Would You Buy A Bike Thats Done Ssdt

smalley250

I would rather have an ex SSDT bike than an over 40 or schoolboy bike anyday. They get fully prepared before the six day and any worn bits are changed so there is no problem. A lot of over 40 bikes never get revved and need a good clean out and on the opposite hand the schoolboy bikes get some hammer cos they are flat out most of the time! I know where I would be spending my money.

a couple of thoughts.. i heard one top ten rider who was selling his bike post thessdt say'' it been reidden over rocks not into them' and theres a lot of truth in that if you or i rode the ssdt the thing ( like me) would be buggered post trialbut if somebodys good enough to get top 20 then the bike will have been ridden sympathtically and modestly

aside from some new tyres and chain and sprokets i'd have noi fear of splashing 3 k on a 'only used for one trial bike' after all wasnt it the 11th time that the Yam had been entered?

the road work and some moors of the ssdt can be taxing on the two strokes, i have an ex SSDT bike and that hasn't failed me yet. (touchwood)

my mains could maybe be renewed, but i've had it for nearly two years now, and it has been use quite a lot.

i think it depends on who was riding it aswell, if you get one from someone who wasnt such a good rider then it may have been trough the rocks rather than over them, and perhaps thrashed on the road.

It's a bargain if you get a good one at the end of the week, and if it wasnt for exams i may have been in the market at the end. (and watching all week aswell, gutted i missed it)

Whoever got mine has a bargain. Thing was just run in. (Only managed 1 day.)

Being in the Beta camp the bikes would come in and when riders have spent so much money to get there and hire a bike then paying a couple of hundred extra for any parts is small change so things get changed. Riders don't have the time to consider while it last, it's a case of if you have to think about it you replace it. All the bikes that passed me on Monday not one was having it's tits wrung off (and plenty did, must learn to ride faster.)

My mate is after a bike and there is a number for sale saying done SSDT. He thinks they get thrashed to hell and are knackered after the event. I think differently and they should be ok.

Whats the verdict on this ?

you have a mate?

you have a mate

You use to be one. I think errmm then again not so sure.

Im on the yes id buy one as some say they ride over not into rocks. I watch top riders and they have faultless bikes and i dont know how but end up looking spotless end of a trial.

I would rather have an ex SSDT bike than an over 40 or schoolboy bike anyday. They get fully prepared before the six day and any worn bits are changed so there is no problem. A lot of over 40 bikes never get revved and need a good clean out and on the opposite hand the schoolboy bikes get some hammer cos they are flat out most of the time! I know where I would be spending my money.

I think you have to be choosy though - whilst I wouldn't have any hesitation buying your ex SSDT bike, I might have to think twice about buying one someone less capable had ridden - as there might be a few more battle scars!!

Not sure I'd want the one that stopped at the ferry time control on Friday. He'd boiled it up on the road and it had got so hot that the petrol pipe had melted through where it was touching the barrel. That sorted out, he fired it up and water was peeing out of the head. That tightened down, leaking from the radiator hoses. Finally sorted and on his way. He told me next day that the water pump impeller had basically dissolved with the heat and wasn't pumping. Reckoned that it had started when he roasted it after the thermostatic switch had packed in on the Wednesday.

I'd buy a Mont 4t after the Scottish, but anything else??

BTW, if you're offered a bike with a section of purple petrol hose between the tap and filter, steer clear!!

I think it depends on the owner. if they prepare the bike before hand and maintain it properly afterwards I can't see the problem.

I always prepare mine and give it a proper strip and inspect afterwards replacing anything thats worn. which I guess most people will.

What about these people who run the same bike for 5-10 ssdt's? if they can still finish there can't be much wrong with it.

Edited by thespikeyone

I have had a couple of ex-SSDT bikes, both have been good machines.

Infact, i had a (if i rememmber correctly) ex-team Armstrong 320 that had done the 1983/4 (?) event, and apart from minor rub marks and the riders number marked virtually everywhere it was like brand new, shame that i had no idea how to ride the flaming thing !!!

Regards GaffaMont.

Edited by GaffaMont

hi there most off the ex ssdt bikes are only a couple off weeks old so most are still under waranty no probs i would say after the ssdt there fine my one was however i would not be so keen on buying one after the scott a few rode round me and over me and them bikes were seriously thrashed far more so than a week in the highlands thanks gar

• 3 weeks later...