Tubeless For Sherpa

montaco

Does anyone have any good advice on fitting a tubeless 4.00x18 rim to a Sherpa rear hub, 36 hole?.

eg where to get a suitable rim, could a Montesa type rim be fitted as the Sherco system doesn't seem to hold air for any length of time when used hard, any pitfalls to be aware of?.

Thanks.

PS I've just found an earlier post on this subject with good info from Nigel Dabster. What type of Yamaha hub do you mean Nigel, it must presumably be a 32 hole setup for the Sherco rim?.

Edited by montaco

Does anyone have any good advice on fitting a tubeless 4.00x18 rim to a Sherpa rear hub, 36 hole?.

eg where to get a suitable rim, could a Montesa type rim be fitted as the Sherco system doesn't seem to hold air for any length of time when used hard, any pitfalls to be aware of?.

Thanks.

PS I've just found an earlier post on this subject with good info from Nigel Dabster. What type of Yamaha hub do you mean Nigel, it must presumably be a 32 hole setup for the Sherco rim?.

Why would you want to fit a tubeless rim to (I presume) a Twinshock Bultaco??

Or you've got your post wrong, you do mention a "SHERCO" later on.

Leaky Tubeless rims = pull rim tape out, clean up and use SikaFlex sealer around the spoke holes put the tape back in and leave over night, take out the valve and do the same = no more leaky rim :wall:

Depends on your reason for wanting to use a tubeless tyre, but you can fit a tubeless tyre on the original tubed Sherpa rim without any problem by using a tube. Tyre doesn't need modifying in any way won't slip or fall off the rim. Still use the security bolts though.

I have used an IRC tubeless tyre on my standard Ossa wheel for years and it has never fallen off the rim. The reason I use the tubeless IRC is because I have found it is the tyre that gives the best grip, not specifically because I want a tubless tyre. I also have one fitted to a Yamaha Majesty rear wheel, again, no problems. We have fitted an IRC and a Michelin tubeless to my mate's 72 Sherpa, no problems.

If you want a tubless rim because you feel that it will give better performance without a tube in it you can buy tubeless rims, 36 hole, but when I last looked into it they were about

I love IRC tyres! why don't you just buy an IRC Tubed tyre :wall: I used to fit them to my 125 Scorpa and found they were spot on.

Seemed much better than The Mich tubed type...the IRC is a radial too.

I've just bought a 76 ty175 and the previous owner has fitted a Tubless tyre, and I've noticed it's not seating on the rim properly.

I've already ordered a Tube tyre so I'm not going to mess with it.

I love IRC tyres! why don't you just buy an IRC Tubed tyre

Reason I don't use tubed IRC is because I just can't get on with them. I've tried them on my Ossa and on the tubed type spare wheel I had for my TYZ. Outcome was the same each time. The sidewalls are too soft and the wheel rolls in the tyre on cambers and when accelerating out of a turn up a bank. Increasing the pressure to eradicate this means no grip. I couldn't run it at anything less than 5psi, otherwise it would roll, although even at lower pressures it still wouldn't grip on either bike.

Earlier this year I had a go on someone else's Majesty at the section I was observing on. I rode it over some angled rocks and straight away could feel the rear wheel wanted to slide down the rocks, not because of lack of grip, but because it felt like it was rolling in the tyre. Without looking at the tyre I said to him - this is an IRC tubed tyre isn't it? Yes he said. When he asked me how I knew and I told him he said now I'd mentioned it he had experienced it too, he just hadn't realised it was the tyre. It behaved in exactly the same way as those I have tried in the past. That is why I use the tubeless type IRC. For me they work better than anything else.

Now I'm not saying that the IRC tubed is no good, it just doesn't work for me, but I know other people who are happy with them and don't seem to experience the same problem. Come to think of it, they are a fair bit lighter than me........ (and my Majesty riding mate)

I spray a little WD40 over the beads when fitting a tubeless tyre, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

I use wd40 for the same purpose RS, find it works a treat, the only problem I found was when I mentioned it on here!! be prepaired to get ripped to bits by the boys on here who say you should only be using tyre soap :wacko:

Thanks.

The Fantic rim is the answer it will match your front. You need to try the breakers in TMX and expect to pay