2011 event

mexmex

1st, thank you guys. Amazing forum you have here, I'm into reading for few days now. Lots of useful information.

I'm thinking going the SSDT next year. My goal is to enjoy the event and to try to pass it nicely. Not competing with anyone beside myself.

My Trial skill are novice+. I used to compete in Europe 10 years back on Scorpa easy 280 with Sneezy team (Eddy Moermans) from Belgium (are they still running?), and I even went 2 times to compete in the "4 days of Crouse" in south of France.

I believe I have the endurance for the SSDT, after finishing twice the ISDE (Chile 2007 and Mexico 2010) and the Baja 1000 solo rider (23 hours straight).

Can I reach my goals? I don't have to many streaming rivers here but I can find some to practice...

And I will be happy to hear more about the rules of the event:

- Can a mechanic touch the bike or its rider only like the ISDE?

- Do I have time check points to pass during the day? if yes, how is the penalization works?

- Should I bring a friend to ride with me or I can ride it alone no problem?

Thanks in advance for your great help!

Yoram Lavee

Mexico

Wow there are a few difficult questions in there. the SSDT is nothing like 4 days of Cruise. The SSDT has one route for everybody with 30 sections and an average of about 100 miles per day with a time limit, I don't want to comment on working on bikes etc. as this aspect of the trial has changed since I was riding the trial. The Cruise is 16 sections with 4 routes to suit all abilities the time control etc. is "laid back" ,daily mileage is maximum 60, you can take your bike back in the evening etc etc.

Only you will know if the SSDT is possible for you, I would say that if you can keep up and have a good go at most sections it would be worth making the trip and that a large part of doing this trial for a lot of us is to have the spirit /determination to finish. You must also have luck and a little finess to get your machine through the week. Have you thought about maybe just coming to have a look first or even volunteering to help out with the running of the trial?. I don't want to put you off but this trial (and I've ridden most of the classic trials available in this world including those you mention) is the ultimate test of man and bike (as it says on the tin). If you enter and get a ride prepare both physically and mentally for the ultimate trialing experience. Good luck maybe see you ther next year.

The sections are a piece of cake compared to actually getting to the sections, that's what separates the men from the boys, the reliable bikes from the ones that fall apart.

Good luck if you do get an entry, you will need it.

B0llOcks. Very few SSDT sections are a piece of cake to a novice rider even arriving fresh. Arriving after a long moor run just makes that worse. A novice can however easily keep up a steady pace on the moors to remain on good time. Its hard work but usually not too technically challanging.

with it been the centenary getting an entry at the first attempt would be a big enough achievement.

it would be difficult to manage by yourself i'd suspect that the best way would be via renting a bike from one of the importers Beta have the biggest set up but others are available.

the kit you'd have to invest in would not be insignificant. it rains a lot and you'll get wet very often or it could be like summer and you could ride all day with suncream or it could snow a lot.

check out the videos of the trial on you-tube and ask yourself honestly if you can amke a genuine attempt at the sections. can you ride a trials bike for 100 miles a day every day for a week against the clock, can you cross the wettest moors in europe for hours on end using nothing more than sheep tracks and often not even that.

if the answer is an honest yes then fill in the paperwork and start robbing banks.. good luck ( with the trial, not robbing banks!)

I'm trying to understand what is so hard in the event. As you said, its not the sections themselves (I could see in the videos that they are not pro level) but the time stress and the riding parts between the sections?

Why they are so hard? 'cos you need to ride 8 hard off road hours continuously? I can do that (twice ISDE shows me that :) ).

Is there any un-passable parts on the way? (for me, indoor obstacle is un-passable) or its just hard Enduro like long rides?

I know the 4 days of Cruis is a laid back event. 10 years ago I was lazy, heavy smokers, zero physical condition and I still enjoyed it very much. This days I'm not smoking for 4 years not, I'm in the best shape I ever had and I'm looking for hard challenges.

Yes, I will need to work hard on my in-section level in order not to score to many fives, but honestly, focused, hard training toward an event is what keeping me moving.

Can you explain me on one leg the rules? I get the in-section points, but how they count in any time delays? Who, where and when can work on the bike during and after the day?

I'm already in touch with Lampkin, the Beta importer, which comes up good 'cos here I'm riding Beta anyway. I actually going to get some of the expenses paid by our importer. And it's not so expensive by the way. Just to put things in perspective, an ISDE race will cost 3000$ in bike rent, 1500$ in service pack, 800$ registration, 1000$ tires and mousses, hotels, flights etc...this is 10,000$ race!

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all your inputs!

B0llOcks. Very few SSDT sections are a piece of cake to a novice rider even arriving fresh. Arriving after a long moor run just makes that worse. A novice can however easily keep up a steady pace on the moors to remain on good time. Its hard work but usually not too technically challanging.

Think you've maybe taken me out of context or I've not put over what I meant. I'm trying to explain to the fella that the stuff between the sections, over the moors etc will take just as much out of him as the sections will....No ?

Video of the sections doesn't show how steep some of the section are, but for the most part they are se out for the club rider.

Riding the event for the first time is the hardest because you don't know what to expect, the course between the sections seems to go on for ever just because you don't know where you are going.

You can work on your bike any time it's in your possession and not in a time control.

The best way to keep on time is watch the numbers close to you, if you can't comfortably keep up with the between the sections, make you time up at the section and don't waste too much time watching other riders ride the section.

Riding too fast can waste more time fixing flats and breakages, the bike has to last all week, take care of it and ride within your capability.

If your entry is accepted all the information you need regarding rules and regulations are mailed to you.

Your daily route card has everything regarding time, delay, groups of sections and how many sections at each group clearly marked.

The event program has expected arrival of first rider at each section, you can work app. out how long it should take you to be at any point on the course.

Having ridden a few times I have it down to keep going steady all day, A. B. C. D. E.F

etc,for each group in turn, don't leave the group until you see the end of hill card, every group has one at the end of the last section of that group.

Don't snivel about being cold and wet until after the event, you may think it can't get any worse, but it can :)

I have seen people who have gone up as a spectator, got a late entry due to a no show, rode the event for the first time and had a blast all week, and others who thought they were all prepared and just couldn't cope at all with it, it's not everyones cup of tea, but unless you have a go at it, you will never know.

Edited by ishy

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...