On Any Sunday

ringo

We've all seen Malcom Smith race in the movie and we saw the trials footage as well. Well now his son, Alexander, is continuing the motorcycling legend's ways by racing events like Red Bull's Romaniacs and yesterday he asked me to help him find a good used Montesa.

Let's get Alexander on a trials bike.

Please forward me any used Montesa you know about;

ringomoto@yahoo.com

Thanks

Ringo

Not trying to steal Ringos thread but this bike may have been or should have been on Any Sunday 2. Have not watched the movie in a long time. Yes the bike was banned. Kenny Roberts has stated 120mph down the staight away, grab some gas and the rear wheel spins

A motorcycle show is Santa Cruz and Ray Abrahms brougth this bike. He took it out and started it up and rode it. The hair on my back, neck, nose (not my forehead) and possible other areas stood up. this bike is whicked bad. As they were loading the bike I grabbed my photo shoot moment (wife not impressed) gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Notice Im wearing my TDN shirt

post-1495-1279773549.jpg

Edited by No Jive

Thanks Martin, that video is awesome. When I was about 12 years old I got to be in a magazine with Kenny for the TY80. It was shot in his backyard. He lived a few miles from my home at the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-TY80...sQ5fAccessories

The start of my modeling career, then I got ugly.

Edited by No Jive

Hey Clive,

The only way you're going to steal my thread is if you ride that thing at the next Endurocross. Oh yeah, and trade that funky green rider wear in on something a bit more bearable. You know EX should be riden in a Hawaiian shirt. :rolleyes: BTW, let me know if 'the mouth' starts talking smack again, I'll come out of retirement just to make him puke in his helmet AGAIN, trying to keep up.

Hey Copenhagen,

Those Montys are completely sick!!! They don't look like they've ever been ridden. Both winners, thanks! I'll follow up and let you know what Alexander says but I can't imagine him not getting one.

Here is a link to a very cool
of the story of Kenny on the TZ at the Indy Mile.

King Kenny !!! Great video , scary bike . I did a few laps on a Jawa speedway bike years ago , I can't even imagine what that TZ would be like !

Glenn :rolleyes:

We were there that fateful day in '75,surrounded by pirates,They were surely p****d off when they announced the winner(At the Indy Mile you can't see the bikes going down the front straight from the Grandstand seats---lame) he was in forth place all race long,the Wrecking Crew would pull him bad through the first half of the straights then he'd hook up and pull right up to the back off the lead pack just as they pitched it into the corners. I read somewhere that he had a kill switch wired to #3 cylinder and would hold it down until the bike hooked up on every straight then let it go once she did.

Actually it was more fun watching him ride the underpowered XS650 based bikes the previous years,he would run wayyyyyy outside on the cushion and pitch it absolutely sideways like a speedway bike,no better show on earth...

I apologize for participating in the corrupting of this thread :rolleyes:

Edited by htrdoug

The start of my modeling career, then I got ugly.

Not ugly, just "mature"..........

The video of the Indy race with Roberts on the TZ is on a rare Peter Starr film "Take It To The Limit", which came out after On Any Sunday, and also includes Debbie Evans doing her famous head stand on her TY175 and a nice interview and videos of Mick Andrews (Russ Collin's ride on the twin supercharged Honda engined Sorcerer drag bike is cool too). I'm lucky enough to have a copy of Starr's film and watch it often.

As I remember, the TZ was introduced in 1974, first as a 700 and then a 750. I've only worked on a couple and they are a brutal, vibrating bindle of instant horsepower only really happy at full chat. I can only think of one rider, Roberts, that could have handled it at that time. I think Kenny was from a little town called Oakdale, up out of the central valley in California and had done some rodeo prior to full time bikes and I'm sure his old skill set helped him handle the TZ. The RR model runs a "dry" clutch and you'll notice the special A&A cover over the basket.

Jon

Edited by JSE

• 2 months later...