New Bike But Which Engine!?

manx2day

I'm looking to downgrade from my current 07 300cc Gasser and purchase a brand spaking new one but, i don't know which engine to get. I'm an average clubmans rider.

I love the 300, it's brilliant fun but i think that the bike is taking me up most things rather than me doing any "leg work" so i'm considering a smaller capacity to help with my riding (does it work or is it a mental thing!?). Anyone had any experience of last years 280 and 250? Noone here on the Isle of Man really has a smaller one so i can't get out and try them.

Would the 280 or 250 suit me better, what are you guys riding/considering at the moment?

Cheers.

What you need is a 290 Beta

And a bigger van to carry the spare shocks!

Definatly Agree with having a 290 Evo, Are the shocks really that bad?, I have had my evo 290 now for about 10 months and the shock has been fine, never caused any problems.

Definatly Agree with having a 290 Evo, Are the shocks really that bad?, I have had my evo 290 now for about 10 months and the shock has been fine, never caused any problems.

Yeah have had a few problems with mine, think am on shock number 4! I know three other 2010 bikes which have all had shocks replaced. But to be fair Beta UK have been great and sent out replacements the same day, so I can't complain , will be defo sticking with Beta for 2011!!!

I have an 07 300, kid has an 05 280 and wife rides a 10 250. I would buy another 300 if I was buying a new one but I like the wife's 250 better than either of the 280 pros we've had. The engine seems to run more like the 300 with better bottom end pull than the 280s. Even after re-jetting the 280s just don't run the way I like em to. Not sure about the newest 280s as I haven't been on one but I am guessing they are still like the older ones, seems to me as if you have to keep em at higher revs to get the pull.