Naughty Fuji?

tordijarres

Just got back from the Arena, here are some thoughts:

a) The PA system seemed particularly poor this year- with about 10% of what was said perceivable

;) Perhaps in part because of a) but also because of poor commentary "timing" the atmosphere wasn't as good as usual (even before Dougie bombed out)

c) "Taddy" is a trick ferret

d) Cabestany had arguably as much if not more talent at his disposal as Adam Raga, but chose more risky lines and was inconsistent, thus finished second

e) Bring back the biketrial riders at half time (got to be better than "a word from our sponsor")

f) Everyone moaned about Fuji not making a valid attempt at 2 of the sections, myself included, BUT if Dougie had run last and done the same, I guess nobody would moan....

g) Clearly the answer is "no they aren't" (as competitive as 2 strokes-at least in arena trials)

h) It was still a great night's entertainment with well-judged sections as usual from Mart

Agree/disagreee?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) The PA system seemed particularly poor this year- with about 10% of what was said perceivable

I'm a soundman part-time.....and this p****s me off when I read this........grrrr, the folks at the Arena just don't care......they got folks in the seats bought and paid for...what follows doesn't matter.....grrrrr....!!

Was talking to Crosser about this tonight afterwards and he said his job was so much harder when Dougie didn't qualify. Everybody is supporting him and if he ain't there then who are they to support? (for those outwith the UK, Crosser is the UK Scorpa importer and compere for Sheffield Indoor)

Cabestany was awesome tonight. Given that's a new bike he's not had that much time with and a new team, he was totally amazing. I stopped taking photos of him at one point just so I could watch him ride.

As far as Fuji skipping sections goes, that was a definite game plan and I agree with comments that were made tonight at Sheffield about people paying good money to see the World's best ride sections, not for them to skip them. There should be a penalty for a non-attempt.

PS. Sound was fine from where I was standing ;)

PS. Sound was fine from where I was standing ;)

Re the sound quality, you may have a point here; this year we were a bit late booking so were in block 213 row P which is pretty far back, other years we have been about half way up the rows.

Although Cabestany rode brilliantly at times, he had too much Dabbillitis (sic) to take the win, and as a Beta rider, I couldn't help thinking how well he did considering he was on a Sherco (arf)

Has anyone noticed that we Brits seem to have adopted Sherco as a surrogate British manufacturer? Certainly Cabestany got a great reception even before he started riding.Must be all the work Rathmell has done over the years and Grimbo contesting all the British events

FWIW, my tuppen'worth:

If you concentrated really hard you could make out the odd word in the commentary from where we were sat. The rest was lost in a fuzzy mush. Martin and Wayne were obviously trying hard but I got to the point where I'd given up trying to understand what they were saying and just wished they'd shut up so I could at least hear the bikes and minders. Shame really 'cos last year the sound was brilliant and Martin's expert commentary was very useful and enjoyable. No doubt Dougie's failure to qualify for the final was the main reason for the very flat atmosphere later on, but the crap sound system certainly didn't help (and as an ex-professional musician and part-time sound engineer myself I know that with the right equipment configuration and operators it is possible to make a PA system comprehensible to practically everyone in an arena the size of Sheffield).

IMHO the Montesa riders were definitely having to work a lot harder than the others on sections where large amounts of snappy power was required. Dougie in particular wasn't "on it" at all for some reason. Hopefully things will improve once the factory parts come along. More than one person mentioned that the Montesa sounds more like a 2-stroke with a broken exhaust than a "proper" thumper and I tend to agree. Maybe it was the ambience of the arena but it didn't sound as nice as it does on the vidoes I've seen (I've yet to hear one running outside "in the flesh"). Functionally that's completely irrelevant of course, but I'm just sayin'...

Given the limited amount of time that he's had to get familiar with the bike, Cabestany looked awesome on the Sherco and I think he'll be Raga's main competition in the indoor series this year. It was weird how once Dougie had gone, everyone (around me at least) seemed to immediately jump on the Cabestany bandwagon. I stayed firmly in the Fujigas camp since my son is a huge fan!

The sections were great. No lap scores of 3,4 or 5 like you see at some of the other rounds here!

I think Cabastany was really on form, he rode smoothly I thought and with great calm even though he must have been veryyyyyyy nervous :ph34r: Raga did a great job and deserved to win cus his performance was very consistent and he never seemed to be nervous either......... When Fuji pulled that little stunt I think it takes the p*** a bit, and I would imagine Dougie would have been slightly p***** off. The way I saw it the Montesa 4 stroke really did seem to lack power of the bottom end (I await to be corrected ;) ) it seemed that it just wasn't quick enough off a standing start etc to climb the bigger sections. I have no idea what was wrong with Dougie but he really seemed as if he had no spirit, he didn't look as if he was trying from where I was sitting, maybe it was the new bike and not enough time to train as much as he would have liked. I loved the races too, they were really edge of seat entertainment, some of the races were sooooo close it was a good job they had a sensor ;) I think Blazusiak the polish lad did really well, he was first out, his first major event and it looked to me as if he was really putting a great deal of effort into trying. Just my opinions........ :hl:

Cheers,Lloyd

Great night :D

I must agree Cabestany was awesome and the smoothest rider out there.

He had at least 2 unlucky 'slip off' fives when riding sections to perfection

and towards the end of the final was a real threat to Raga.

Good luck to the Sherco rider and hope he at least pushes Raga all the way

in the 'Indoors' this year.

I think besides the results Fuji looked more comfortable on the Mont.

possibly because his bike was not 'stock' and I guess being Japanese

he has had more time on the Honda?

My first time at Sheffield, although disappointed with Dougies lack of

success, a excellent night with some fantastically skilled riding by all!

The PA was fine where we were sitting, heard every word in fact.

Just minutes before Fuji took the deliberate 5's I was telling our lass that he was a real crowd pleaser and one of the spectators favourites ! Then it all went quiet, Crosser and Wayne Kershaw tried to stir the crowd up to cheer him on again but it stayed quiet - apart from a few boos! (myself included) :ph34r:

Cabestany did better than I expected on the Sherco, that Taddy mush rode his heart out for the crowd - started very well but knackered himself out too quickly - very impressive though ;)

Raga was his usual 'class act' but I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned his 'do or die' drop off the 8' pallets. I'll try to explain it for those that weren't there...

They were about 8 foot up and had to drop down and land on a short, steep ramp that was about 4 foot high, stop immediately, turn right and carry on, so....

Fuji thinks "I don't like the look of this ramp thing one little bit!" he decides to jump 8 foot and lands on the floor very hard, bouncing out of the section "Ouch"

Cabestany thinks "Sod that heavy landing, I'll do it proper" I can't remember how he did it but he only just stopped at the bottom of the ramp.

Raga thinks "Pair of pussy's, it's *showtime*" He rolls back about 6 foot, rides forward, does a steep rolling nose wheelie right to the edge of the 8 foot drop, then lets go of the front brake, swoops down onto the ramp at just the right angle and carries on!. Wow :D I really, really hope that somebody got a photo sequence or video of it...

The Mont? didn't do as well as the 2 strokers but was still very impressive to watch. I think Freixa rode his better than both Fuji and Dougie :hl:

King Doug was allegedly on a bog standard engine whilst Fuji was on a HRC prepped thunder bus. Are HRC trying to 'offload' Dougie now that Fuji has stepped up his act? I reckon he should tell 'em where to stick their 'Yen' and go back to Beta ;)

King Doug was allegedly on a bog standard engine whilst Fuji was on a HRC prepped thunder bus.

What's the story behind this ?

Did the 'standard' motor thing come out before or after DL missed the Final.

I personally can't believe he was riding with a Std motor. He's got his works suspension and Nissin Master Cylinder, why'd he have a detuned motor for the 2nd biggest event that he rides in England.

Yes Fuji is sponsored directly by HRC and DL by Honda Europe, but if you are Honda you need to spread your bets, Fuji's never really delivered indoor before. As for resources and not being able to build more than two works engines - we are talking about the biggest motorcycle company in the world - so unlikely that they couldn't build at least 10 special engines.

This is either a manufactured 'excuse', as DL thinks Fuji's getting better kit. Or DL just hasn't gelled with the 4 Banger yet.

If you can buy a 260 Kit over the counter in a Japanese Retail Trials outlet, I'm sure that they can do a bit of tuning in the Montesa factory in Spain.

Conspiracy Theory Anyone ?

Well.....in all HONESTY, I did say to my brother alongside me that Fuji's bike sounded different to the other 2 Monts, and he agreed, and this was when they were doing the parading around bit at the start, so no conspiracy theory there. We have to ask ourselves why Doug seemed de-motivated, maybe it was because he is being given "The Spanish Archer", by Honda???