My Bultaco 159 Project

brt650

Yes, very nice the 159 was known in Spain as the "Manuel Soler" Sherpa.

I agree, I would have preferred to see it in the original Red tank, airbox and silver frame with alloy guards, but it is a nice job anyway!

I am currently doing a 340 (199B) and shortly a 1977 model 199 with some modifications to standard, using a 159 airbox.

Big John

I have an 159 that I have been getting going. My tank looks different than yours (petcock connection). I was wondering what you did to make up the seat? Mine was missing the seat when I got the bike in a box. A member here was very awesome and sent me a seat for the cost of postage. But before that I thinking how I could make one. How did you do it?

Sunny

Thanks for the kind comments.

The bike come with the wrong tank and seat combination. Since I had to buy a new tank I thought I'd go the later style. Especially when a local Australian Trials champion had the tank made for me specifically. It's fibreglass and it has a linning/sealant inside it. Said Trials champion also painted the tank and air box for me too. Special thanks go to Greg for your help. If he could only guide me in the correct way to ride it that would finish it off completely.

I purchased the bike Feb 09. It has taken a while , but I have 6 other bikes as well.

Hello sherpa325 glad you like the tank. Sorry to say I think it was a limited run. I could possibly put you in touch with someone that may be able to get you one.

Hello sunny, funny you mention the seat. It is aluminium base and home made cover. It was originally fitted to my riding mates 199. I told him it was the ugliest seat I had ever seen. With that he purchased a new seat and I ended up with the old one.

I'll be riding it this week end in the 4th round of our local club trials. http://www.denmanmcc.com/

Thanks again

Brian

You can still buy 159 type saddles, here in the Uk they are available from BultacoUK (www.bultacouk.com) I have one here as they also fitted them to the Sherpa 125cc (mod 185) and these were made recently in the UK with new covers. I know who makes the seat bases in the UK but that would be telling!

I think the 159 type seats are also available in Spain also.

I don't know if Hugh Weaver (Bultaco USA) has them or not, I know he does Pursang seat bases etc.

Remember the seat dimensions/fitting differ if the UK alloy tanks are fitted as opposed to the polypropelene versions.

Hope this helps.

Big John

• 4 months later...

Hello Bondy,

The bike did turn out well.I've competed three times with it now and I find it great to ride.

It's apart at the moment ,I'm changing to right side brake. Just can't get my head around it being left side brake.

Also changing the crank. Fitting the correct one finally.

Good luck with your bike.

Hi Brian yes I like your M159 too - almost as much as your avatar but I'm sure you didn't look like that when I saw you last

Regards

David

Hello david,

Thanks for noticing me at all.Hope all is well in QLD. I was actually born there. So we have more in common than you think.

My avatar is a picture of my mum. She's 74 now , I can update the avatar if anyone wishes.

Brian