Help sherco 250

stilly

Can any 1 help my sherco has got me head battered, a few weeks ago it kicked back on me and the rear wheel rotated clockwise, I stripped it timeing set to standard, new woodruff key put it back together, got the nut as tight as it would go with a scaffy bar on the end, 2 meters out the shed it started spluttering and the wheel rotated backwards again, 3 times I have done this in the process I have snapped my kickstart an will have it to replace now, help 1, why dose the wheel rotate backwards, 2, could the groove in the flywheel be worn and that's the problem, 3, is there a bigger woodruff key I can put in, any ideas much appreciated

I've seen this happen before, but not recently. When the bike splutters the engine stops briefly before the piston has reached the top, the ignited gas then pushes the piston back the other way. In 2 strokes there is no reason why the engine can't run in reverse, but it tends to stay running forward because that's how it was started and the flywheel keeps it going. So any 2 stroke that splutters significantly can run backwards, but what really makes this more likely to happen is over-advanced ignition timing. This means the spark plug is sparking too early and before the piston is at the top. (the factory settings are usually a little bit of spark advance though because this helps make more power). Over-advanced ignition timing will cause knock and splutter, which causes the engine to slow down and then the over-advanced spark helps push the piston back down before it reaches the top. So check your timing. I don't mean check that it's at the factory settings, sometimes they make mistakes. Measure it as per these instructions found here:

http://www.sherco.com/wayne_corner.html

If the timing looks right, it might be that it's just the splutter, so clean your carb and change your spark plug. If that doesn't work it might be your electrics, in which case see if you can find a mate with the same bike who's willing to let you swap bits over to see if you can diagnose which bit of the electrics has gone faulty.

Sherco is 2.50 2004 if I remove the flywheel put a new wood ruff key in it only seems to last a short while then it kicks back and splutters, when it's running it's sweet as a nut no spluttering, the first time it did it the fly wheel must have slipped on the key, as described on here it took loads of try's to pull the flywheel off and then it came of, put it back together and it lasted a few hours, don't understand why it was running ok and now all I have done is put a new key in, do I need to do the timeing with a strobe light

Remember that the key is only there to position/time the flywheel to the crankshaft. It is the Taper that does the work, is it damaged, you can check it by applying engineers blue or even a bit of marker pen (put it on one surface leave the key out offer the other part up and rotate it .. remove second part and look for "witness marks; where the ink has been removed), in an ideal situation you want all of it evenly rubbed off. I have had to lap these tapers before after damage/bruising due to key shears and resulting "chew up" , it is a job for someone with experience really but to check the taper is mating isn't going to do any harm. worth checking !

Does sound as though your taper fitment on the shaft and flywheel may need attention. These things will not shear a woodruff key if the flywheel is fitted properly, reguardless of other ignition problems.

Not quite sure about "got the nut as tight as it would go with a scaffy bar on the end" really equates to, but to torque this properly, you need a flywheel holder and torque wrench set to 100nm. Exceeding this could damage the threads, then you are screwed, so you cannot simply drive it into submission with a rattle gun.

:rolleyes:

My mate Ed had the same problem with his 290, he said;-

when it cools/cold runs ok but as it warms up the bike quickly splutters and ran backwards....its the stator breaking down when it warms up....just need to replace and will be fine.....

Eddie

Hope this helps

I have put it back together set timeing to standard setting, put thread lock on the woodruff key and shaft and threads, everything tightened back up to 75 ft lbs, it started ok ran for few minutes and then started spluttering, I am going to strip all the wires out and clean them and clean the carb just in case it's dampness or something else i might have missed before I buy a stator will keep you all informed thanks for the info but still I have to batter my head on the wall when will I get to ride again,

Mmmmmmmm what is going on now I have stripped the carb down cleaned it like a new pin, stripped all the wiring out I did find some dampness on some wires, got a new kickstart,(expensive) it has started up and ran for half a hour that's all the time I had to play it's dark, it ticks over great aswell, could I have been looking and blaming the stator and it was dampness all the time, dont believe it, Sunday will tell because I will be out all day fingers crossed, I will inform on Monday if it's sorted cheers every 1 for the info.

Didn't end up having to fit it as it scared the other 1 into behaving <_<

:rolleyes: Ha,my mate insists on RAC membership for the very same reason..his cars have never broken-down when he has valid membership..kharma insurance :icon_salut: