The Last Time Wtc Came To Trials Heaven

slapshot 3

I went up to Ben Nevis to watch the worlds round in 1992. It was the sections from hell as they made the riders look bad. A chap came with us not knowing anything about trials and kept asking where are the good riders, hard one to explain when the best ride we saw was 3`s.

On the up note i was sat in a Pub and a stunning blonde asked if the seat`s next to me were available. Then Jordi Tarres came and sat next to his girl friend the blonde, and smiled and gave a nod.

Cant remember if Tarres actually lost the championship that year to Tommi Ahvala.

I remember that round too but the biggest impression was left by the observer who was eventually forced to deal with an overly abusive minder, not impressed with good Scottish observing and who got violent, by means of applying his fist to said minder's nose. It certainly worked. Don't suppose anyone would get away with that this year.

I trust you have noticed that the Colley picture is taken when the start was where Morrisons is now, or at least very close to there, can't actually remember what was being built, but it certainly wasn't at the West End Car Park.

I trust you have noticed that the Colley picture is taken when the start was where Morrisons is now, or at least very close to there, can't actually remember what was being built, but it certainly wasn't at the West End Car Park.

Absolutely correct Michael!

It was an absolute **** hole! It was a right guddle!

Construction was indeed for the Morrison/An Aird project which of course houses McDonalds and a solicitors office in that general area.

I can't remember exactly why the trial lost the West End Car Park, it may have been an upgrade at that time. That must have been the year Jordi Tarres rode the first watercooled Beta too.

Big John

Is that the year the bike only lasted a day before breaking down?

no that was 1989 Scottish when Tarres arrived with prototype Beta Zero. The production bike was the Beta 'Stripy'

reckon Beta might regret doing such public testing!!

After that I think Tarres won every single WTC round for remainder of the championship in 89