Road route marking has always been the same, blue card with a L on it for left turn, red card with a R on it for right turn and a white card with a SO on it for straight on

Except it's not the same of course, the logic of which I have commented on before. The route marking system existed long before the blue/red section marking system and, unaccountably, in the early seventies the system where, in the sections, blue means go to the right and red means go to the left was formulated.

thanks to everyone for the replies , although I think I am now totally confused, I will have to read them all through a couple of times.

Red is Right, er yeah, think I have it.

?

thanks,

Rob C

Been in Halfords today and a new version of a Garmin Sat Nav has just been introduced.

As well as all the normal uses, apparently there is a trials riders setting, but of course you'll need a motorcycle clamp to fix it to your bike. It recognises the Begins and Ends cards of each section and a voice will say "enter section over rock; in two metres take right over three tree roots; in five metres sharp left downhill over rock ledge; take tight right hand turn up slippery climb to Ends cards - or whatever is required for the section in question.

I haven't tried it yet, but I reckon it could be the bizz. Still got to keep my feet up in the sections though!

Before I lash out for one, has anybody out there got one and tried it yet.

Been in Halfords today and a new version of a Garmin Sat Nav has just been introduced.

As well as all the normal uses, apparently there is a trials riders setting, but of course you'll need a motorcycle clamp to fix it to your bike. It recognises the Begins and Ends cards of each section and a voice will say "enter section over rock; in two metres take right over three tree roots; in five metres sharp left downhill over rock ledge; take tight right hand turn up slippery climb to Ends cards - or whatever is required for the section in question.

I haven't tried it yet, but I reckon it could be the bizz. Still got to keep my feet up in the sections though!

Before I lash out for one, has anybody out there got one and tried it yet.

It would be brilliant if it had Martin Lampkins voice, but I expect it would more likely be Julian Clary!

thanks to everyone for the replies , although I think I am now totally confused, I will have to read them all through a couple of times.

Red is Right, er yeah, think I have it.

?

thanks,

Rob C

Pop up and watch Sidcup's centre trial on 17th and see it in action. as jordi says everything down here in the south east is paired colours (sort of like the big photo in this thread). If you are new to trials look out for local "group" trials (see http://www.nktc.org.uk/ - Sidcup are a member of NKTC) these are once a month and are easier than centre trials (like the upcoming Sidcup centre trial on 17th). Also watch out for Beginner and Wobbler trials that most NKTC clubs run, these often feature an easier route (often yellow) that real newbies can ride (ie on an enduro bike)

Back to the general question of trials marking. It would appear there are 20+ ways in the 20+ centres. I think our way is great, and other think their way is great - so why upset someone to change it (what are the benefits - seams small to me, versus the enormous costs?). I have to admit, instead of square if we had triangles, so we could arrow them (like the photo) then the confusion could be avoided, but it seams most people are happy with the status quo. BTW we use red and blue (ie left and right) for our two LDT trials and the confusion that ensues by deviating from the "norm" is shocking!

I did one on the club level(small group) that was similar yet different. As the Trialsmaster of a given event, one can do whatever he likes to break things up or entertain the riders here on that level.

Anyway, I simply set a three line trial with A,B, and C classes. the cards were simple white cards with arrows such as A->, B->, <-C on a card.

Which way do you think you need to go?

Actually they were A>

B>

<C

No colors, you need to walk the section.

Everytrhing worked fine untill one of my ADHD A-line riders rode into a section and got lost for a five.

The particular card just put <-B and <-C

The fight began when I said If B and C go left, which friggin way do you think your dumb ass is supposed to go?

It is still fun, and I would do it again. Using a combination of splits and gates along with natural boundries, little if any outside boundry tapes are required. :)

You will always get someone. For example, a rider came up to me after one of our club trials. He'd ridden four laps of 12 sections, each with three routes marked with coloured pairs of arrows for each route.

"It was ok but what you need" he said " is another route, the B route is too hard and the C route is too easy!" :)

You will always get someone. For example, a rider came up to me after one of our club trials. He'd ridden four laps of 12 sections, each with three routes marked with coloured pairs of arrows for each route.

"It was ok but what you need" he said " is another route, the B route is too hard and the C route is too easy!" :)

Out of interest Pete, how many marks did said rider loose on the route? and what route did he ride in the end? I think many of us have lost the plot when it comes to how many marks we loose on a route. Dropping under 10 at any trial to me means its to easy, rather than spot on, just because you struggle with a few sections and five them doesnt mean its to hard? how will you ever learn/progress. Dropping fives on nearly every section is too hard, but aiming for a single figure score when your a mid fielder on a route your riding the wrong route.

Edited by The Addict