shutting engine off in emergency

1956mga

Haha,

Im sure that sounds worse than it is..

I store my bike at my mates workshop where we can ride on some rough ground and get into some forestry quite near. sometimes while waiting or warming the bike up, just up and down his yard, i've seen people step off and the bike keeps going (not full throttle) with rider running after it :lol:

looks quite funny but not when its heading towards your car.

(personally i think my bike gets on better without me)

• 6 months later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my Beta runs low on fuel, the RPMs go through the roof!!! This has happened to me while riding but thankfully I was in 3rd gear and it happened while I was turning on gravel so my bike slid on its side and I flew off (this happened today).

What happens when you have high RPMs while riding and your kill switch doesn't work? Do I just pop it in first gear or neutral and just try to choke it to death? Wouldn't I totally screw up my bike if I stalled it by shifting into a higher gear from neutral with so many RPMs?

I never knew about the glove-to-exhaust technique; it makes sense! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully next time my bike freaks out it will be without a rider!!! Currently I don't have a kill switch so my bike is just a deathtrap and I'm retiring it until I get it figured out.

When my Beta runs low on fuel, the RPMs go through the roof!!! This has happened to me while riding but thankfully I was in 3rd gear and it happened while I was turning on gravel so my bike slid on its side and I flew off (this happened today).

What happens when you have high RPMs while riding and your kill switch doesn't work? Do I just pop it in first gear or neutral and just try to choke it to death? Wouldn't I totally screw up my bike if I stalled it by shifting into a higher gear from neutral with so many RPMs?

I never knew about the glove-to-exhaust technique; it makes sense! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully next time my bike freaks out it will be without a rider!!! Currently I don't have a kill switch so my bike is just a deathtrap and I'm retiring it until I get it figured out.

Revs rise when you un out of fuel??? If that is the case your bike maybe running too rich causing it to run lower rpms and the leaning out mixture is just the engine correcting the mixture. Or I'm wrong.

Yip a glove over the exhaust does it every time.

• 1 month later...

Best advice I was given, although I haven't tried it , is with the throttle stuck wide open , try and turn the bike upside down. The float bowl empties to the top of the carb and the engine will stop due to no fuel going through carb .

At the moment the engine was flat out, whether I would have the b*lls to try this is another question !!!

Phil

Edited by Pistonbroke

Best advice I was given, although I haven't tried it , is with the throttle stuck wide open , try and turn the bike upside down. The float bowl empties to the top of the carb and the engine will stop due to no fuel going through carb .

At the moment the engine was flat out, whether I would have the b*lls to try this is another question !!!

Phil

Back wheel spinning at30 mph, exhaust red hot, has the potential to hurt.

I was stuck ontop of a rock so the upside down method wasnt very feasable. Glove worked first time although i burnt my hand as i didnt think to take my glove off and fo it, but many thanks to this thread as i remembered about it and learnt it from here, then tried kicking off once i got off from the rock and it still continued so pulled the cap up enough to stop the bike but not to remove the cap. I guess another method would be to just close the petrol valve as at full revs it wouldnt take long to empty the carb, although could still take a minute of your bike revving out

Revs rise when you un out of fuel???

Yep.

Those of us who have roadraced two-strokes have a permanently crimped left index finger due to covering the clutch lever so we can grab it instantly at the first signs of a power surge as we know the next step is engine lock-up and the dreaded "flying W" into the hay bales.....:)

What happens is that a disruption in the fuel delivery (blockage, venting issue or low fuel) will lean the air/fuel ratio at full romp, giving higher combustion chamber temps and elevated piston pressure (power surge), however, the spike in c/c temp will also then lead quickly to detonation and seizure and then the Flying W....

Jon