Scorpa 2011 Review?

godzilla

I hope to see some positive comments on thes bikes as they come out. Paul is welcome to comment.

The bikes have always been good, well build and reliable and with a good suspention, this motor will set it off! A winner for many!

A Scorps has never been cheap bike to purchase, yet good value in the bike in my eyes!

:D

I had a go on one a few weeks ago, I had cash to buy one but could could not part with it, there was no gain for me in swapping my 08. The suspension was lush but had no noticeable difference in performance to my 08, tho im not sure if the silver Marzocci's are a downgrade? No doubt it looks a little thinner but the back end of the airbox seemed i bit higher than the older bike, and i could feel my ass hitting it. The bike has retained its chunky looks something i was concerned about. It seemed to stall it quite a bit too, this is a problem i have always had with the motor, there where a couple of other issues i had with the finnish that that cemented my decission to hold on to my yam motor SY.

Overall i think its a good bike, but the motor did not suit my style of riding as there is simpley not enough flywheel weight. In fairness the old scorpa did not suit me out of the box either and i sware by a 3.1kg TYZ fly wheel. Another question i could not help thinking was will the 2012 scorpa's come with the old motor or will they have the NEW sherco engine? it would not supprise me if the bike changes quite a bit next year.

Edited by godzilla

I had a go on one a few weeks ago, I had cash to buy one but could could not part with it, there was no gain for me in swapping my 08. The suspension was lush but had no noticeable difference in performance to my 08, tho im not sure if the silver Marzocci's are a downgrade? No doubt it looks a little thinner but the back end of the airbox seemed i bit higher than the older bike, and i could feel my ass hitting it. The bike has retained its chunky looks something i was concerned about. It seemed to stall it quite a bit too, this is a problem i have always had with the motor, there where a couple of other issues i had with the finnish that that cemented my decission to hold on to my yam motor SY.

Overall i think its a good bike, but the motor did not suit my style of riding as there is simpley not enough flywheel weight. In fairness the old scorpa did not suit me out of the box either and i sware by a 3.1kg TYZ fly wheel. Another question i could not help thinking was will the 2012 scorpa's come with the old motor or will they have the NEW sherco engine? it would not supprise me if the bike changes quite a bit next year.

Only the recent years(racing)version of the SY had the light weitht flywheel here as I recall. Seemed similar to my sherco at the time(few years back) yet I doubt one would get the same feel really unless on a weighted Beta or such. All take some adjustment, unfortunatly Sherco do not offer a weight! Oh well! :thumbup:

Only the recent years(racing)version of the SY had the light weitht flywheel here as I recall. Seemed similar to my sherco at the time(few years back) yet I doubt one would get the same feel really unless on a weighted Beta or such. All take some adjustment, unfortunatly Sherco do not offer a weight! Oh well! :thumbup:

I've had 04 05 07 and a couple of 08's all had light flywheels. I could probably have made the 2011 bike run to suit me better if it was mine to fiddle with. Im just going to have to get over the fact that the 4GG motor is no more. Its only a matter of time until i own one as for me its got the best suspension going.

Regardless of how good or bad any bike is TMX are hardly likely to give a new bike a terrible review.

Edited by godzilla

• 4 weeks later...

I've had 04 05 07 and a couple of 08's all had light flywheels. I could probably have made the 2011 bike run to suit me better if it was mine to fiddle with. Im just going to have to get over the fact that the 4GG motor is no more. Its only a matter of time until i own one as for me its got the best suspension going.

Regardless of how good or bad any bike is TMX are hardly likely to give a new bike a terrible review.

I also thought the Scorpa suspension felt as good as anything out there, the tmx report states they have cganged the rear shock to a shorter unit, hope it has retained the feel. clicky >

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/scorpa_scorcher/index.html

I also thought the Scorpa suspension felt as good as anything out there, the tmx report states they have cganged the rear shock to a shorter unit, hope it has retained the feel. clicky >

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/scorpa_scorcher/index.html

Obvious Ishy has an eye on things as well. I might add the suspension, steering and build quality seemed as good as anything out there. I hope it continues in tradition, as the motor is different but should be a wicked bike! Notice he did make mention of the power of the bike. God, I have become a specilist at de-tuning these things, could I please just have a 250!!!!!!!! No rocket science here! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Last weekend our club (YeoVale) ran the penultimate round of the South Western Centre Championship. Whilst walking around the course I got chatting to Joe Baker and I asked him what he thought of the new Scorpa and he said he really liked it. After the trial he sought me out and offered me the chance to ride his bike....

I currently ride an '04 SY and so this was a bit of a step up in terms of age but what a really smooth motor. I used to have a 290 Sherco and although it was nice it was always a little bit too 'sharp' for me, this new Scorpa was fantastic to ride, loads of grunt and it pulled really smooth right off the bottom, with no hesitation whatsoever. The bike felt light, although not quite as light as a Gasser feels but very nice and balanced. The motor was the big surprise for me and I did ask Joe what had been done to it, as it was so nice, and he assured me that the motor was stock.

I really liked it and for the record I think that ALL trials bikes are expensive at

• 2 weeks later...

We were up at Trials Training Center for the last STRA Trial of the season. Nice weekend! Brad B. had a 2011 Scorpa that he rode the event with and he asked if I would like to ride it. :agreed:

I just stayed in the field and rode the logs, rocks, and whatever those cement things are. I really liked the bike. I have a 2009 Sherco Economy 2.9, so I adapted to it easily. I would guess that the motor is almost the same but it was a bit more snappy on the bottom and had a real nice intake growl and a slightly different exhaust note.

It seemed easier to balance and the steering could be turned farther than any bike I have owned. Maybe that is why I could balance better. The front fork was very smooth and it was easier to hop for me. Both the front and rear were more active and the bike rode higher in the travel than my Sherco. I don't know if it has more ground clearance or if it just feels that way because because of this. When zapping up onto something it was easier for me to get the rear up on the obstacle.

Clutch was very predictable just like my Sherco and the brakes were stronger at both ends. I have always wished for just a bit more front brake and the Scorpa has it. (But the grips would have to go). I have always been impressed with the part quality and fit and finish of the Scorpas. This one looks to be the same build quality unit. When someone gets one and can take it apart and put it back together, we will know.

I wish I had the funds to give one a more permenant try, but! :unsure:

I think this would be a good bike for me!! :D:thumbup:

Frank

Oh Ya, I am a "Mid Pack" at best Advanced rider. so take my opinion, for what it is worth. :mellow:

Edited by AHAMAYfrank