250 OR 290 EVO

betarick

Right i have been given the go ahead for a new bike from boss i mean wife! I want a new 2011 evo but which one? Is the 290 a handfull or should i stick with a 250. Are they hard work to control and tire you out riding them.Or are they more tame had a 270 rev 3 a few years ago and found it hard work!

i have the 2009 250 evo and love it and am definetly glad i went for the smaller engine.

ride hard course and it gets up evrything iv pointed it at. i prefer softer bikes where you have to make them get up stuff- used to have a scorpa and got along well with that aswell.

i think people wrongly go for bigger bike thinking they'll shoot up and over everything.. get you in trouble faster too!

Yes but the 270 rev was well known for being mad i got a 2010 Evo 290 after riding a 250 Scorpa, never got on with the Scorpa but the Evo is brilliant the low end power is phenominal without being harsh: engine maping 1 for rocks 2 for mud. its the low end power that is really usefull and no more stalling!

I had a Scorpa sy250 and switched to the 09-290EVO. It's motor is very easy to manage, very smooth and tractable power.I was told by my local Beta dealer that the 290 has more torque than the 270 and spools up smoother.

That was my impression too. Jumping off my Scorpa onto a 290 Evo (with soft setting switched on) the Evo power felt just like my Scorpa until about 1/3 throttle, after that it was a different story but the bottom end is superb.

I could ride a whole event without using more than 1/3 throttle, perhaps that is a waste but it's the bike I would buy if I was looking to change.

So has anyone changed from a 250 Evo to a 290 Evo or vice versa and what were your reasons for doing so?

Can anyone describe the differences they noticed either way?

I have noticed that at the SSDT the majority of riders plump for the 250 suggesting it is easier to ride for prolonged periods or am I missing something?

Hi

I have had 250cc (2009 & 2010) Beta Evo.........I now have a 290cc 2010 Evo which i think is alot better for me than the 250cc.

The guys i ride with all have betas,and we have rode each others bikes...3 of us have 290cc and for the stuff we do the 290 just seems better.

The 290 has so much low end power but it is still easy to ride in the tight twisty sections.

When kicking the bike over to start it.... thats when you notice its a 290....It does seem you have to use a fair bit more effort but with a good kick they start first or second time every time.

Cheers

3 of us have 290cc and for the stuff we do the 290 just seems better.

What kind of stuff is the "stuff we do"?

In out area (Houston, Texas) the primary "stuff we do" is VERY tight, lots of off-camber, loose dirt, where traction and smooth power are king. Almost every one of us ride 4-strokes, because they lend themself so well to that terrain. After 7 years on 4-strokes, I am returning to 2-strokes (long story). Had to decide between the 250 and 290 with no real opportunity to test either. Went with the 250 in hope that it is the smoother, and more tractable, of the two, down on the bottom end. We don't have any long climbs, or big steps, where (I think) the 290 would be of benefit. Hopefully, I made the right choice. Will find out, in a few weeks, when the 2011's finally get to the US.

What kind of stuff is the "stuff we do"?

In out area (Houston, Texas) the primary "stuff we do" is VERY tight, lots of off-camber, loose dirt, where traction and smooth power are king. Almost every one of us ride 4-strokes, because they lend themself so well to that terrain. After 7 years on 4-strokes, I am returning to 2-strokes (long story). Had to decide between the 250 and 290 with no real opportunity to test either. Went with the 250 in hope that it is the smoother, and more tractable, of the two, down on the bottom end. We don't have any long climbs, or big steps, where (I think) the 290 would be of benefit. Hopefully, I made the right choice. Will find out, in a few weeks, when the 2011's finally get to the US.

I would think you will like the 250. Good on you! :rolleyes:

Hi DG Shannon

We do a lot of free riding out in the woods and make courses up along a route we are riding on... Lots of big climbs up banks out of streams and over rocks, fallen trees etc. (some times the rides are more like euduro riding)

I found the 250 good but you needed to rev the bike and use the top end of the rev band more... then sometimes the bike would spin the rear wheel up and lose traction.

With the 290 you can stick it in say third gear and get up almost any obstacles you come across.. The 290 is very smooth and when they first came out in the uk many of the bike magazine's commented on how smooth the 290 was to use....many prefered it when compared to the 250...

Only my personal view but after owning both i like the 290 more...

It would be hard to say percentage wise how much better i think it is but will say ....to me engine wise its 20/30% better....

I have been able to relax more riding the 290 and my riding has improved...i know this because on some of the routes we use on certain parts i would struggle to do...now i do them a lot easier.... Before i thought it was due to my mates having a better riding technic but now after changing to a 290 i realise it was down to the bike in some areas....

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...