Front Tire Seating Woes

feetdown

Tuesday last week I threw a new front tire on my beta (Michelin Xlight), A job I've done countless times before, this time however I had to fight tooth and nail to pop it on, Just over 100 pounds before she popped on! (It popped and the compressor cut in simultaneously! made a proper mess of my grundies! :chairfall:) I left it with about 50psi in overnight then released the pressure,

Now this is where my real problem begins I've repeated this process 4 times and every time 80-85 pounds to pop it on and the same 7" portion of tire slips in when I release the pressure 12-18hours later :thumbup:

I've rotated the tire and its always the same portion of bead that slips, confirming to me that its not the rim, the only time a different portion tucked in was when I thought I would be clever and clamp the section that kept slipping in with the rim lock, the portion that tucked in that time was at 180deg to the rim lock on the opposite side of the tire!

Currently its been sat at 50psi for coming on to 24 hours

Has any one else struggled with this problem? found a solution

With my rudimentary knowledge of tire production I can't see how there can be a manufacturing defect with the tire, Will happily be proved wrong

Edited by FeetDown

Just pulled the tyre off, no damage, scrubbed the rim again inspected it and nothing, no twist in the tube, put it back on and had to bang 80psi in again to pop it on ( Does this seem like a lot to anyone else?) and as soon as I release the pressure to 15-10psi it tucks back in.

I have changed tyres on every bike imaginable from super-stock 1000s to supermotos and of course trials and mx, and have never had this much hassle.

Blimey! 30 psi is the most I've needed to "pop" any tyre onto the rim, MX tyres, road tyres, tubed or tubeless. Must admit to having no experience of an Xlight, but it does sound as if there is a problem with that particular one. Hope you bought it from someone you can take it back to.

Mark

Problem solved, popped into town for a tub of my usual tyre wax 35psi to pop it on, let the air out and I had to really push it with my thumb to unseat it,

The stuff I had got from a mechanic down the road left a greasy residue on the rim but didn't feel very lubricating

incidentally washing up liquid is not advisable, The active ingredient used to dissolve the food fat on your dishes will eat the hard anodizing and once through that will rot the aluminum

Problem solved, popped into town for a tub of my usual tyre wax 35psi to pop it on, let the air out and I had to really push it with my thumb to unseat it,

The stuff I had got from a mechanic down the road left a greasy residue on the rim but didn't feel very lubricating

incidentally washing up liquid is not advisable, The active ingredient used to dissolve the food fat on your dishes will eat the hard anodizing and once through that will rot the aluminum

glad to hear you cracked it, its the type of problem that drives you nuts. what brand is your usual tyre wax?