Twinshocks! Stirring The Pot Again!

dgraf

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I would like to convert a TY mono into a twin shock, I'd like the challenge and I quite fancy a twin shock ride but without paying the silly prices that decent twinshock bikes are fetching these days.

How would I get on if I wanted to ride a converted mono in say a twinshock series?....is there a 'modified class'??.......I don't want to get into a 'is it right or wrong' argument...I just like the idea of the challenge and want a good days sport with my mate's.

I've seen some pics of a converted Yam mono on the net but for the life of me I can't find them!

Hants off road or i think they call themselves Classic Trial will do you one see thier website for details.

Dont know where you ride but perhaps some "modern" clubs will let you ride in your area but around here you would have to enter the air cooled monoshock class and ride against air cooled monoshocks which sounds ok to me after all you said "I'd like the challenge" so what would be more challenging than handicaping yourself with two shocks and still beating an air cooled mono :D:o:wall:

Hants off road or i think they call themselves Classic Trial will do you one see thier website for details.

Dont know where you ride but perhaps some "modern" clubs will let you ride in your area but around here you would have to enter the air cooled monoshock class and ride against air cooled monoshocks which sounds ok to me after all you said "I'd like the challenge" so what would be more challenging than handicaping yourself with two shocks and still beating an air cooled mono :D:o:wall:

Local clubs to me only really cater for either T/s pre65 and modern...no aircooled mono.

Thats does not bother me OTF, I only ride clubman route these days...the challenge thing is the building of the bike, I like to tat :D ........I've currently got a TY mono which is a keeper, I just fancy doing something a bit different.

Back to my first question, me and my mate (whos rides a 'proper t/s :D ) would like to do some of the larger twinshock rounds next year, I'm not bothered about results but would I be able to ride on a converted bike in a modified class or for no points etc etc, can it be done with out too much hassle........it's a good social day out for me for the most part

Local clubs to me only really cater for either T/s pre65 and modern...no aircooled mono.

Thats does not bother me OTF, I only ride clubman route these days...the challenge thing is the building of the bike, I like to tat :D ........I've currently got a TY mono which is a keeper, I just fancy doing something a bit different.

Back to my first question, me and my mate (whos rides a 'proper t/s :wall: ) would like to do some of the larger twinshock rounds next year, I'm not bothered about results but would I be able to ride on a converted bike in a modified class or for no points etc etc, can it be done with out too much hassle........it's a good social day out for me for the most part

If it's an ACU event then i doubt it as a converted mono is not elegable for the event therefore would not be covered by insurance therefore i cant see any way you would be allowed to ride on one no matter how you feel or how much you protest about just a social day out. You could always observe? they are always desperate for observers.

Alternatively just build it and use it for practice riding as in non competitive :o

Edited by Old trials fanatic

ummm.........the last thing I want is hassle, I wonder how so many of the pre65 brigade get away with it then?...I digress.

I think I'll just build it and go ahead and ride in in club events, like I said before, I only ride for the pleasure these days :o

cheers guys

ummm.........the last thing I want is hassle, I wonder how so many of the pre65 brigade get away with it then?...I digress.

I think I'll just build it and go ahead and ride in in club events, like I said before, I only ride for the pleasure these days :wall:

cheers guys

Dont start Woody off about the Pre65 brigade :D Stable doors and bolts come to mind :o

the price may seem high, but look at the spec.. the thing looks fantastic and having spent money with this seller before i can vouch that his stuff is top notch. Where can you buy a bike to this spec. sold by a reputable dealer with great after sales?

With stuff like p65 bikes the real deal costs real money, gone are the days of being competitive on 500 quids worth of iron also gone are the 40 year olds with familes and little money the sport is for 50 year olds and retired gentle folk with LARGE disposable incomes, plenty of time on thier hands and expectations that thier 5k bike will deliver and the insight that a 2k bike will not..

Dont start Woody off about the Pre65 brigade :D Stable doors and bolts come to mind :o

lol - it's not the mods to the bikes, I don't care what they do to them. What I think is the farce is the hypocrisy around component eligibility in the Pre65 Scottish. Certain riders are allowed to use blatantly ineligible parts that others can't - eg; Yam mono forks, Fantic yokes. They're used year after year despite all the announcements about how 'the rules will be enforced this year'. I have nothing against the riders using them, just allow everyone the same benfit.

Anyway, back to twinshocks as it is a twinshock thread. I won't be at S. Shrops as it is the first round of the Normandale series this Sunday. You definitely would not be allowed to use a converted mono in that series, or the Sammy Miller. How individual clubs would handle it I've no idea, maybe move the rider into the aircooled mono class (Normandale only) or maybe just say sorry, you're not riding as the bike is inelligible (rules are specific in that must be t/s of original manufacture)

At modern club events no-one polices what people enter on so riders can get away with entering on whatever, you just run the risk of incurring other riders' scorn if there is a t/s class and you beat them on their genuine twinshocks

Anyway, back to twinshocks as it is a twinshock thread. I won't be at S. Shrops as it is the first round of the Normandale series this Sunday. You definitely would not be allowed to use a converted mono in that series, or the Sammy Miller. How individual clubs would handle it I've no idea, maybe move the rider into the aircooled mono class (Normandale only) or maybe just say sorry, you're not riding as the bike is inelligible (rules are specific in that must be t/s of original manufacture)

At modern club events no-one polices what people enter on so riders can get away with entering on whatever, you just run the risk of incurring other riders' scorn if there is a t/s class and you beat them on their genuine twinshocks

I can see it would give me loads of grief where ever I rode it...shame.

I like my TY monos, I kinda grew up with them and have had a ruck of them over the years......the only genuine twin shock bikes i like are a TLR 250 and maybe a T/S 250 yam......the TLR's are fetching stupid money which I can't afford and lots of folks have told me the Yam 250 T/S is crap......i don't really like Fantics/Bulto's etc etc.

I'll keep me eye out for you bo, I might end up marking a board if the lads are stuck for observers, if not it will be the lasr ride out on my modern bike before I sell it for...whos knows what :o

Edited by Marky G

jonV8 won't want to hear that.... cats and pigeons... :D

To be honest Bo, I've never ridden a 250 Yam t/s, but lots of guys have told me there not up to much............. I have had a TY175 which i thought was under powered.........I will say that the 250 Yams are still quite cheap :o

Edited by Marky G

To be honest Bo, I've never ridden a 250 Yam t/s, but lots of guys have told me there not up to much............. I have had a TY175 which i thought was under powered.........I will say that the 250 Yams are still quite cheap :o

For what it's worth I would stick to what you like, a well sorted ty mono can mix it with the rest. There are a couple in our local club that do well, just sorted pinkys nothing flash. Some t/shocks have reached silly money recently even TY's. :D