What Sort Of Montesa Is This?

bigmike1961

Just picked up this wreck!

I bid, didn't expect to win but here it is!

Question is what is it?

There's a Yamaha engine stuffed in at the moment. any idea of the size?

Any way here's some photos.

post-8876-1274553206.jpg

Edited by BigMike1961

Heres another photo!

It's got chrome (well they used to be) rims, 17" rear and a 21" front and rather spindly forks 30mm I think.

Oh and the most shot front wheel bearings I've ever seem - 3/4" lateral play at the rim :thumbup:

The motor has got to go - flea bay so an ID of the engine would be very helpful.

post-8876-1274553960.jpg

Edited by BigMike1961

Thanks for the replies, it turns out to be not big enough for my cunning plan involving an Xl185 motor...

I think I'll have to move it on to another owner in the shorter rather than the longer term. Oh well, Ebay here I come.

Hmm that looks interesting, My french isn't too good but it looks like they've got a 125 honda into the Montesa 123 frame.

There is hope yet.

The exhaust is amazing the bolt passes through the exhaust pipe to get the fixing into the barrel.

It's a 97cc lump, I put me specs on and found some rather small castings giving the cc's..

I think I'd have to go to 21" & 18" rims, there's a 20 inch on the front not a 21" as I first thought. Is it a problem changing rim sizes - obviously the spokes would need changing but the current ones are rusty as are the rims.

I would have to lower the engine cradle to get the required height for the engine but then the sprocket might be too low to clear the swinging arm pivot :rolleyes: I'll have to wave the tape measure around very carefully.

No-one has remarked on the rear brake pedal?!!! Take a look in the second pic! :o

What do you think?

Mike

Edited by BigMike1961