Boots...again

brewster

The replys about "which boot is the best" all have positive answeres, so I want to change the question to:

What problems or dislikes have you had with your boots and what improvements would you like??? Things like not being comfortable when new or walking around, buckles breaking, adjusters not holding, soles wearing out quickly, not flexible enough............you get the idea.

Thanks guys and gals

Brewster

I've had a pair of Novogars for over 2 years and they're still in good condition. I usually jet wash them and throw them in the garage till next time - never oiled them once.

They were looking a bit tired this morning so I gave them a good dousing of gear oil (last weeks oil change). Two inch paintbrush and lashed it on.

They looked and felt great, smelt a bit funny but boots are boots right?

:P

I have the red Hebo Technical. There good boots and if I were to give problems it would really be picky.

The only problems with them is that at the top of the boots, there is a 'frilly' black material. This gets worn, and the black stuff peels off.

Another is, inside the boot, above the sole, there is a grey coloured material, this comes off all the time (frag it out with my foot) and gets annoying.

And thats all I can think of...

My favorite Trials boots have been the Sidi's. I've had two pair. The early Sidi soles seemed to wear quickly, but the new pair I bought two years ago seem to have a much improved sole.

The toughest sole I've ever seen have been on the Gaernes. I actually resoled the first pair of Sidis with Gaerne soles (they were easy to get). The cobbler said the Gaerne soles were the toughest material he'd ever dealt with. Those Sidis (with the Gaerne soles) are now almost twelve years old and are still going strong. The leather has been almost indestructable. The early Sidi's had 4 buckles the new ones have 3, and like I said the new Sidi's seem to have soles made out of material similar to the Gaernes.

Last summer I bought a new pair of Gaernes. They have been fine, but aren't as comfortable as the Sidi's were, in fact I bought the Gaernes for my son, but he took over the two year old Sidis and made me wear the new Gaernes, but that's ok, he rides better than I do, and like all Dad's I put his comfort ahead of mine (he got the new bike too!).

Both seem to provide great protection. The Gaernes seem to have good leather and the soles are about indestructable. I really can't say anything bad about them.

The Sidi's come with a metal toe protector like you see on the motocross boots because they also sell them as ATV boots. It's easily removable with a phillips screwdriver. DO remove it as the metal is like ice skates when walking rock sections, and it'll beat the hell out of your bike as you mount and dismount.

I've never seen a Trials boot yet that was waterproof, well actually they all are. They let all the water in, but absolutely none out! :P

If you are on a budget, a buddy recently got into Trials and just couldn't lay out $250 for Trials boots and bought a pair of Oneal ATV boots for $114. They have a vibram type of sole (good traction) and look like Trials boots with what appears to be decent leather. They seem to be fine for the average rider on a budget and are light years ahead of hiking boots or tennis shoes. He claims they are comfortable, but he's never worn any of the name brand boots, but they are $125 cheaper.

Edited by Ridgrunr

I too have the Hebo Technical boots. Coming from an MX background, these things feel like bedroom slippers. Can't imagine anything being more comfortable.

If I was to complain about anything, it would be that the leather they use is TOO supple (although nice and thick). They are broke in, right out of the box. After 2 years of heavy use, mine are holding up very well, however whatever support they formerly offered is largely gone. Surprisingly my soles have held up very well! (maybe I move around on my pegs more than R2w ;) ) It's just the ankles are like....well, like those bedroom slippers :P

As has been said, waterproofness is in doubt on any leather boot. However if mine are freshly treated, they are actually very good. However, as the treatment wears, the leaks start....makes it easy to know when to re-treat ;)

I've had a pair of Novogars for over 2 years and they're still in good condition. I usually jet wash them and throw them in the garage till next time - never oiled them once.

They were looking a bit tired this morning so I gave them a good dousing of gear oil (last weeks oil change). Two inch paintbrush and lashed it on.

They looked and felt great, smelt a bit funny but boots are boots right?

:P

Are you novogars naturally oiled like the Gernaes (however ya spell it)?

Can the oiling be done on any boots?

Have red hebo technics.

:P AH!!! WOW!!...someone mentioned Sidis...although the Sidis we buy here in Hong Kong dont have a metal toe bit.

All I can say is Sidi TRIALS boots are EXCELLENT..comfortable from the off..VERY strong especially the stitched sole...absolutely NO complaints....I can NEVER understand why no-one in Europe appears to be wearing them. They're very reasonable here too.

I once owned ALpinestars here....NEVER again...Sole came off in no time (shop told me it was due to the humidity here....yeah right!!)....and they were bloody uncomfortable...Oh!,,and the buckle broke pretty quick too. I can only think all those World riders that wear them..must be getting paid well to wear them!...or they have plenty of spares!!

I have a pair of gaernes. There is a seam on the outside that hits the knuckle of the baby toe. Man is it painful. I have taken them to a cobbler and had them stretched, which helped a bit, but not a long term solution. Other than the fact that they hurt like hell, not a bad boot. Anyone else with similar problems or solutions?