Cost Of A Rebuild?

marky g

Scotty

I have a 79 PE which is being subjected to the longest running rebuild in history, but to come to the point I

have a Suzuki handbook which gives some tech details which I have scanned. PM me if you want a copy. Also

have a few road tests.

The bike was a wedding present (basket case) 15 Years ago so can't sell it. Try Crooks Suzuki or the PE owners club for spares. Oh and if you need a new saddle you are in for a hunt !

cheers arun 1664 , the it175 i picked up last weekend its the G model with the TZ power jet carb fitted!!!

anyway i thought i'd give it a quick blast only to find the front wheel will come right up in the first three gears!!! :D ive also got a yam wr200 with a FMF fitted this wont do this??????

the IT makes the wr200 feel like an xr400! it must weigh about 200lbs cant wait to get the PE sorted (needs new top end) hope this performs as well? ,p.s thanks for the advise im already struggling to get plastics and such like! just out of interest trying to do the PE in super condition so will be on the look out for a second tank(pref plastic, and side panels) so can swap over if using it off road, the IT's completly original right down to the small yam speedo and lights!!! but its a bit scruffy so fine for trailriding and offroad fun?

the reason im doing the suzuki right up is because i think they look stunning when done!

regards Nick :lol:

Depends what you start with - a runner, or a box of bits, and what is your end goal.

A runner Bultaco M199A in Oz is about $1500 plus. In lots of cases, you could get away with a tart-up of 2 tyres, chain,sprockets and ordinary shocks for $1,000 Oz. Add another $300 for Falcons. So for a reliable bike your price is $2800 Oz. Labour costs are down to you, thats part of the fun.

Old twinshocks that are runners, regardless of condition and equipment, seem to start at around $1000 in Oz.

However, the fun really starts if you are serious about your kit. I replaced the front rim, re-spoked the back rim, new chain & sprockets, Sherco ignition, blueprinted motor, new seat, new airbox system, Keihn carby, new bars, re-furbished brakes, new cables, German clutch kit, re-chromed fork tubes, new swingarm, re-packed exhaust system and lots ( did I say lots ) of elbow grease & time.

I could tell you what that lot cost, but I would have to kill you because you would tell my wife. I will say the motor rebuild was $1200 Oz, but that included new crank.

Why did I do it -because I can now afford it, and I love it. I wanted a M199A in 1979, but we had just had our second child on one wage, and the answer was NO ! No sense of prioities.

Could I recoup ALL of that. Maybe, but if I was compus mentus at the time of sale, I would probably put the old bits I could back on & sell the bits on Ebay

Will I depart with it-not if I have anything to do with it ! I love it, it`s unique,

I paid 800 dollars US for my project Reflex and ended up investing at leats that much to get it shaped up. I used as many new parts as I could. Did the same thing with my RL 250 a few years back. Lots invested, but I know exactly what I have now. The way I see it is the more I have invested, the less likely I will sell it! I swapped out the original shocks and bars for different sets. The rest is pretty much stock and functional. :lol:

post-2257-1164893226.jpg

• 4 months later...