Swingarm

stuessenhigh

Hi all..

just ripped them little bolts out on my swingarm today...the ones that stop the snail chain adjuster thingy. I'll try to post a pic, to show you what I mean..although I always have trouble posting a pic.

ANyway...the reason I'm telling you all this..is I could see one of the bolts was knackered..or more so the thread was knackered ages ago..but I should have done something about it then, 'cause now its REALLY knackered..kind of ripped itself a nice little sideways hole in the swingarm..so will have to be welded? re-drilled? and re-threaded now.

SO KEEP an eye on that bit REV riders.

PS> If I CAN post a pic it will be BEFORE the damage...will try to take a pic of the damage and post soon. :wall:

post-5-1106914429.jpg

Edited by StuEssenhigh

Yours is the 3rd one I've seen go. I've mentioned this before about Beta's. I don't know whether thay've changed the design now but they needed to.

I put my adjusters whichever way leaves it pointing upwards, so it stays out of the way of rocks.

ITs actually a pretty simple fix. I did one side of my 03. Was in the middle of a hillclimb section when I heard a loud bang and my bike was stopped immediatly. Still dont know to this day what happened but the snail pin was damaged just like you are talking.

I took off the swing arm and the bent bolt, put it in a drill press and drilled it out to a SAE, thats what I had, pinned insert. I am not sure what the exact name of them are but they are like a helicoil but yet different. They are a threaded insert with 2 pins machined into the outside. You drill and tap the proper size hole and threat the insert in. When it is in properly you tap the 2 pins in and that locks the insert. The insert is threaded on the inside for a bolt. Get the proper size bolt and some loc tite and you are back in business.

I know that does not sound simple but it is. If I just left you with more questions than answers let me know.

Aaron

Hi Stu,

These screws were a problem on my '04 rev from the beginning. The one on the drive side bent just like yours. Most of the threaded holes in the revs are helicoiled, but the ones for the chain adjuster are fairly short. They carry their load in the shearing direction instead of in tension. Since the aluminum is soft, the hole seems to elongate. I think the helicoil may have been left a bit below the swingarm surface which left the screw a little bit unsupported right at the head, which is where it is most needed.I removed the helicoil and peened the displaced metal back flush with the swing arm, retapped the hole, and replaced the helicoil. I used a better grade socket head cap screw using Locktite and tightened it up really tight.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I also used a screw long enough to get a nut on the back side. I also tighten the crap out of my axel nut.

I really have not had any more problems.

I believe that the peices that AMiller are referring too are often called Twinserts or KeenSerts. Available at good nut and bolt houses. Have the advantage of using standard threads inside and out so no special taps etc to buy.

Hmmm, KeenSert is a brand as well, and do make the inserts that I would call HeliCoils (another brand) but they also make the ones I was referring too. Here is a link that should have a picture if you click on it.

http://www.imperialinc.com/items.asp?item=0072010

The downside is that they are larger than a corresponding helicoil and in some applications that can be problematic.

Edited by Alan Bechard

Thanks guys for all your help!..I'm gonna get the swingarm off today..and post some pictures to you all of the damage.

Then..hopefully I;ll get a guy here to sort it, who is an excellent welder etc. so I'm sure I'll be OK. Will also try and post some pics of the problem when its fixed, for everyones interest! :wall: (wish me luck)..even getting the swingarm off will be an adventure for me!

Hi Dabster..can't picture what you mean..although I'm sure its a good idea. Will try to have a look at the Sherco tommorow, and/or if you could post a pic it would be great. Have already sent my swingarm to a guy to fix though, so too late for now maybe..but it would be nice to fully understand your idea for the future/next time it happens!!!! :wall:

Oh! and heres a picture of the damage I've been rabbiting on about..and I'll also post a pic of the damage AFTER its been fixed...hopefully in a couple of days time :P

post-5-1106982377.jpg

Philswiv...going back to what you said about the postion of the snail adjusters. John Lampkins guide to prepping a Rev3 for the SSDT suggests getting the rear bolt on your rear calliper support countersunk. This enables you to put the snail adjuster pointing upwards. In standard form, you cannot always put your snail adjuster pointing up the way because that bolt for the brake calliper gets in the way.

Its a shame...after 5 years of Rev3 that Beta cannot sort that out..and sort out the problem I'm currently having. NOT moaning...just surprised they havent done it..'cause otherwise the Rev3 is excellent in MY opinion. :wall:

John Lampkins guide to prepping a Rev3 for the SSDT suggests getting the rear bolt on your rear calliper support countersunk. This enables you to put the snail adjuster pointing upwards. In standard form, you cannot always put your snail adjuster pointing up the way because that bolt for the brake calliper gets in the way.

I ran into this problem a while back - a couple of hours before the trial starts and I've just noticed that the clip on the split link is bent and a couple of the other links are damaged so I replace the chain. I don't want the adjuster cams pointing down 'cos I know it's going to be a rocky event but can't get the correct chain tension because of that bloody bolt! In one of my trademark "bodge it now and worry about it afterwards" moments I grabbed the Dremel and ground the bolt head flat where it was fouling the cam. It's still like that... :wall:

Edited by neonsurge

The deal with the Sherco-type is, rather thatn having the bolt itself touching the snail, use 2 bolts to hold a triangular bit of aluminum wherein one of its points indexes into the notches in the snail.

Now you have 2 bolts doing the job, and the piece that gets the abuse is easy to file/grind/replace.