Hi From A New Bultaco Owner

p@ul250

Hi,I recently got a 1969 model 49 which i am slowly doing a running restoration. So far i have replaced the crank seals,points and condenser,changed the carb for a Mikuni VM,replaced the wheel bearings and hub seals and fixed a hole in the tank. I road it for first time at a trial on Sunday and what fun i had on it. Over the last month or so i have been reading all i can on this Bultaco section and have found out many new things.

I will keep you up to date as my work carries on and may well be calling on your vast store of know haw. regards Paul250

post-3039-1265806204.jpg

Edited by paul250
  • Like 2

Great choice of bike and good to see it out in the sections where a Bultaco should be! My earliest trials memories are of Sammy Miller on a model 49 riding trials in Hampshire and Bagshot. Loved them ever since and now also own one (which is in the TC Garage).

Good luck with the rebuild. There are lots of Bultaco owners on here who will help out with any queries.

Tim

Hi Nice bike. But you really need to tie back that front brake cable before you kink it or worse still catch it on a branch, it will have you straight off before you know it.

Good luck with the restoration. and riding

TLTEL

• 1 month later...

Well since my first post I have done a couple more trials and have had one or two new problems crop up.

I have had the fork seals blow on both legs and the seals go on one of the rear shocks! Also my new carb kept flooding,I stripped it down to find the float leaver pin hadn't been fitted properly and was bent. A new one from an old card i had in my workshop soon had it running OK.

So I've invested in new seals and spring for the front end from Bultaco UK and Betor Expert rear shocks of 360mm with 40 lbs springs from Sammy Miller products. Next trial this Sunday can't wait to see how the new suspension works.

Edited by paul250

Anyone else notice that looks like a later tank, with the M49 seat. Interesting. More pictures without the rider in the way perhaps?

I need to invest heavily in the Leakproof seals. The ones on my M49 and M100 are no good (both new) but the M92 is holding up. Might have something to do with how much you ride them.

Like it Paul and good to see it out there and not on a shelf, mine's 10yrs younger and hope to do a few trials on it this year. I've done some practice on it just need a day away from the family, how do you find the meetings your doing? are you running blue route? what club?

Tony

ps After yrs road racing and sprinting I've got the Bultaco bug and would love an older one to tinker with and ride :thumbup:

Edited by SherpaTony

Anyone else notice that looks like a later tank, with the M49 seat. Interesting. More pictures without the rider in the way perhaps?

I need to invest heavily in the Leakproof seals. The ones on my M49 and M100 are no good (both new) but the M92 is holding up. Might have something to do with how much you ride them.

About the seals, something I didn't know which was pointed out to me by the local bearing/seal stockist a while ago, is that there are two types of seals, rotary and hydraulic.

I was buying various seals, giving him the sizes I wanted, and just happened to mention that one of the seals were for the forks. He said we don't do fork seals. I was a bit confused as he had just confirmed that he had the size I needed. He then explained that yes he had that size but they were rotary seals, they wouldn't work in forks, they would leak. Something about the construction of them - fork seals, ie; hydraulic, are different from rotary, as in a crank or gearbox seal.

This may explain why a lot of the seals I have fitted in forks over the years don't seem to last as long as I thought they should, as I've unknowingly been fitting rotary seals. Apologies if you know this already but it's something I was never aware of, I now buy specific fork seals from Pyramid Parts.

As regards the tank, I thought it was the normal tank sprayed in slimline style when I first looked, but it looks to be a slimline with the seat unit cut off. Works though.

• Like 1

Like it Paul and good to see it out there and not on a shelf, mine's 10yrs younger and hope to do a few trials on it this year. I've done some practice on it just need a day away from the family, how do you find the meetings your doing? are you running blue route? what club?

Tony

ps After yrs road racing and sprinting I've got the Bultaco bug and would love an older one to tinker with and ride :thumbup:

I'm quite lucky as here in the Easter center the vast majority of clubs run four routes (Orange,white,red/blue,and yellow).Orange for youth D/beginners,White for youth C and Novices the route I ride.and so on up to Expert.

I must admit that my eleven year old son on a Beta 80 has bettered my score the last two times out.

We as a family are members of the Norfolk and Suffolk Junior Mcc. My wife and I run the trials section of the club.

Paul

Edited by paul250

I have checked out the tank against the photos on cemoto.tripod.com.I think it is a model 49 tank with a later cap fitted,it dose have a breather outlet forwad and to the left of the filler cap and the indents for the nee.Also when grinding back to make the repair you can see in the photo I went through a cote of silver paint. I may be mistaken though.

I will take some photos later today from all angels to see what you think.

P.S. dose any one have a prop/side stand for a M49 going i could buy.

regard

Paul

Edited by paul250