Powder Coating Wears Frame Numbers?

shercofray

Hi i'm wanting to get the frame of my sherco powder coated, however i'm unsure as i bought a bike on ebay and went to collect and there were no frame numbers or engine numbers on he said this is because they were powder coated, i obviously turned it down.

So was just wondering would powder coating remove the frame/engine numbers?

Thanks.

Yes, you always have to grind the frame & engine numbers off before you powder coat a bike, it's the law.

Hi, are you sure as is that not the way to identify a bike? As it is one the docuuments when you purchase it and also as the bike is road registered it links to them documents, I thought that is the way to prove that you own the bike as you can show when buying and selling a bike?

Could it have been a replacement frame ? Maybe the original one broke and has been replaced. If so there should have been some papers showing that ? Just thoughts. And yes you would be able to see the frame numbers after powder coating as said above.

Could it have been a replacement frame ? Maybe the original one broke and has been replaced. If so there should have been some papers showing that ? Just thoughts. And yes you would be able to see the frame numbers after powder coating as said above.

yeah he said it was a replacement but no papers showing so, and there were no numbers on the engine casing

I think I know the bike in question and the family selling it.

Buying bikes privately is always a risk and people are right to be cautious.

I'm not telling anyone to buy it thats entirely their decison.

The frame has been shot blasted and then powder coated this I understand has made the frame number almost impossible to see.

the engine has been painted but I'd think if you scratch off the paint you'll find an engine number.

I can tell you I have known that family for 30 years and they are well known and respected in the trials community

I can tell you where they live

I can tell you the dealer who supplied the bike when new

its not stolen.

the problem the current owner has and why i'm posting this is having done his best to prepare the bike for sale he's not going to be able to sell it to anyone if we all report we think its likely to be nicked.

If anyone wants any information PM me by all means.

This comes under the powder coating is rubbish thread also. Powder is only as good as the monkey doing it and many of the cheap coaters do tend to blast the frames with coarse abrasive therefore about buggering the frame. As the steel is in such a rough condition the frame then needs two coats of powder to make it smooth again, this often means too much thickness and especially if the numbers have not been partially masked off (as we do to keep it nice and thin just over the numbers) then the seond hot (and invariably heavy) coat just smooths the numbers right over and yep leaves them impossible to read, hope this helps :mellow:

Edited by marky boy

I know that the bike wasn't stolen just didn't need the hassle going to sell it afterwards,

I know theyre honest and everything and are 100% genuine

I never said it was stolen.

Didn't mean to offend AT all, sorry mate.

I know that the bike wasn't stolen just didn't need the hassle going to sell it afterwards,

I know theyre honest and everything and are 100% genuine

I never said it was stolen.

Didn't mean to offend AT all, sorry mate.

Don't apologize, very sensible question.

No point in being wise after the event.

too be honest,i have had shot blasting done many time's,and have got too know the fella quite well over the years.had a sherco frame done on an 07 cabestany 290,and when i got it back,it was minus a frame number,which i was quite worried about,because it would give future buyers a worrying factor,of izz this bike a dodgey one,anyway,i'm well known in the trials world by all the top riders.anyway jon lee motorcycle's where i purchased the bike from,sold it with in one week.BUT,just had another frame done,and this time i asked the fella how come he did'nt take off the frame number this time.He just said some times the old paint izz really hard too remove,and every frame izz diffrent.so azz you can imagine i was chuffed too have a frame number.azz baldilocks can speak for the fella selling the bike,then thats ok,BUT we cant speak for all bikes for sale without frame numbers and engine numbers,maybe we could of taken the frame too the local police station,and they can check the numbers and then see it afterwards,i dont know the real way round it too be fair.but seeing numbers punched in all over the place,will flag up,its dodgey and stolen.hope this can help you. still got too be on the look out for other fella's pride and joys.