Naughty Fuji?

tordijarres

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the 'standard' motor thing come out before or after DL missed the Final.

I personally can't believe he was riding with a Std motor. He's got his works suspension and Nissin Master Cylinder, why'd he have a detuned motor for the 2nd biggest event that he rides in England.

Conspiracy Theory Anyone ?

I can't remember when the 'standard engine' was mentioned by Crosser and/or Wayne but it was definitely whilst Dougie was still riding the sections.

HRC might be concentrating their efforts on Fuji because he's Japanese and steadily improving. Plus he's younger, smaller and lighter than big Doug who is a big fella compared to both Fuji and Freixa - maybe he needs more power than they do...

Conspiracy Theory? here's mine ;)

Maybe HRC will eventually deliver a sparkly new engine but only after Fuji builds up a comfortable points lead... (Team Tactics?)

Looks like Andy got a pic of the section

Yep, that's the one - Raga had his bike on it's nose right at the top before dropping onto the ramp and slamming the anchors on ! 'grande cahones' I think they say...

I agree with Kinell, Raga's drop-off from the pallets was the most skilled riding of the night. Considering the pressure he was under, it was awesome.

Runner-up for class ride has to be Alberts first lap ride on the rollercoaster section (5?), when he used the front end rebound to pitch him back about a foot, hovered with the front wheel in the air for a second or 2 then rode up the step before the exit ramp. Everyone else hopped back onto the platform and had to do a 45degree pivot to get up the step.

PA was great where I was, Crossers commentary was excellent.

I agree Cabestany is at least a match for Raga on talent, just not consistent enough.

Doug didn't really look like his heart was in it to be honest, he just didn't look comfortable on the bike from the off.

Fujis non-ride of the 2 sections - disappointing, but that's professional sport.

Beta really need to find themselves a top class rider, sharpish.

Edited by dabmeister

Well, I've just got time for a quick post (me tea is nearly ready!!).

The standard bike things was known about before the start. (it was even mentioned in the program). The factory bikes were due for the start of the season - but didn't arrive in time. Apparently, all the 4T boys were in the same position. Dougs bike was almost stock, with a few tune-ups, but it pretty much straight out of the crate - and the spare bike WAS out of the box - just like the one you and me could go and buy.

Its disappointing for Doug in front of his home crowd - but he'll be phylosophical about it. One thing you can be sure of is that he gave it 110% - and although it sounds like an excuse, the machinery really did let him down.

But he'll be back - of that you can be sure....wounded animal and all that.

Don't write him off JUST yet.

Right - grubs up.

KB.

<BELCH>

Luuverly!!

;)

On to the event as a whole. The atmosphere was a little flat I must admit, and I think that an even of that scale really misses the big screen. No matter where you sit, theres always some action you can't see that well - and when its happening in that part of the arena, you tend to switch off. Its impossible to get on edge for something you can't see. Bringing back the big screen would make sure that all the audience can see all the action all the time - and I'm sure it would help whip up the frenzy of previous years.

When Doug was riding, we knew he was going to struggle and it made it all the more exciting and impressive to watch, and over the last couple of sections me and Mrs Boots were giving it our all in the vocal dept. But once we knew DL was out of the final, it took the edge off. We still watched and were still very much impressed by the riding (the Raga nosedive off the sleepers was awesome - my bum twitched just watching!), but there was no emotion attached. I wasn't bothered who won, except I wanted Fuji to come 3rd. Not because of the opt out on 4 and 5 (lets face it, its within the rules and its a professional sport. the lads aren't there JUST to entertain, theres a World Championship at stake), but more because of the knock-on for Dougie. If Fuji was on the same bike, but made it stick in the final, then the knives would have been out, saying Doug was past it etc etc (the press is so fickle!), yet anyone who knows anything at all about trials could see that the 4T in its raw form is way off world class - certainly for the indoor stage. Outdoors will be different all together, but the indoor sections need too much instant raw power.

As always, the standard of riding was tremendous, and we enjoyed it thoroughly - it just didn't butter my muffin in quite the same way.

As always, it was a pleasure to bump into the camera toting, Trials-Action-Fleece-wearing Andy - full marks for braving 500 mile per hour tail winds down the M6!!!! Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye.

Summary - the sections were extremely tough and the riders were brilliant. I'll be back next year.

just a comment on dougies attitude, I spoke to him after the trial and commiserated with him missing the final, he was a little abrupt and all he had to say was " I was miles away " I dont think he is too happy with bike at moment rumour has it he wanted to ride two stroke indoors.

Re the Montesa's there is no doubt that Fuji's sounded like it had more bark but then again so did his 2 strokes.

The chief Montesa mechanic, (who was Dougie's mechanic a couple of years ago), told my father that the engines were indeed standard but no doubt the ingnition mapping / fuel injection was tweaked. He said the factory engines would be available half way through the indoors but they were very happy with the outdoor performance as already the riders are managing to do the same sections as they were on the factory 2 strokes.

PS.looking closeley at the bikes they all had factory suspension and other bits

Regarding Doug's attitude...

Think we've all had a bad day at the office, the boss (mr honda/montesa) pushing us into a task we knew we didn't have the right tools to dothe job to the best of our relevant abilities.

On top of that he has 8000 screaming "feet up freaks" who would consecrate the very ground his wheels turn on expecting, hanging on every roll of the Michelins to see him to the top of the podium........

I might be a bit Pi$$ed off too......

Think we might let him have that one, don't you

dy

"On top of that he has 8000 screaming "feet up freaks" who would consecrate the very ground his wheels turn on expecting, hanging on every roll of the Michelins to see him to the top of the podium........"

Spot on there Slapshot!.

Edited by dabmeister