Pre 65 Forks

broony

Hi there

I am new to trials and I'm going to build a bantam to compete with.One of the problems I have encountered is lack of information about the humble bantam.My main problem is what forks to use,I want to run it in Pre 65's in Scotland(not the 2 day) but would like to know if I could use trail bike forks and yokes(XL,TS) or does it have to be std. or period.

cheers Brian

Again, dont think it would be a problem.

But you might fancy a crack at the pre-65 in the future, so dont limit yourself.

Changing forks will be a doddle compared to getting through the ballot. Anyway i thought they were having a downer on Bantams ? Why not just do what everybody else does and have some "fiddle" forks made. Probably cheaper in the long run and at least they work. :gay:

Good luck with your project anyway :thumbup:

As far as the SCRMC club trials go almost anything period or twinshock with drum brake is going to be ok,though what Ross says is common sense.

Don't limit yourself by fitting a set that obviously look too new for the period.You may aspire to ride outside Scotland when questions may be asked.

Though at Nostalgia last year there was a monoshock Yam with twin shocks tacked on riding in the Twinshock class but that's another arguement....

Edited by davieboy

• 3 weeks later...

Going to use the standard forks for the moment.Got some new parts coming to rebuild them(keeping it real).Its quite funny reading about the use of titanium,overbored Cubs,trick suspension if you want all that why dont you ride a modern bike.Was the same with the Classic Road Racing,everyone to their own :rolleyes: .

cheer the noo Brian

Going to use the standard forks for the moment.Got some new parts coming to rebuild them(keeping it real).Its quite funny reading about the use of titanium,overbored Cubs,trick suspension if you want all that why dont you ride a modern bike.Was the same with the Classic Road Racing,everyone to their own :rolleyes: .

cheer the noo Brian

Very commendable,but looking at the first post,it was you who wanted to use Japanese forks and yokes in the first place..

Going to use the standard forks for the moment.Got some new parts coming to rebuild them(keeping it real).Its quite funny reading about the use of titanium,overbored Cubs,trick suspension if you want all that why dont you ride a modern bike.Was the same with the Classic Road Racing,everyone to their own :chairfall: .

cheer the noo Brian

Nothing to do with wanting a modern bike or getting one. The thing is the standard forks belong in the skip. No matter what you do with them, apart from fitting marzocci internals, they are crap and dont perform.

Lets be honest here all we are looking for is a bike that can at least get through a section and a basically "period" bantam will just not do the business even in a club trial. OK if you enjoy paddling through everything and aim for a three on most sections but if you want to actually enjoy your ride then the choices are obvious.

OK you dont need titanium this that and whatever. My James has a CDS steel frame not T45 cos i couldnt afford it and it wouldnt have made any difference to my scores because i'm pretty rubbish but i've done the mods i have just to make it an enjoyable and capable ride.

Masochist i aint.

Have you ever ridden a true period pre 65 bike in a trial lately? theyre horrible and they always were.

Sincerely good luck with your project. i hope you have lots of stamina if you are determined to "keep it real"

Paul, what are you like! I thought that's waht proper P65 was about - keeping it real! If you want fiddle itis and trick that, why not have a GasGas and be done with it? Before 1965 the bikes weren't horrible to ride bucaue no-one had any comparison, the trouble is courses these days are laid out with modern bikes in mind, isn't that eally the problem along with people seeking a modern technology advantage?

Sorry - devil's advocate - age old aguement!

Having never rode a trials bike I wouldn't have a clue.I Road Raced for 11 years.If the bike is crap,thats the way it will be,I won't know any better as I have never rode anything else to compare it.I'm building the bike on a budget(not got pots of gold),I like things to be original(period).I'm wanting to trial for a LAUGH :chairfall: ,something to do in my spare time.I dont take life to serious as its a bit too short and your are a long time dead,so chill oot.Beamish Owners Club fella spot on.Away up the shed for a bit of welding Arc or MIG? that is the question :thumbup: .

cheers the noo Brian

Here Here. i've been riding a cub with just about standard everything with exceptions of c15 forks and a concentric carb for years . and iv'e always done the hard route it's just the competeing i enjoy. if you need heavy weight forks for a bantam try yeomans in bromsgrove or redditch mc/s.