Tyre Change

jokerr

How does that work? I've always used 2 bits of 4 X 2" wood .one under rim on floor and t'other right up against the rim somebody else to stand on tyre opposite you and then jump up & down on the second bit ((lever?) I have considered fixing a bit of steel (like a tyre lever) to end of this bit to get right in under the rim. I have seen guys driving over the damm things in start field of trial in case of ememrgency! My little system works for me but I would be interested as to how the garden shovel works

it's a real pain in the a*** without a bead breaker (i remember doing it with a sledge hammer and still struggling), luckily my old man run a tyre centre and the revelation that a a tyre changing machine is (with the adapters for bike tyres) makes all the effort of doing it manually seam such a waste - often these places will fit you tyre to your wheel for a price of give free fitting if you buy the tyre from them.

Put the wheel in a large vice, place a bit of wood between the rim and the rear jaw of the vice and wind in the vice. Ensure the front jaw goes under the rim and hey presto the bead pops!

Turn wheel around and repeat for the other side.

How does that work? I've always used 2 bits of 4 X 2" wood .one under rim on floor and t'other right up against the rim somebody else to stand on tyre opposite you and then jump up & down on the second bit ((lever?) I have considered fixing a bit of steel (like a tyre lever) to end of this bit to get right in under the rim. I have seen guys driving over the damm things in start field of trial in case of ememrgency! My little system works for me but I would be interested as to how the garden shovel works

Loads of ways work, I just suggested that cos it was the laziest to explain :-)

Just dig the shovel in between rim and tyre and stand on it (like yer wife does when yer watching her dig the garden) :)

I just take it to my friendly tyre fitters and they break the bead...the most difficult thing is inflating the new tyre though i tried everything! then i took it back to my friendly tyre fitter & he used a gadget called a cheeter took about a minute!...you live & learn

I just take it to my friendly tyre fitters and they break the bead...the most difficult thing is inflating the new tyre though i tried everything! then i took it back to my friendly tyre fitter & he used a gadget called a cheeter took about a minute!...you live & learn

you haven't heard of a beader then?