Too Many Trials In East Midland Centre Today

andat

I dont know how the landowners work oop there but we still have to pay rent for the land wether we run the trial or not. We cant just decide on the day "ooh we havent got enough people err lets save money and cancel and go down Meadowhalls shopping" me i'd go down the pub Meadowhalls is er indoors stomping ground.

So you are telling me the landowner of this "one of the best venues around, but expensive to rent. " will now take pity and not expect payment?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this comes up year on year on year, there was at least6 riders missing from pegasus because of the bremrose. at least 8 missing because of Nene Valley, (different centre i know but only 45mins away) and a few missing at s****horpe. clubs just book the same dates year in year out and its beginning to affect the bread and butter who dont ride nationals or travel much. personally i dont think there should be any club trials when there is a national in the centre on the same day. Clubs from the same centre can run on same day, but 3 trials in lincolnshire is rediculous. Nene valley always clash with peterborough or pegasus and with a quick jiggle between these 3 clubs could mean alot more entries at each trial.

Andat you are so WRONG!!!!! The EMC do not FIX dates, the clubs APPLY for them, the EMC then issue a provisional calendar to ALL clubs and the dates are then finalised at the dates meeting

OK I stand corrected, but what's the point of a "dates meeting" that produces such congested calendar. Surely there must be some responsibility on the EMC to publish a calendar that is NOT so heavily congested?

The point of the dates meeting is so that clubs can send a representative and petition for the dates they want their trials to run on. The provisional calender is published and unless you strongly protest at that point it is then ratified.

I'm no big fan of the ACU or the AMCA but they are all we have at the moment so use them to your advantage as happened with the Sutton Falcons proposal which was defeated due to an almost unanimous lack of support and a lot of Clubs objected to the proposal and quite vociferously made that clear to the ACU rep.

As some have quite well stated before most Clubs stick to the same dates so to aleiviate the "problem", i dont really see that there is one but you obviously do, somebody has to change their dates. Perhaps some could move to another weekend? some could move to a Saturday trial ? some might even opt to hold less trials but try to make the ones they do hold better ones?, some as has happened locally could just change the "trial" to a training day?

I dont know the answer but what i DO know is that riders will go to ride the trial they enjoy riding now that may be down to the venue, severity or lack of, where their mates are riding or just thats it's closer but going from experience the vast majourity, some travel 60 miles to our and Dales Classic events, will ride where they enjoy the ride so give the riders what they want and they will come but diont ever think you have a God given right to get entries just because yours is the only Trial on that day. Fredom of choice the customer will decide.

The Venue is good but it is mainly the same sections trial after trial and on the 50/50 some are too easy, hence thats why a few of us went to Barnsley. We offered to help marking out a trial a number of times but it fell on deaf ears, ok we dont attend night meetings as they are to far to travel after work.

Im not bitching about the effort but some clubs do seem to lay out the same sections time and time again so as riders we simply try a different club if available, hence the Barnsley club had a decent turn out with plenty of new sections and quite challenging.

I too think it a shame you sent your 11 riders home,you had the option of sending them out in one group marking each other maybe even changing the sections to a one router as they went around,depending on abilities of course,you might of even started a new craze off that day,A one route trial which everyone can have fun in,your 11 probaly would of had more of a crack than one of the other trials that had 70 rider's.

I too think it a shame you sent your 11 riders home,you had the option of sending them out in one group marking each other maybe even changing the sections to a one router as they went around,depending on abilities of course,you might of even started a new craze off that day,A one route trial which everyone can have fun in,your 11 probaly would of had more of a crack than one of the other trials that had 70 rider's.

Good point bilco, the riders might have enjoyed that for a change?

Hope we never come to it but thats a damn good idea and worth considering.

Nice one Bilco. :wall:

I dont think its a case of giving the riders what they want and they will turn up. Its a fact that if there is achoice then some riders will stay local and ride more for convenience than anything else. I think trials especially in the East Midalnd centre is similar to how a lot of the pubs are going. There will be clubs folding left, right and centre and its not through lack of effort its due to there being too many trials held within a small area on the same day. I have never been to the dates meeting but my Dad has and I have an understanding what happens. The problem is the shape of the centre. I rode the Bemrose yesterday and we rode in at least 3 different counties and we only did a 40mile loop. An example this weekend is that there is another trial at Eadons fields,albeit a different club but I have never known the venue get so much use as it has in the last year. It is the first centre championship round and is literally 5 minutes away from my house but I am not riding, I am going to Man 17 which is 40mins away. This to me is a bad clash and I am sure the centre round will suffer as it is also the Cleveland national and there is an A+B champ round. I know the Fisher trial has been re-scheduled due to the bad weather of late but I think there should be a little negotiation between clubs especially when they are running in the 25mile radius like they do. It is impossible to please everybody everytime but surely something can be resolved. I dont really think that Old trials fanatic has much strength in his argument as the trials he rides are for old bikes and old bikes ONLY.

it seem to me you have a nice problem, too much choice? i bet the guys in the states cant belive this thread!

the point i am struggling with is this, why not have some on a saturday afternoon? or saturday evening trials? The best series i ride is a saturday night event, one of the best attended too. some weekends we could (if i fancied a divorce) ride 3 trials. instead of all starting at 11am on a sunday couldnt you vary the start times/days?

I dont think its a case of giving the riders what they want and they will turn up. Its a fact that if there is achoice then some riders will stay local and ride more for convenience than anything else. I think trials especially in the East Midalnd centre is similar to how a lot of the pubs are going. There will be clubs folding left, right and centre and its not through lack of effort its due to there being too many trials held within a small area on the same day. I have never been to the dates meeting but my Dad has and I have an understanding what happens. The problem is the shape of the centre. I rode the Bemrose yesterday and we rode in at least 3 different counties and we only did a 40mile loop. An example this weekend is that there is another trial at Eadons fields,albeit a different club but I have never known the venue get so much use as it has in the last year. It is the first centre championship round and is literally 5 minutes away from my house but I am not riding, I am going to Man 17 which is 40mins away. This to me is a bad clash and I am sure the centre round will suffer as it is also the Cleveland national and there is an A+B champ round. I know the Fisher trial has been re-scheduled due to the bad weather of late but I think there should be a little negotiation between clubs especially when they are running in the 25mile radius like they do. It is impossible to please everybody everytime but surely something can be resolved. I dont really think that Old trials fanatic has much strength in his argument as the trials he rides are for old bikes and old bikes ONLY.

Just remind me which two clubs you are involved with again? Wouldnt be Sutton Falcons and Sheffield & Hallamshire, see previous rant about only 11 riders turning up, would it ?

Edited by Old trials fanatic

It has no relevance what clubs I have an involvement in. I have been an active member in Sheffield AND Hallamshire motor club for the last 15 years and I lay trials out regularly and help with the organisation. I have never seen you at any of our trials, Sutton Falcons or any other club trials other than your own club. I support the centre with all the clubs and always give feedback to the organisers on the events so I think my point is a lot more valid than yours as I ride at other events other than my home club, you appear not to. Of late our club trial entries have been good and this last event is just a bad clash but the point is that something needs to be done to work as a benefit to everybody not with clubs just sticking dates in and not thinking of the consequences of other trials running nearby.

It has no relevance what clubs I have an involvement in. I have been an active member in Sheffield AND Hallamshire motor club for the last 15 years and I lay trials out regularly and help with the organisation. I have never seen you at any of our trials, Sutton Falcons or any other club trials other than your own club. I support the centre with all the clubs and always give feedback to the organisers on the events so I think my point is a lot more valid than yours as I ride at other events other than my home club, you appear not to. Of late our club trial entries have been good and this last event is just a bad clash but the point is that something needs to be done to work as a benefit to everybody not with clubs just sticking dates in and not thinking of the consequences of other trials running nearby.

Acksherly i normally ride 3 times a month at three different clubs one of which is"my own" but correct i dont ride at S&H or Sutton Falcons because i dont have a suitable bike or enjoy those sort of events. My main point was it is a coincidence that you state your clubs as S&H and Sutton Falcons. Sutton Falcons tried to bring a motion in to stop clubs running as many rounds as they wanted solely for the benifit of Sutton Falcons. That motion was quite rightly defeated. S&H just happened to be the club that a c of c had a rant on this very forum about poor support from riders and decided to cancel his event. Is it just coincidental that you are members of those two same clubs? perhaps it is. Does it matter? not really. But to lay the blame on other clubs in the centre who are organising well supported trials is a bit rich.

That to me suggests that the organisers of those clubs seem to think they and only they have a god given right and riders must come to their events.

You say there are too many trials in the East Midlands Centre on the same day. OK why doesnt your club choose to run on a different date or run less trials a year. Same also applies to Sutton Falcons BTW.

It has also been said that there are too many clubs in the centre and some will fold due to lack of support. Well if nobody wants to ride at those clubs is that not the way it should be?

I just get a bit sick and tired of hearing the same old moans and whining from shopkeepers, organisers whatever. We live in a society founded on freedom of choice but as soon as people use that right there are always those who want a totalatarian regieme that forces people to shop where they say do what they want when and where they say those people should.

That aint the way it is.

I again repeat IT WASNT ME WHO STARTED THIS THREAD AND IT WASNT ME WHO MADE THAT STUPID PROPOSAL.