Castrol TTS

monty_jon

it states UPTO 50:1 so if your running 80:1 you will be fine remember with ratios ??:1 more is less ,eg.80:1=1.25% and 50:1=2% hope this is a help

Up to 50:1 means anything between:- 1:1 to 50:1

so according to Castrol its not suitable for 80:1

I run mine at 50:1 anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running about 80ml per 5litres of fuel around 60:1 of tts for a few years with no problems.

Although it's recommended up to 50:1, I think this is for high-speed heavy-load applications

and Trials, of course, is a unique use with less severe conditions.

I too have run TTS for years at 70:1 and have had no problems or issues.

Jon

Before you make up your mind what oil and ratio to run I suggest you read:

Two stroke tuners handbook by Gordon Jennings - Do a search and you can read it on web - no need to buy

Two stroke performance tuning by A Graham Bell - You will have to buy this, published by Haynes of car manual fame.

Note that the oil suppliers often use terms like "up to 80:1" and "follow manufacturers recommendations".

I would never go leaner than 32:1, sure with modern oils and engine materials you are unlikely to seize even at 80:1 but less oil means more wear. A good film of oil between piston and barrel is very important to conduct heat out of the piston to control piston crown temperatures.

Cheers

Two stroke tuners handbook by Gordon Jennings - Do a search and you can read it on web - no need to buy

Two stroke performance tuning by A Graham Bell - You will have to buy this, published by Haynes of car manual fame.

Note that the oil suppliers often use terms like "up to 80:1" and "follow manufacturers recommendations".

I would never go leaner than 32:1, sure with modern oils and engine materials you are unlikely to seize even at 80:1 but less oil means more wear. A good film of oil between piston and barrel is very important to conduct heat out of the piston to control piston crown temperatures.

Cheers

Bell

Cheers

Both books are excellent and I have them in my technical library. Jennings' book is still probably one of the best and a good starting point for gaining a basic understanding of high performance engine design. Both, however, do not incorporate technological advances that have occured since 1983 (Bell) and in Jennings' case, 1973, and are oriented towards high-RPM, maximum load engine operating conditions rather than the low-RPM, variable load, on-off throttle operating conditions we experience in Trials.

Just as I would choose a different oil and ratio for the roadrace engines I built, compared to, for instance, the Motocross, Supercross and shifter kart engines, I would choose a different oil and ratio for Trials applications. I run (full-synthetic) 50:1 in my air-cooled Trials bikes and 70:1 in my liquid-cooled model and have monitered all of them carefully for problems, of which there have been none relating to lubrication.

Around 80:1 seems to be the general choice for most Trials riders running the 125cc and up displacement engines, but I also agree that you should run the oil and ratio that you feel comfortable with as I've rarely seen an engine experience mechanical damage from too much oil, only performance deterioration.

Jon