2011 BETA EVO

betarick

• 2 weeks later...

Mine finally hit the motor freight dock at 10:45 am Friday. Sadly, the company (Estes Express) could not be bothered to unload it until well into the night, so no delivery to me Friday. When pushed to have it ready for me to pick it up myself, they swore it would be ready at 7:00 PM. So, after the hour long drive, across Houston, I arrived to find that they had not even backed that truck up to the dock yet, and I would have to wait. Much later, here comes my box, plopped over on it's side, tilted back on the forklift so that the tires, peeking out of the box, were the highest point on the bike. The tip of the gearshift lever was poking out the side of the box, and bent, so that it wouldn't fold any longer. All in all, a very bad experience, and I cannot recommend Estes Express to anyone.

With all that said, it took burning the midnight oil to get the bike prepped Friday night, and ready for the early Saturday ride. But, let me say that come the end of the day Saturday, it made it all worthwhile. I am extremely happy with the bike. After 7 years on 4-strokes, I was anxious about returning to a 2-stroke, as well as undecided about picking a 250 over a 290. Granted, I have only one day of riding so far, but my concerns are gone. The bike was super smooth, with plenty of low end grunt. One of the other threads covers "necessary" clutch mods, so I was concerned about that, but mine is extremely smooth straight out of the box.

Houston gets about 4 of those "perfect weekends" weather wise, per year, and yesterday was one of them. With 8 riding buddies, and a sweet brand new bike, it hardly gets any better.

Fantastic, glad you enjoyed your ride.

It's always tough choosing which bike to buy so when you finally get to ride it and love it then all those fears and anxieties just disappear. Now you can get on with enjoying your riding.

"One of the other threads covers "necessary" clutch mods"

One of the hopes in doing the clutch mod description was that Beta says "Aha!" and gets on the plate manufacturer to clean up their act. Maybe it finally happened. I find it just as tedious and annoying to do the mod as everyone else.

Can't talk you into opening your clutch cover to confirm it's fixed though I guess ;)

Congrats on the new machine.

Yesterday I was able to ride a 2011 290evo for a day. It seems the new clutch has a lighter pull at the lever and the clutch engaged very smoothly like my DW modded 09 clutch does but with the lever pulled to the bar it still drags at a stop and at times wouldnt allow the transmission to shift while at a stop with the motor running. Without being able to open the clutch and have a look at the fiber plates I cant say if Beta changed them from 09 spec clutch plates. I think the clutch drag is oil related. I have tried several different oils in my 09 transmission and after modding the fiber plates to allow more oil to pass thru the grooves I found the GM Autotrac2 to offer the least clutch drag. My 09 has no clutch drag while using this oil. While riding the 2011 I also noticed that while rolling the transmission does change gears slightly easeyer than my 09evo. I think Beta did a very nice job updating the evo suspension to it's current state. It's a nice looking machine too. You will have fun with this bike betarick.

Yesterday I was able to ride a 2011 290evo for a day. It seems the new clutch has a lighter pull at the lever and the clutch engaged very smoothly like my DW modded 09 clutch does but with the lever pulled to the bar it still drags at a stop and at times wouldnt allow the transmission to shift while at a stop with the motor running.

Interesting. Mine does not drag, even when the lever is not "pulled to the bar". In other words, in normal riding position (three fingers on bars and one on clutch) I can pull the lever in to my knuckles, and have no drag. Sure that has a great deal to do with lever adjustment, as well. I slide my clutch (and brake) perch very far inboard, on the bars, so that my finger is working almost out at the tip of the lever. Allows for maximum leverage, and most progressive range of motion. Add to that, the screw adjust being set so that all but the slightest movement of the lever begins to disengage the clutch. With all that, my clutch has long since fully disengaged before the lever meets the bars. For gearoil, I went with Castrol fully synthetic MTX 80 weight. So far, so good.

I cant say why the clutch behaved the way it did as its not my bike. Its a dealer demo bike, and it might of had a couple hours on it when i rode it. My hands are pretty thick and the dealers hands are thinner than mine. He setup the bike for himself. He likes the clutch to start to engage just after the lever leaves his knuckles. So naturaly pulling the lever to my knuckles is not going to fully disengage the clutch. It still wouldnt disengage completly by pulling the lever to the bar. If i could have i would have adjusted the lever out some to suit my habits. It's possible this would have solved the problem completly, but I have a feeling the tranny may have had too much oil in it. It was a mix of whatever Beta puts in at the factory and some Maxima tranny lube which he likes.

I have my 09 clutch lever set somewhat like yours. I have had to dab a few times due to needing to shift from second to first and not being able to due to the clutch dragging with the lever pulled to my knuckles. So I have adjusted my clutch lever so that the clutch is fully disengaged when the lever gets to my knuckles. It's taken me awhile to learn the feel of the clutch with the lever setup this way, but i now have peace of mind knowing that i can select a different gear when i need to in a section.

Edited by Liviob